Can we agree, PFF is worthless

Patrick Mahomes who is on a record breaking terror through the first 3 weeks is ranked 6th best QB in the league after 3 games.

6th. How can anyone have any faith in these guys? I know I have been down n them, but this clearly leaves no doubt that they are nothing more than a questionable opinion. There is no science to their ranking whatsoever. It’s just a bunch of guys trying to prove to you that you aren’t smart enough to judge players by watching them play.

15 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Patrick Mahomes who is on a record breaking terror through the first 3 weeks is ranked 6th best QB in the league after 3 games.

6th. How can anyone have any faith in these guys? I know I have been down n them, but this clearly leaves no doubt that they are nothing more than a questionable opinion. There is no science to their ranking whatsoever. It’s just a bunch of guys trying to prove to you that you aren’t smart enough to judge players by watching them play.

I heard that on the radio yesterday...don't know how they back that crap up

16 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Nearly half the teams in the NFL use the PFF rankings in some way. So no...we cant agree that they are worthless.

So you are suggesting that coaches consult PFF to see how their players played? How exactly do they use it?

Does Jacksonville know the Nelson is better than Ramsey? Should we tell them?

3 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Numbers don't tell the full truth, they just give an idea. Regarding that PFF is a decent source but there are always exceptions to actually taking it as an absolute ranking. It basically gives information about the "better" or "worse" players as a group without a clear ranking of them in between.

But I think that is my biggest beef. They don’t use numbers. The numbers say Pat is on pace to have the greatest season of all time. And he is 6th. Not 2nd or 3rd, but 6th. It defies logic.

PFF has value but needs to be taken with a grain of salt.  There’s a reason analytics work, but under scrutiny of situation, responsibility and opponent which PFF can’t always measure that correctly.

And a few good/bad games skew overall number WAY too much. 

14 minutes ago, DieHard said:

But I think that is my biggest beef. They don’t use numbers. The numbers say Pat is on pace to have the greatest season of all time. And he is 6th. Not 2nd or 3rd, but 6th. It defies logic.

I think QB numbers don't mean much. If the team is already in a position to win then it turns to handing off to the RB. The sample size is too little right now to take them seriously. Brady didn't even play a real game right now so I don't even know if he has shown anything superior to what a guy like Alex Smith might have done in his stead. 

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

I mean people were worried he would start regressing this year 😂

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

Numbers don't tell the full truth, they just give an idea. Regarding that PFF is a decent source but there are always exceptions to actually taking it as an absolute ranking. It basically gives information about the "better" or "worse" players as a group without a clear ranking of them in between.

A Bad Idea

1 hour ago, PAChiefsFan79 said:

PFF is valid. BUT I am not surprised that Mahomes takes riskier throws than Tom Brady. It's one of the reasons that make him so good with the raw physical talent. 

At the end of the day though, Mahomes positive results greatly outperform anything negative he does.

You do realize that assumption is completely false.He actually takes fewer risks.  There was some chart about this On Twitter a week ago.  He is making smart and accurate throws.   This sort of ranking puts the burden on them to explain how.  I could see 2nd or 3rd but 6th.....ok

One thing about QB is that the MVP will throw the ball 50 yards downfield and miss a WR by 2 feet and its a negative play in the same token Mitch Trubisky throws the ball 10 yards downfield and misses by 2 feet. So its not apples to apples. Again PFF can be useful. But its limited like any other evaluation device that doesn't incorporate enough factors or even understand what the player involved in the play had the responsiblity to do. Its more about easy to see wins and losses vs a single player. 

2 hours ago, DieHard said:

So you are suggesting that coaches consult PFF to see how their players played? How exactly do they use it?

Does Jacksonville know the Nelson is better than Ramsey? Should we tell them?

I dunno how the teams use the data but they do provide data to every NFL team plus 60 or so college teams.