Pats-Chiefs on colllision course for AFC Title

11 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Per this, we were actually 16-2 from 2015-2017, and then we were 5-1 last year.  So we were slightly better by raw record (21-3 vs. 19-5) and it's pretty easy to argue it was against better competition.

• 2015:  DEN 12-4, OAK 7-9, SD 4-12 vs. NYJ 10-6, BUF 8-8, MIA 6-10
  • 2016:  OAK 12-4, DEN 9-7, SD 5-11 vs. MIA 10-6, BUF 7-9, NYJ 5-11
  • 2017:  LAC 9-7, OAK 6-10, DEN 5-11 vs. BUF 9-7, MIA 6-10, NJY 5-11
  • 2018:  LAC 12-4, DEN 6-10, OAK 4-12 vs. MIA 7-9, BUF 6-10, NYJ 4-12

Total 2015-2018 (not including KC or NE):  AFC West 91-101, AFC East 83-109

Both records are losing records in part because they do not include KC/NE, who won all of those division championships except for Denver in 2015 at 12-4.

So, per the above, it matters a lot whether you include 2014 or not (our worst season under Reid, and Peyton had not fallen apart yet).  Since then KC has a slightly better record against, I would argue, significantly better competition.  AFC West without KC:  eight games better overall record, 3 12-win teams, 2 more with winning records.  AFC East without NE:  2 10-win teams and only one more with a winning record and one .500 team).

Also your numbers are wrong for 2017.  We were 5-1, only loss was the early Thursday night game against Oakland.  Link above matches with my numbers.

I went back 5 years- arbitrary number....good grief...

So adding a win makes you dead even with NE vs your own division. Why does it matter if we include the 2014 Season? Ti have the same record vs division as the Pats did against theirs shows you how good the Chiefs really were/are.

To have the same divisional record of the PATS while playing better competition, says something about the Chiefs.

🙄

1 minute ago, Handswarmer said:

So adding a win makes you dead even with NE vs your own division. Why does it matter if we include the 2014 Season? Ti have the same record vs division as the Pats did against theirs shows you how good the Chiefs really were/are.

To have the same divisional record of the PATS while playing better competition, says something about the Chiefs.

🙄

I wasn't critical of your choice to go back to 2014; going back to only 2015 was kind of arbitrary on my part but it was mostly because the first link I found on the topic used that time period.  We agree that both are impressive division records and the Chiefs are even more impressive based on the competition level.

I was merely pointing out that if you go even more recent by one year---and if you need a non-arbitrary reason for this, I think starting in 2015 is a better representation of what our team and the rest of the AFC West are like today---then the numbers are even better for us.

2 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

I wasn't critical of your choice to go back to 2014; going back to only 2015 was kind of arbitrary on my part but it was mostly because the first link I found on the topic used that time period.  We agree that both are impressive division records and the Chiefs are even more impressive based on the competition level.

I was merely pointing out that if you go even more recent by one year---and if you need a non-arbitrary reason for this, I think starting in 2015 is a better representation of what our team and the rest of the AFC West are like today---then the numbers are even better for us.

8 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

🙄

3 hours ago, reesebobby said:

Yeah, for as easy as the Patriots division schedule is, they have a fairly rough patch before the play us.  At Ravens, at Eagles, Cowboys at home and then at Texans.  They sure could drop at least one of those.  And we've got the Texans and Packers to worry about.  Obviously any given Sunday, but aside from an upset there's some tough games coming up. 

Don't forget about the Vikings. After what will be an emotional matchup with Aaron Rodgers on SNF we have to play what I think is a better overall Vikings team a week later. Plus even though we've had no problems going through our first three opponents defenses like swiss cheese, I think this Fisher injury in particular makes as succeptable for a while still against even fringe playoff contenders with the personel or scheme to exploit it. 

We are the team to beat in the NFL right now. Every team is basically coming out to prove that they have either a great defense that can stop us or an offense that's better than ours. Tough to be in this position but with Mahomes I guess we need to get used to being here. 

On 9/26/2019 at 3:15 PM, Mloe68 said:

Don't forget about the Vikings. After what will be an emotional matchup with Aaron Rodgers on SNF we have to play what I think is a better overall Vikings team a week later. Plus even though we've had no problems going through our first three opponents defenses like swiss cheese, I think this Fisher injury in particular makes as succeptable for a while still against even fringe playoff contenders with the personel or scheme to exploit it. 

Yeah, the better team doesn't always win.  Otherwise, this game could just be played on paper. At least once or twice per season, NE drops a game completely unexpectedly.  Same will happen to us, guarenteed (almost :lol:)

33 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Yeah, the better team doesn't always win.  Otherwise, this game could just be played on paper. At least once or twice per season, NE drops a game completely unexpectedly.  Same will happen to us, guarenteed (almost :lol:)

Maybe today. Lions will bring it today.

Last year including the playoffs we lost three total games to the eventual Super Bowl teams, plus two games to playoff teams. No losses to non-playoff teams. 

Losing games to bad teams is a function of conservative play and/or limited talent. We're certainly capable of losing to a bad team here or there, but I think going forward it will be a lot less common than in the days of Martyball, Matt Cassel, or Alex Smith.