Offseason acquisition

Ward has been terrible, but for only one reason (it seems to me).  It looks like doesn't turn his head to see whether and where the ball is coming, even though he is covering his guy like glue.  That is how it appears to me.  He is just doing his assignment but not tracking the ball.  When he does try to track it and turns his head, his guy makes a move on him.  It seems like a skill he could learn, but what the hell do I know?

My only major problem with Veach is how he wastes draft capital to target some players who would probably be available in the regular draft position.  Every time I hear that the Chiefs have traded up, I cringe.  Lesser issue is that he overpaid for Clark and Watkins in my opinion.  Can't blame him for HB or Hitchens.  Some FAs just don't work out and these may still be good for the Chiefs. 

7 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Every time I hear that the Chiefs have traded up, I cringe. 

That's how we got Mahomes, right?  IMO, Veach has gotten an A.  He has built great cap space ahead of needing to re-sign his key players.  He is doing what super bowl winning GM's do when they have a great QB.  Really, all he needs is a decent supporting cast sprinkled with a few stars, mainly offensive weapons for Mahomes.  Let the coaching staff coach up the young draftees with potential, but get just enough FA's to win NOW.  I know it isn't what we are used to, but he has built great depth and increased the cap space from a disaster to a good situation.  I would give him nothing short of an A.  Every team takes a chance in the draft, and many of the draftees never pan out.  He is no worse in that regard than anyone else.  I think we should stop complaining and give him accolades.  He is doing exactly what he should be doing.  Past GM's have done it differently, and how many SB's have we won that way?

18 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

That's how we got Mahomes, right?  IMO, Veach has gotten an A.  He has built great cap space ahead of needing to re-sign his key players.  He is doing what super bowl winning GM's do when they have a great QB.  Really, all he needs is a decent supporting cast sprinkled with a few stars, mainly offensive weapons for Mahomes.  Let the coaching staff coach up the young draftees with potential, but get just enough FA's to win NOW.  I know it isn't what we are used to, but he has built great depth and increased the cap space from a disaster to a good situation.  I would give him nothing short of an A.  Every team takes a chance in the draft, and many of the draftees never pan out.  He is no worse in that regard than anyone else.  I think we should stop complaining and give him accolades.  He is doing exactly what he should be doing.  Past GM's have done it differently, and how many SB's have we won that way?

I'd consider the Mahomes trade up as an outlier since the Chiefs were obviously going after their QBOTF in the 2017 draft and give Veach and any others involved in targeting Mahomes all the credit, but Dorsey was GM at the time.  My post wasn't meant to imply that I'm down on Veach.  I"m not.  But I do think he's a little quick to give away draft points to get some players probably not that high on other team's boards.  Several times last year the Chiefs moved up and I don't see the positive results.  Maybe time will prove Veach correct and no GM is going to hit it every time.  

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

My only major problem with Veach is how he wastes draft capital to target some players who would probably be available in the regular draft position.  Every time I hear that the Chiefs have traded up, I cringe.  Lesser issue is that he overpaid for Clark and Watkins in my opinion.  Can't blame him for HB or Hitchens.  Some FAs just don't work out and these may still be good for the Chiefs. 

It's really hard to know how teams value some players, but the Speaks trade up was colossally fucking stupid.  I'll give him some slack on the Hardman one, even though I don't think he was worth getting a boner for.

44 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

I'll give him some slack on the Hardman one, even though I don't think he was worth getting a boner for.

Interesting gauge of value.  I guess it depends on how difficult it is for you to get a boner.  Which players give you a boner?  That's the question.

Did you hear about the flasher who decided to retire?   He changed his mind and decided to stick it out for another year.

6 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Interesting guage of value.  I guess it depends on how difficult it is for you to get a boner.  Which players give you a boner?  That's the question.

Did you hear about the flasher who decided to retire?   He changed his mind and decided to stick it out for another year.

lol

I think it works for Veach pretty well because when he locks onto a player, he seems to be willing to majorly overspend to get whatever player if that's what it takes.