McCoy says Football is Fun Again!

By Pete Sweeney Sep 23, 2019, 11:28am CDT 

LeSean McCoy had his best game as a Kansas City Chief Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens at a time the team needed it the most—with starter Damien Williams out of the lineup as he nursed a knee injury.

What perhaps made it even more impressive was that McCoy was himself questionable and still played through a lingering ankle injury. He accumulated 80 yards from scrimmage and got into the end zone twice in the Chiefs’ 33-28 win.

The 11-year veteran was thus a topic of conversation in the locker room after the game.

“LeSean is a great guy with a ton of experience,” right guard Laurent Duvernay-Tardif said. “What strikes me the most from him was, the first thing he did when he walked in the locker room was introduce himself to the O-line. He said we are going to roll together and get this thing done. I really respect that, and you want to block for a guy like that. He’s a great teammate, a great leader and he got a couple of good runs tonight and that makes us happy for sure.

“Coming out of last week it was one of our key points of emphasis to be able to run the ball against a pretty good run defense. We were able to do that today and we are pretty happy about it.”

The former Buffalo Bills running back had to leave the game in the third quarter when his ankle flared up.

“It just wasn’t right,” he said before assuring reporters he’d be ready to go next Sunday against the Detroit Lions. “As a competitor, most guys lie to try not to get off the field. I have another week to prepare for it, rehab and get better. This offense is amazing. I’m anxious to get back and play with them. It’s fun; football is fun again.”

McCoy said he had “no fear” that he’d miss Sunday’s game.

“Just rehab it up, get ready for next week.”

16 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

I think he stays in KC for a few more seasons.

I doubt it. If he keeps up the form I can see a mid level contract coming his way in FA to stabilize some RB group. With all the young talent we won't be giving him that deal to end his career. May be another year for a SB push but that's it. 

14 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Williams looked fast too. He was clocked at 20.7 miles mph 

he ran well. More of him please 

hardman was 21.7 mph FYI 

I liked that running out of the spread, Williams hits the hole and goes.  He's similar to how McCoy runs, I feel like the other Williams doesn't have the same vision and is also a bit slower to hit the hole.

Trusting Williams on that screen pass to ice the game was huge also.

10 minutes ago, soonerborn77 said:

I liked that running out of the spread, Williams hits the hole and goes.  He's similar to how McCoy runs, I feel like the other Williams doesn't have the same vision and is also a bit slower to hit the hole.

Trusting Williams on that screen pass to ice the game was huge also.

I want more of him moving forward. He looks good. Fresh legs. It’s a good thing having this stable of backs.

13 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

It's a long season.  Everyone is going to get plenty of touches down the road.

Yup, depth is huge for us.  Injuries to Hill, Williams and Fisher will help us down the road also since young guys are stepping up and getting experience.  I also like that we've been able to play our two deep on defense since we've gone into the 4th quarter with huge leads in every game.

1 minute ago, liquidfriend said:

Chemistry isn't going to mean much when Tom Brady shreds you apart.

Actually, I think it does.  If things start going wrong, a team with chemistry will pull together and try to overcome.  A team without it will be pointing fingers and stay down. 

38 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

Brady has played nobody so far. D is improving. Mahomes will outshoot him.

2 hours ago, Calichief said:

Chiefs offense is maybe the fastest offense in the history of the NFL. Only thing close is 99 Rams and they were on turf. 

We are a lot faster on D this year as well. We didn't have any safeties last year. 

11 minutes ago, DefensiveMan said:

Chiefs offense is maybe the fastest offense in the history of the NFL. Only thing close is 99 Rams and they were on turf. 

We are a lot faster on D this year as well. We didn't have any safeties last year. 

speaking of turf, Brady told the higher ups he hated playing on grass when it got cold out because it turned to crap, shortly after they put in turf.  I'm wondering if Mahomes will do the same thing, honestly to see our speed on turf I think it would be awesome.  I know grass is tradition but it turns to crap in December and especially in the playoffs, all it does it hurt our speed. 

I take it back, looks like it wasn't Brady that asked for it, they just did it on their own.

19 hours ago, jetlord said:

Actually, I think it does.  If things start going wrong, a team with chemistry will pull together and try to overcome.  A team without it will be pointing fingers and stay down. 

Eh.  It's still going to take talent and physicality to beat him.  Gotta disrupt the timing on his routes.