Frank clark

23 hours ago, sith13 said:

They are focusing on neutralizing him and that opens up the door for other defenders. However Clark should get to a point where the effort put in to neutralizing him won't really stop him which will come over time IMO. Right now he's not a beast but that'll likely change over the next few weeks. This defense is still a work in progress. 

Grunny talked about that on the radio this week. He said its plain as day when watching the film this defense is playing really hard. But likewise that players look like they are still not real sure of what they are supposed to do and often leaving their gap responsibilites. He was pretty adamant about seeing more speed and likes the overall potential. But you are right in line with him that this is clearly a work in progress. Its almost like rookie draft picks. You need more time to really be able to evaluate this thing. And on point is the reality it wasn't year one, but year two that Spags delivered MASSIVE improvement in two of his defenses. 

24 minutes ago, sith13 said:

I thought the issue with him was the inability to get in position to make a play.

From what i see he is an incredibly smart player who sniffs out screens and reverses easily and is getting in great spots to blow up the play only to be juked by the ball carrier at that point. I have heard all my life things like “tyson jackson is doing his job just because he does nothing doesn’t mean he is failing.” No in actuality Tyson Jackson sucked. So i just go by what i see myself.

Now as i have stated I wasn’t a fan of trading for clarke, but that being said i think he is a huge upgrade over dee ford, and i think he has the ability to be a khalil mack type player, i just haven’t seen it yet.

what i see when clarke plays well is 90% of dee fords speed rush ability with 90% of justin houstons run stuffing and football smarts, which is a damn good player. I just think we need to hold this guy to the standard he is capable of.

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

Grunny talked about that on the radio this week. He said its plain as day when watching the film this defense is playing really hard. But likewise that players look like they are still not real sure of what they are supposed to do and often leaving their gap responsibilites. He was pretty adamant about seeing more speed and likes the overall potential. But you are right in line with him that this is clearly a work in progress. Its almost like rookie draft picks. You need more time to really be able to evaluate this thing. And on point is the reality it wasn't year one, but year two that Spags delivered MASSIVE improvement in two of his defenses. 

I hope it's enough. That Hitchens though. Good thing we have decent safeties. 

It's hard to tell when you are watching a game who is doing what on defense.  And I have not broken down film or anything.  But this defense is looking light years ahead of anything I've seen here in a while already.  They are getting stops,  3 and outs even, and generally looking like an actual real defense that has a plan.  I don't know how much of that is Clark, but I personally do not miss Dee Ford in the least. 

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

I'm guessing we will start to see much improvement by week 12.  We have guite a few non-rookies on our team who know the game.

2 hours ago, reesebobby said:

It's hard to tell when you are watching a game who is doing what on defense.  And I have not broken down film or anything.  But this defense is looking light years ahead of anything I've seen here in a while already.  They are getting stops,  3 and outs even, and generally looking like an actual real defense that has a plan.  I don't know how much of that is Clark, but I personally do not miss Dee Ford in the least. 

The D is getting better.  They still get out of position and hesitate at times, but the level of intensity is much higher than last year.  Give Clark some credit for that.  Claiborne will start practicing next week and could give the secondary a boost.  I think the D could rise to average by playoff time and with the 3-0 start, the team can afford to wait for that. 

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

The D is getting better.  They still get out of position and hesitate at times, but the level of intensity is much higher than last year.  Give Clark some credit for that.  Claiborne will start practicing next week and could give the secondary a boost.  I think the D could rise to average by playoff time and with the 3-0 start, the team can afford to wait for that. 

Agree. The D is exposed more because KC is often leading and that forces teams to take more risks , pass more often and go on 4th down more often.

I'll preface by saying I'm willing to be patient as Clark and others learn the defense. But. We gave up a 1st, a 2nd and swapped 3rds plus a truckload of cash for Clark. I'm guilty of wanting him to walk in blow shit up immediately. Of course teams are going to key on him, this shouldn't be news to anyone. I at least have some confidence that this D will continue to improve whereas last year I expected the D to be garbage weekly and they were.

38 minutes ago, the Warparty said:

My eyeballs tell me that at least this D gets off the field more than last year’s.

And overall that’s what we need!

So what if it’s not yet quite highlight worthy. 😛 

Agree. The D is on the highlights. Its the other teams highlight with KC  D chasing them.😪

59 minutes ago, the Warparty said:

My eyeballs tell me that at least this D gets off the field more than last year’s.

And overall that’s what we need!

So what if it’s not yet quite highlight worthy. 😛 

I've been posting since the end of last season that all we need on defense is one more 3 and out per game.  So, far we have gotten almost two more it seems.  By the end of the season we will be adding in another and maybe a turnover or two. Has anyone noticed how much fewer penalties we are getting?  PI is way down.  I see a lot of good things in progress.  With Mahomes, an average D will win us some Lombardi's.

6 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I've been posting since the end of last season that all we need on defense is one more 3 and out per game.  So, far we have gotten almost two more it seems.  By the end of the season we will be adding in another and maybe a turnover or two. Has anyone noticed how much fewer penalties we are getting?  PI is way down.  I see a lot of good things in progress.  With Mahomes, an average D will win us some Lombardi's.

I agree with this. Nfl is about breaking up a pass on 3rd and 6 a few times a game

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Agree, but the Chiefs haven't faced Brady, Goff, Wilson, or Rivers like last year yet.  Add in a game against Rogers and we'll see how quickly the D improves during the season.  

28 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Agree, but the Chiefs haven't faced Brady, Goff, Wilson, or Rivers like last year yet.  Add in a game against Rogers and we'll see how quickly the D improves during the season.  

Wilson is the only one that poses a running threat really.  LJ scares me more than any of those guys not named Brady.

31 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Yep. We haven’t faced a legit QB yet who is capable of exposing our corners.  The type of QBs you will see in January 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

True. But with our terrible D last year, we still came within one Dee Ford helmet thickness of beating them in the AFC championship game. We are as good as the Pat's without even cheating.

Spagnuola-

"As a staff, as a group of players and coaches, we're still trying to figure out what it is we do best, who fits where. There is still a little bit of that going on and throughout the season we'll be doing that."

Frank Clark-

"It's a new defense,. That's the biggest challenge. I've been saying it all year. When you've got a new defense, there are a lot of challenges. It's not going to be perfect ... you're going to fail wishing for that every time. There are still guys grasping the concept of where they need to be, where they need to fill and exactly what job they exactly need to do."

Andy Reid -

"We're so close," You see it. We're right there. We're getting our hands on the ball or we're hesitant in some areas to go get the ball. They're small things but I look at that and I go, ‘You give that a little time and those things change.'

8 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Looks like we could have saved a lot of money with Trey Flowers and 2 picks, and if not Kpass doesn't look like a drop off. 

YEP......Not Clarks fault. Its on Veach and whoever else signed off. Its easy to overpay....if you do you better win. Im sure Seattle is still laughing.