Frank clark

2 hours ago, xen said:

Uhhhhh did you see Seattle's dline last year?

Yeah the idea that Frank Clark was aided by superstars around him is a false narrative.   As far as sacks go, we can't stop the run so teams aren't passing as much.   Last year I think our guys had a ton of opportunities playing with a huge lead to tee off.   It would be the same if our Offense could pull their head out and also get healthy.   We will then be talking about this porous pass defense.

3 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Yeah the idea that Frank Clark was aided by superstars around him is a false narrative.   As far as sacks go, we can't stop the run so teams aren't passing as much.   Last year I think our guys had a ton of opportunities playing with a huge lead to tee off.   It would be the same if our Offense could pull their head out and also get healthy.   We will then be talking about this porous pass defense.

Lol, yea I think you're right.  However,  I think we have a better secondary than we had last year so I'd be willing to chances on the secondary...at least until they prove otherwise. 

29 minutes ago, artsy said:

Lol, yea I think you're right.  However,  I think we have a better secondary than we had last year so I'd be willing to chances on the secondary...at least until they prove otherwise. 

I agree.  Its why I'm dumbfounded as to why Spags didn't load up that box in the 4th and force Watson to beat us with his arm.   He's a good qb but he has been known to float some up and we already picked him twice earlier.  Ifs and buts....

41 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

I'll have to adjust one of the Clark statements.

The play where Watson galloped right in for the TD when Clark was near by was actually blown by Reggie Ragland.

THeres no excuses, Clark was in position to make the play. We paid him, so we should be getting on his ass for lack of play. He beasted it up in Seattle, now do the same for us

19 minutes ago, Chiefmanzada said:

THeres no excuses, Clark was in position to make the play. We paid him, so we should be getting on his ass for lack of play. He beasted it up in Seattle, now do the same for us

His assignment was to contain, which he did.  Ragland blew his assignment from the start. 

2 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

His assignment was to contain, which he did.  Ragland blew his assignment from the start. 

If you watch, Ragland took off chasing the RB so that Watson couldn't throw it to him. Clark should've made that tackle. It was him the 100M man against a qb, and he got beat.

14 minutes ago, artsy said:

If you watch, Ragland took off chasing the RB so that Watson couldn't throw it to him. Clark should've made that tackle. It was him the 100M man against a qb, and he got beat.

I would strongly recommend watching it again.  

Ragland bit on the handoff fake and got sucked into the LoS by a RB that had nothing when he was supposed to be the designated spy.

2 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

I would strongly recommend watching it again.  

Ragland bit on the handoff fake and got sucked into the LoS by a RB that had nothing when he was supposed to be the designated spy.

Yea, he did bite on the play action, but I saw him chasing the rb to prevent Watson from throwing it to him..presumably..

Maybe not.

They both suck ass imo, so it's no big deal to me..

Just now, artsy said:

Yea, he did bite on the play action, but I saw him chasing the rb to prevent Watson from throwing it to him..presumably..

Maybe not.

They both suck ass imo, so it's no big deal to me..

There was no option of throwing.  The play was designed to be a fake handoff into a Watson bootleg all along.

In short yardage situations like that any Defensive Coordinator is going to have a designated spy on a dual-threat QB like Deshaun Watson.  Frank Clark was supposed to keep him from bouncing out wide and keep him inside, which is exactly what he did.  Ragland was supposed to crash the play and keep him from scoring, which is hard to do when he's sitting in a pile.

I think people need to better understand the scheme and why things are happening the way they are.  Some really lazy stuff goin' on.

3 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

There was no option of throwing.  The play was designed to be a fake handoff into a Watson bootleg all along.

In short yardage situations like that any Defensive Coordinator is going to have a designated spy on a dual-threat QB like Deshaun Watson.  Frank Clark was supposed to keep him from bouncing out wide and keep him inside, which is exactly what he did.  Ragland was supposed to crash the play and keep him from scoring, which is hard to do when he's sitting in a pile.

I think people need to better understand the scheme and why things are happening the way they are.  Some really lazy stuff goin' on.

