Offseason acquisition

Our O line for having the LT missing games has done decent. We also have had to face some of the best front 7s so far too. If a good o line is available i think we go for it in the draft. The players now are getting experience too

Who knows what we have in Allgretti and Rankin. Would love to see them get some time in. Go CB first pick but if the bpa is oline I would not be disappointed 

21 minutes ago, sith13 said:

We can't take care of the entire CB group via draft. We'll probably add 3-4 new names to the mix assuming Ward stays. So we'll likely add 1 or 2 FAs at the position. The same can be said of LG, if we are not in a position to draft a good one we could look for a proven FA but that's easier said than done. Teams don't really let decent linemen leave in FA unless they are going to ask for a lot of money.

The Chiefs have spent my entire Chiefs fandom filling the guard spots with 3rd round picks or later and free agents.  And you are much more apt to find a competent guard in free agency than a corner.

Which is why we probably need to trade for one, draft one early and resign whoever plays best for us this year. Do that with Ward I think it would have potential to be upper echelon group.  

Concern on the oline is center but hopefully Reiter is just finding his way. And Algretti has real potential. But that becomes a day 2 fill if not.  If Reiter starts to pull it together, swing tackle/guard combo in that spot

11 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Our O line for having the LT missing games has done decent. We also have had to face some of the best front 7s so far too. If a good o line is available i think we go for in in the draft. The players now are getting experience too

Who knows what we have in Allgretti and Rankin. Would love to see them get some time in. Go CB first pick but if the bpa is oline I would not be disappointed 

The All 22 film reviews keep showing Erving being really bad. Schwartz isn’t playing near his standard either perhaps still fighting back spasms.  Hasn’t helped. But you are right that Detroit especially has s good Dline

5 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

The All 22 film reviews keep showing Erving being really bad. Schwartz isn’t playing near his standard either perhaps still fighting back spasms.  Hasn’t helped. But you are right that Detroit especially has s good Dline

I think....Only 3 sacks so far this season. Thats really good especially because Mahomes often extends plays and holds onto the ball longer than most.

6 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

The Chiefs have spent my entire Chiefs fandom filling the guard spots with 3rd round picks or later and free agents.  And you are much more apt to find a competent guard in free agency than a corner.

Which is why we probably need to trade for one, draft one early and resign whoever plays best for us this year. Do that with Ward I think it would have potential to be upper echelon group.  

Concern on the oline is center but hopefully Reiter is just finding his way. And Algretti has real potential. But that becomes a day 2 fill if not.  If Reiter starts to pull it together, swing tackle/guard combo in that spot

If we can find a decent FA that would be a boost. At this point I'm not sure what the staff thinks of him but Breeland might be a keeper for the right price. That means finding another 1-year type guy in FA or drafting 2 relatively early. If we trade for one sooner that would be a huge difference but we'll see how things go. 

Linemen generally get overpaid and big guys aren't really worth 1-year prove it deals as most don't really bounce back at a high level after injuries. If we can land a long term solution with a proven guy that will be awesome but need to see how things turn out. 

It's a bummer about Fuller because he was supposed to be a great slot CB, maybe we need to have him play outside mor

https://twitter.com/WichitaChiefSam/status/1178724993762545665?s=20

#Chiefs CB Kendall Fuller slot vs outside in 2019 through Week 4
Slot • 121 Coverage Snaps • 13 Rec on 16 Targets • 183 Yards (1.51 per coverage snap), 2 TD
Outside • 15 Coverage Snaps • 1 Rec on 1 Target • 25 Yards, 0 TD

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

If we can find a decent FA that would be a boost. At this point I'm not sure what the staff thinks of him but Breeland might be a keeper for the right price. That means finding another 1-year type guy in FA or drafting 2 relatively early. If we trade for one sooner that would be a huge difference but we'll see how things go. 

Linemen generally get overpaid and big guys aren't really worth 1-year prove it deals as most don't really bounce back at a high level after injuries. If we can land a long term solution with a proven guy that will be awesome but need to see how things turn out. 

