Chiefs Lions Game Thread

45 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

So yards are more important than points?

Let's stop being politicians or MSM, they have given up 132.1 yds rushing per game this year which is bad but not 500.

Read back a little. I was talking about rushing yards per game. You chimed in, incorrectly. NE and SF are great at total yards per game. 

So I retorted with total yards.

Sorry if I’m not clear. I thought it was obvious what I was referring to. As we clearly aren’t allowing 500 rushing yards per game.

Front 6 looked pretty good again. I would say front 7 but we rarely have 3 LBs on the field. Hot hens is the popular whipping boy but had 6 tackles and a TD saving PD. Not sure what more he can do. Willianms looked very solid again. Love that guy. And Ogbah.  Ogbah, Clark, Jones and Nnadi looked good. Not sure why we struggle against the run but I think it’s 2 things. We don’t play 3 LBs and Jones is a much better pass rusher than run stuffer.

LA lot of holes in the zone between CBs and Safeties. Hard to say what the assignments are but I feel like it’s a combination. I thought the first 2 games Thornhill played well and HB didn’t. Last two games I thought HB out played Thornhill.

Offense is easy to figure out. Interior O line. But Pat has a ridiculous feel for pressure and makes them look better than they are. With such a dangerous QB we should be rushing for massive yards. Thank goodness we picked up Shady.

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

Has Damien Wilson been our best LB?   Yeah I hate that Hitchens hasn't even lived up to part of his contract.  We really need him to elevate his game.   

I think Wilson has been our best LB.  He had a few good plays out there today.

Someone mentioned our LBs not filling the holes (I totally agree with that assessment on running plays).  Wilson had one play in the 2nd half where he read a play, filled the hole, then tackled the RB for a loss.

15 minutes ago, ChiefsFoolFan said:

I think Wilson has been our best LB.  He had a few good plays out there today.

Someone mentioned our LBs not filling the holes (I totally agree with that assessment on running plays).  Wilson had one play in the 2nd half where he read a play, filled the hole, then tackled the RB for a loss.

I didn't see them not filling the holes, I saw them not tackling once they got to the holes.

I was really watching Hitchens today...and he simply is not reacting fast enough. Lineman are on him with a quickness. Then there were several plays where I saw him come downhill hard but "filled"' the wrong hole. It was like he guessed where the RB was going. I think playing for Sutton last season really screwed him. 

2 minutes ago, ChiefThunder said:

I was really watching Hitchens today...and he simply is not reacting fast enough. Lineman are on him with a quickness. Then there were several plays where I saw him come downhill hard but "filled"' the wrong hole. It was like he guessed where the RB was going. I think playing for Sutton last season really screwed him. 

He is simply not very good. Dallas had a strong defense and he played a role. Same as Seattle...... big strong defense and Clark had a role. Hitchens has proven he is a bench player at best. I think Clark will come around and be very good not great.

1 minute ago, FANATIC said:

He is simply not very good. Dallas had a strong defense and he played a role. Same as Seattle...... big strong defense and Clark had a role. Hitchens has proven he is a bench player at best. I think Clark will come around and be very good not great.

I want to see more of Nieman

25 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

Mentioned this last year, I'm concerned with Veach's ability to evaluate defensive talent, especially DBs. I'm pretty sure Andy takes care of shopping for the groceries on offense. We are showing Vermiel-like tendencies. Nobody can stop us and we can't stop anybody.  

I dont think Reid has the time to do a ton of scouting given the fact he is coaching a SB contender, drawing up game plans, watching tape on opposing teams, running practices, etc.

If Veach gets the blame for not being able to evaluate talent on defense, then he gets credit for helping construct the best offense in the league too. This isnt ala carte. You are picking and choosing the parts of our performance you want to give him credit for.

Having said that, you aren't wrong. Speaks, DOD, Watts, Tremon Smith, signing Hitchens, trading for Fuller... Almost nothing has worked out as far as moves he made on defense that first year. But Thornhill looks good, Mathieu has flashed, Damien Wilson looks good, Breeland looks good, Ward is definitely improving, Ogbah, and Okafor have been solid. So the moves from this past off season are showing more promise.

I'd say being 4-0 gives us plenty of reason to see if they gel some more and can become that middle of the road unit we need them to. Theyve had flashes of being a good defense that we really didnt see last season. 

4 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I'd say being 4-0 gives us plenty of reason to see if they gel some more and can become that middle of the road unit we need them to. Theyve had flashes of being a good defense that we really didnt see last season. 

That's all we can ask for when the majority of the D has be overhauled. Can't expect more when the D was the worst in the league last year. 

5 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I dont think Reid has the time to do a ton of scouting given the fact he is coaching a SB contender, drawing up game plans, watching tape on opposing teams, running practices, etc.

If Veach gets the blame for not being able to evaluate talent on defense, then he gets credit for helping construct the best offense in the league too. This isnt ala carte. You are picking and choosing the parts of our performance you want to give him credit for.

Having said that, you aren't wrong. Speaks, DOD, Watts, Tremon Smith, signing Hitchens, trading for Fuller... Almost nothing has worked out as far as moves he made on defense that first year. But Thornhill looks good, Mathieu has flashed, Damien Wilson looks good, Breeland looks good, Ward is definitely improving, Ogbah, and Okafor have been solid. So the moves from this past off season are showing more promise.

I would put Fuller out of that list. Smith trade was basically a show of strength to the NFL as Chiefs wanted to trade him to a good place and Fuller was a solid CB in that mix. Not sure if he was a mistake but definitely one I can live with in that scenario. 

So far I think Thornhill is the only Veach prospect that worked out on either side of the ball but he seems to be good with second tier FAs. I don't think any of his flashy moves worked out though. Clark trade looks to be very bad, so far HB is just a little better than Sorensen, Watkins looks like a massive overpay, Hitchens is just barely better than Ragland. He looks to have done better with guys who are generally overlooked sort of like Dorsey on that regard. Okafor seems like a decent addition and Ogbah looks like a steal considering the price we paid. Breeland looks pretty good and we basically need Claiborne to get to that level really fast.