If that was the playcall, then I agree with you. Ragland screwed the pooch ...again.

5 minutes ago, artsy said:

If that was the playcall, then I agree with you. Ragland screwed the pooch ...again.

After the ball is snapped, Watson turns and faces the RB to do the face to sell the hell out of it.  No way he's capable of doing a zone read concept with how he's turned away from the rest of the play.  That's a real tip right there that it was a designed fake hand off bootleg all along.

The play was sniffed out well by Clark because Watson had to dance around for awhile, but it was essentially doomed because Ragland got sucked into the fake and was busy trying to swim through all the garbage to the action.  Never was going to happen.

It's easy to blame Clark and say he should of made the play anyhow, but it has to be well understood that the Defensive Line is being demanded to 2 gap areas and the Linebackers are supposed to be free flowing to the ball.

With that in mind, I can't help but wonder why you would trade for a one gap excel-er than demand him to do something different

1 minute ago, liquidfriend said:

After the ball is snapped, Watson turns and faces the RB to do the face to sell the hell out of it.  No way he's capable of doing a zone read concept with how he's turned away from the rest of the play.  That's a real tip right there that it was a designed fake hand off bootleg all along.

The play was sniffed out well by Clark because Watson had to dance around for awhile, but it was essentially doomed because Ragland got sucked into the fake and was busy trying to swim through all the garbage to the action.  Never was going to happen.

It's easy to blame Clark and say he should of made the play anyhow, but it has to be well understood that the Defensive Line is being demanded to 2 gap areas and the Linebackers are supposed to be free flowing to the ball.

Yea. I was looking at Ragland, and he just turned around and started chasing the rb into the endzone, while Clark was left in a one on one with Watson, so I don't know.

11 minutes ago, artsy said:

Yea. I was looking at Ragland, and he just turned around and started chasing the rb into the endzone, while Clark was left in a one on one with Watson, so I don't know.

Ragland 'saw' a handoff and darted into the planned open gap to get sucked into the fake to spring open Watson for a one on one match up that was heavily in his favor.

Basically Steve Spagnuolo wish listed a guy that did well in a 4-3 Under Front with a front 4 that shot gaps and attacked downhill and demanded that he play the role of a gap controller with read and react responsibilities. 

So basically it makes a lot more sense as to why Frank Clark is just laying into the Left Tackle.

The Defense was supposed to be a one gap crash the play from upfront Defense with 2 out of 3 of the linebackers patrolling the zone while the third one plays a rover sort of role. 

Instead you've got a front trying to plug gaps and Linebackers being asked to handle responsibilities that they just aren't capable of doing.  While Spagnuolo does a pretty decent job of in game adjustments, whatever system he coddled together this year fucking sucks.  He needs to trash every single thing he's ever learned from his stay in New York.

Clark needs to stop thinking too much and just start playing like he did in Seattle. He was wrecking havoc all day using his pure instincts and athletic abilities. Not sure why he's changed..Probably bc the talent around him is awful? This is not the same player we traded for. Ragland, is who is he. 

2 minutes ago, DefensiveMan said:

Clark needs to stop thinking too much and just start playing like he did in Seattle. He was wrecking havoc all day using his pure instincts and athletic abilities. Not sure why he's changed..Probably bc the talent around him is awful? This is not the same player we traded for. Ragland, is who is he. 

He's being told to be a read and react player. 

18 hours ago, kkuenn said:

He had a pretty good game and made a big play but its not getting Watson down that gets all the PR. Reality is if you go watch that play again he has slowed Watson down and forced him inside where Ragland should have been. But Rags had his back to the play in a Dee Ford type moment highlighting a HUGE problem with our defense. There just isn't any help. If the primary guy doesn't completely make the play, its going to be a success 98 percent of the time. 

45 minutes ago, artsy said:

Exact video I just saw. Ragland completely blew it, not Clark. Yes I would have liked for Clark to get it done by himself, but that isn't the way good teams play defense. You force runners where you want them to go and somebody is there to help. Not on our defense.