Between Breeland and Fuller we will likely keep one of those guys long term.  Both have played at a high level in the past. Fuller is also only 24 and in his third system in three years. Patience.  I’d like to see Spags get a full year to evaluate.  

On 9/30/2019 at 3:07 PM, kkuenn said:

Unless Hitchens steps it up we will need that MLB role filled. He needs to be more proactive than the wait and react shit we have seen lately without any player recognition. I know Nieman will be playing here soon, just hope he can replicate his play at Iowa. He has good instincts, takes good angles and is able to cover too. If they play just 2 LBs it should be him and Wilson.

I could easily be wrong, but I think HItchens has gotten an unfair shake.  He came into a horrible situation at LB with nothing really helpful around him and no familiarity with Sutton's defense.  Now he has some guys he can fit with but is in a brand new system once again, with new assignments.  He has not had a chance to be able to just react. When he has been able to just react on some plays he hits guys really, really hard and is fast.  He's made some plays in coverage as well.  I feel like HItchens might suddenly be looked upon as a key player once he feels comfortable in a stable system.  He needs to be given a break, and he hasn't had one yet.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I could easily be wrong, but I think HItchens has gotten an unfair shake.  He came into a horrible situation at LB with nothing really helpful around him and no familiarity with Sutton's defense.  Now he has some guys he can fit with but is in a brand new system once again, with new assignments.  He has not had a chance to be able to just react. When he has been able to just react on some plays he hits guys really, really hard and is fast.  He's made some plays in coverage as well.  I feel like HItchens might suddenly be looked upon as a key player once he feels comfortable in a stable system.  He needs to be given a break, and he hasn't had one yet.

I hope for the best of him but so far it has been well below average for his play. He was the one who should recognize and react to plays. He needs to fill the gaps etc. I like the guy but we do need someone to step up in the LB group.

50 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Watched the games. He sucks. Terrible signing. Too slow and not a quick thinker. Every team sees that guy & smiles. He doesnt do anything well. 

16 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Watched the games. He sucks. Terrible signing. Too slow and not a quick thinker. Every team sees that guy & smiles. He doesnt do anything well. 

If he is not a quick thinker, then he does suck, and back to the drawing board.  An LB has to be able to think and react quickly.

32 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

If he is not a quick thinker, then he does suck, and back to the drawing board.  An LB has to be able to think and react quickly.

I’ve seen maybe, maybe 3 plays in 2 years that have stood out. Out of what, 500? 

Not impressed. But maybe it’s the dline not doing their part either. I don’t know. But the run defense sucks. 

2 minutes ago, Calichief said:

I’ve seen maybe, maybe 3 plays on 2 years that have stood out. Out of what, 500? 

Not impressed. But maybe it’s the dline not doing their part either. I don’t know. But the run defense sucks. 

This season will give us an idea if Veach is the guy or was promoted to his level of incompetent. So far some very iffy decisions with high end free agents and draft choices for marginal players. The Smith deal looks like a total loss. Fuller is horrific and Speaks is MIA.. Hey it may be just a matter of time and it works out. I hope it does.

1 hour ago, FANATIC said:

Except lead the LB group in tackles and tied for first in passes defensed. I wish he was better too. But he is not as bad as people think. The D just hadn’t learned to play together yet and the D line hasn’t been able to occupy 5 O linemen with 4 D linemen. Until then we will have an O lineman blocking the second level. 

To blame our problems on one guy just doesn’t make sense. These guys will get better as a unit. I think one improvement could be playing 3 LB instead of bringing in Dan. Lee is hit and miss but I think he could develop into a 3 down guy and help us stay in base more. If we want to stop the run, they needs to happen IMO.

Either that or the D line needs to command 5 O linemen to keep them from stuffing the run.

3 hours ago, DieHard said:

Except lead the LB group in tackles and tied for first in passes defensed. I wish he was better too. But he is not as bad as people think. The D just hadn’t learned to play together yet and the D line hasn’t been able to occupy 5 O linemen with 4 D linemen. Until then we will have an O lineman blocking the second level. 

