Offseason acquisition

Breeland, Wilson, Ogbah. In that order those three small acquisitions have made the most impact. HB, is coming along and Clark will get there. I think he'll get with Brendan Daly and figure his struggles out. Maybe Spags needs to move Clark around a bit more. He's good with stunts and twists. I'm concerned with Hitchens I just don't see it with this guy.

Chris Jones...what more can we say? He's simply...the best.

I would be down to move clarke inside several times a game to get ogbah more snaps at end just to see how it goes. Ogbah clarke jones, kpass/okafor. Could easily stunt from there

33 minutes ago, DefensiveMan said:

Breeland, Wilson, Ogbah. In that order those three small acquisitions have made the most impact. HB, is coming along and Clark will get there. I think he'll get with Brendan Daly and figure his struggles out. Maybe Spags needs to move Clark around a bit more. He's good with stunts and twists. I'm concerned with Hitchens I just don't see it with this guy.

Chris Jones...what more can we say? He's simply...the best.

I think he came here to flash his talent & stay healthy for a big FA deal. Wouldn't mind extending him for an acceptable amount but not sure how much cash we'll have either. We can't really overhaul the entire CB group every season so keeping some guys on the roster would be a huge plus. 

If Claiborne plays well, a big if, the Chiefs' defense will look much better.  Would a starting group of Wilson, Neiman, and Lee at LB work in the base package.  Neither Hitchens nor Ragland seems to be working out and I have little confidence in DOD  Maybe a stud LB is becoming a bigger priority than CB

16 minutes ago, jetlord said:

If Claiborne plays well, a big if, the Chiefs' defense will look much better.  Would a starting group of Wilson, Neiman, and Lee at LB work in the base package.  Neither Hitchens nor Ragland seems to be working out and I have little confidence in DOD  Maybe a stud LB is becoming a bigger priority than CB

Unless Hitchens steps it up we will need that MLB role filled. He needs to be more proactive than the wait and react shit we have seen lately without any player recognition. I know Nieman will be playing here soon, just hope he can replicate his play at Iowa. He has good instincts, takes good angles and is able to cover too. If they play just 2 LBs it should be him and Wilson.

I was actually thinking that maybe Jones could move outside once in awhile on first and second downs.  When I went to the Seattle game last year I was surprised how often Jones was off the field on first downs.  I assume this is because he is not as good against the run.  I think he has the athleticism to play anywhere, and when teams are inclined to run we can put a run stuffer in the middle but still have Jones on the field by moving him to end.  I am not sure if Jones has the motor of J.J. Watt, but Watt moves around the line and rarely takes a play off.

2 hours ago, VIChiefsFan said:

I was actually thinking that maybe Jones could move outside once in awhile on first and second downs.  When I went to the Seattle game last year I was surprised how often Jones was off the field on first downs.  I assume this is because he is not as good against the run.  I think he has the athleticism to play anywhere, and when teams are inclined to run we can put a run stuffer in the middle but still have Jones on the field by moving him to end.  I am not sure if Jones has the motor of J.J. Watt, but Watt moves around the line and rarely takes a play off.

I think he gets gassed easier than those high motor guys.   I do like your idea though.  That would be a much stouter Dline as well.   

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Unless Hitchens steps it up we will need that MLB role filled. He needs to be more proactive than the wait and react shit we have seen lately without any player recognition. I know Nieman will be playing here soon, just hope he can replicate his play at Iowa. He has good instincts, takes good angles and is able to cover too. If they play just 2 LBs it should be him and Wilson.

I would be excited to see Nieman get a shot. He has great instincts in limited time. I thought the guy that would end up next to Wilson would be Lee with that speed. But he is still a work in progress. He flashes at times. Hitchens is a lot like Dirty Dan. Dan is going to make a lot of tackles when he is on the field but they will be after a 6 yard gain rather than a tackle for a loss. Both play hard but are physically limited. I got no problem having them on the team just not as starters. The Pats usually make a living with guys like that.

2 hours ago, DieHard said:

Breeland and Ogbah were great pickups. Next would be Wilson and Thornhill IMO.

The thing that I wanna see with Thornhill is doing a better job wrapping up in run support. He misses his fair share of tackles. He's learning I know.