To blame our problems on one guy just doesn’t make sense. These guys will get better as a unit. I think one improvement could be playing 3 LB instead of bringing in Dan. Lee is hit and miss but I think he could develop into a 3 down guy and help us stay in base more. If we want to stop the run, they needs to happen IMO.

Either that or the D line needs to command 5 O linemen to keep them from stuffing the run.

I think Nieman can be that 3 down guy. 

13 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

It will give you an idea if he is the guy. The rest of us already know. His job is as secure as any GM in football and rightfully so. The fact that you think otherwise is comical. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/roster/_/name/kc/kansas-city-chiefs

Look at this roster. Absolutely littered with talent.  Running away with the division and looking like a Super Bowl contender. 

The rest of us....LOL   Did not know you think and speak for everyone. I missed the memo. 🙄

7 hours ago, FANATIC said:

The rest of us....LOL   Did not know you think and speak for everyone. I missed the memo. 🙄

Well what letter grade would you give Veach thus far? And dont say incomplete. 

Factoring in everything. Salary cap, draft, free agency, our record since he took over, his willingness to make dramatic changes to players and staff, roster depth, taking into account he was director of player personnel when they scouted Mahomes, future outlook, working well in tandem with Mark Donovan to keep the fan experience outstanding, working well with Reid on personnel and putting together a staff, promoting scouts underneath him up the ladder for future opportunities.. all of it. 

What is an honest assessment and letter grade on Brett Veach in your opinion?

23 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Factoring in everything. Salary cap, draft, free agency, our record since he took over, his willingness to make dramatic changes to players and staff, roster depth, taking into account he was director of player personnel when they scouted Mahomes, future outlook, working well in tandem with Mark Donovan to keep the fan experience outstanding, working well with Reid on personnel and putting together a staff, promoting scouts underneath him up the ladder for future opportunities.. all of it. 

B to B- right now. He is trying to do what he can while grabbing depth. Wish a couple of earlier picks would have hit but he us not sitting idle either. Love the way he gets players and creates cap space. No truly bad contracts as of yet. We are set for cap space now and his contracts allow us to cut and get even more if he wishes. 

9 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

B to B- right now. He is trying to do what he can while grabbing depth. Wish a couple of earlier picks would have hit but he us not sitting idle either. Love the way he gets players and creates cap space. No truly bad contracts as of yet. We are set for cap space now and his contracts allow us to cut and get even more if he wishes. 

remember he was able to trick two teams into taking Fields and Hyde, that gives him a passing grade so far in my book

23 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

It will give you an idea if he is the guy. The rest of us already know. His job is as secure as any GM in football and rightfully so. The fact that you think otherwise is comical. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/roster/_/name/kc/kansas-city-chiefs

Look at this roster. Absolutely littered with talent.  Running away with the division and looking like a Super Bowl contender. 

Veach inherited Dorsey’s crap deteriorating expensive defense that left us with 15 million in Dead Cap space as he maneuvered out of bad veteran contracts.  He’s brought in 10 new starters on defense and 4 new starters on offense in two off seasons.

He was the catalyst behind the biggest draft pick in Chiefs history. Signed what’s turned out to be a Pro Bowl level kicker off a practice squad in a league that had a handful of franchises desperate for kickers. Hes created 29 million in CAP space and prioritized flexible contracts that let him out if he makes mistakes.  

The overall plan is a really good one in my opinion. 

That said he’s also made some clear mistakes within that and needs to learn from them. 2018 draft looks like crap, Hitchens still isn’t even flashing where he needs to be and he’s probably overrating these former early round picks he keeps trading for based on prior scouting.  

Bottom line is he just oversaw the best season this franchise has had in at least three decades. To put him on the hot seat is laughable. But let’s not pretend first and foremost this is Andy’s franchise.  

16 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

C for Chargers