48 minutes ago, dhitter said:

The thing that I wanna see with Thornhill is doing a better job wrapping up in run support. He misses his fair share of tackles. He's learning I know.

Yeah we have had our share of missed tackles. I am surprised he hasn’t picked some passes off. He was a pick machine in camp.

6 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Pro Bowler?  Hm, probably not.  Compared to the shit we've trotted out since the Peters and Sean Smith duo?  Fuckin' All-Pro.

I don’t think he’ll make the pro bowl, but I do think currently, he is playing right at that level.

I think Breeland will be extended. 3/15 or something along those lines.

I hate to say this but the way it looks right now, Fuller can walk. He will get paid because of his age and pedigree, but I think we've all seen him struggle enough that to know Veach can't give him big money. If they wouldnt pay Nelson they sure arent gonna pay Fuller.

It sucks because he is only 24, but he hasn't come close to the level he was playing at in Washington.

13 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I think Breeland will be extended. 3/15 or something along those lines.

I hate to say this but the way it looks right now, Fuller can walk. He will get paid because of his age and pedigree, but I think we've all seen him struggle enough that to know Veach can't give him big money. If they wouldnt pay Nelson they sure arent gonna pay Fuller.

It sucks because he is only 24, but he hasn't come close to the level he was playing at in Washington.

Breeland signed with Carolina when they thought he was healthy for 3 years, 24 million. IF he continues to surprise and stays healthy, he’s going to at least get Steven Nelson money.  I’d play the hand out with these two and see how they develop within Spags system. Trade for a corner before the deadline to be our anchor through 2021. Draft a corner with our first pick whatever round that might be. And then resign the best of these two. Claiborne and say Fuller could potentially both nab us some comp pick.  Corner fixed, safety fixed, Dline fixed at which point focus goes to MLB.  

20 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Breeland signed with Carolina when they thought he was healthy for 3 years, 24 million. IF he continues to surprise and stays healthy, he’s going to at least get Steven Nelson money.  I’d play the hand out with these two and see how they develop within Spags system. Trade for a corner before the deadline to be our anchor through 2021. Draft a corner with our first pick whatever round that might be. And then resign the best of these two. Claiborne and say Fuller could potentially both nab us some comp pick.  Corner fixed, safety fixed, Dline fixed at which point focus goes to MLB.  

Oline is going to be the first or second pick this year. That’s my prediction. 

5 hours ago, dhitter said:

He's pretty good in the open field but definitely a work in progress closer to the LOS. It's generally the other way around but I guess he needs to improve in his technique. 

2 hours ago, Calichief said:

Wouldn't be surprised if 'or' is replaced with 'and'. Looks like it should have been our first pick this year as well but I guess we can survive a year with shaky OL play. 

4 hours ago, Calichief said:

As it stands right now we have only one corner with any NFL experience (8 career starts) signed next year. It’s priority 1.2 and 3 IMO.  

Meanwhile 4 of our 5 starters on the oline are signed not only next year but through 2021. And our swing tackle as well.  Only Wylie not under contract.  And Allgretti with some real developmental ability inside. How early we may go probably depends on Erving. We can move on with no dead cap and replace him with a draft pick who could compete a guard initially  

But again  our current corner situation is desperate and that’s gotta be the priority early especially in a deep corner draft. Not even sure trading for a guy like Ramsey would change that. JMO. 

3 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

As it stands right now we have only one corner with any NFL experience (8 career starts) signed next year. It’s priority 1.2 and 3 IMO.  

Meanwhile 4 of our 5 starters on the oline are signed not only next year but through 2021. And our swing tackle as well.  Only Wylie not under contract.  And Allgretti with some real developmental ability inside. How early we may go probably depends on Erving. We can move on with no dead cap and replace him with a draft pick who could compete a guard initially  

But again  our current corner situation is desperate and that’s gotta be the priority early especially in a deep corner draft. Not even sure trading for a guy like Ramsey would change that. JMO. 

We can't take care of the entire CB group via draft. We'll probably add 3-4 new names to the mix assuming Ward stays. So we'll likely add 1 or 2 FAs at the position. The same can be said of LG, if we are not in a position to draft a good one we could look for a proven FA but that's easier said than done. Teams don't really let decent linemen leave in FA unless they are going to ask for a lot of money.