Brett Veach should be fired

On 10/20/2019 at 6:38 PM, kkuenn said:

Well people were on Veach and his picks. Speaks and Nnadi are  from 2018, Veach did not have a 1st rounder that year. We have yet to see Speaks in the new system so he is yet to be judged. Watts and Nnadi look to be good starters/depth players going forward.  Possibly 3 picks out of 6 good so far, DOD has yet to do anything but still on the team.

2019 picks look solid in Thornhill and Hardman. Throw in the fact Saunders is coming on and still has plenty to learn and seeing what we saw out of Fenton looking good. Still have Allegretti and Thompson learning the system and yet to see what we have in them. Throw in the fact we received Clark too. So out of 6  possible picks we have 2 starters, 2 upcoming guys and 2 yet to see time I think Veach has down really well in his 2 drafts so far.

It will be nice to see what he can do with the cap space, get out of Jones (if they sign and trade as Saunders may be the real deal or we may not be able to afford him) and then go into FA then the draft knowing what we need. Very exciting to have the team signed for the near future and still so young. Then going out and getting Pennell who may be worth a look to extend after this season if he is in fact in shape and plays like he has before. I guess we just need to give him time and his picks time to see what they really do have for us.

I said this before in this thread and it still stands. Also said I loved the Clark signing and he will bring it on. Veach has done very well and we have yet to see this off season/draft yet plus FA period. I would like to see Allen Lazard sign with us. He is young and will come cheap. Thing is he is 6'5" and 227 pounds. He would be that tall good target needed for Mahomes opposite of Hill. He ran a 4.5 with 38 inch vert. If Hardman does take a bit longer, having Lazard, Hill and Kelce in there would help tremendously. This is a type of signing Veach would do.

Smith and McKenzie were 6th round picks.  You can't really call them misses.  Overall not an eyepopping draft, but we didn't have a lot of draft capital due to the Mahiomes trade up.  Speaks could still be something.  None the less, Veach's overall body of work has been nothing less than outstanding. 

3 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Smith and McKenzie were 6th round picks.  You can't really call them misses.  Overall not an eyepopping draft, but we didn't have a lot of draft capital due to the Mahiomes trade up.  Speaks could still be something.  None the less, Veach's overall body of work has been nothing less than outstanding. 

That's fair, my only counterpoint would be that those late round picks are supposed to be flyers so you either have to hit on them or you have to collect extra picks.  Veach has given up a lot of draft capital moving up not just for Mahomes but for smaller moves in those mid-rounds in 2018 and 2019.  So while I agree that you can't grade a 6th round miss too harshly, he's put more eggs in single baskets for many of our draft picks.

Overall, though, I give him a pretty high grade considering his role in vouching for Mahomes before he was GM, an above average 2-year run of drafting in 2018-2019, and his FA signings.

On 1/13/2020 at 1:22 PM, Adamixoye said:

Would be nice if 2018 could contribute a little more, but 2019 is looking like 🔥🔥🔥

We still have to give Speaks a real opportunity with this current defensive staff. They did wonders for Tanoh and I think we all know Speaks was playing out of position last year.  It wasn't a good draft but then again when you start without any top 50 picks that makes it tough. I think Brett Veach like anyone else has had to grow into this position. Definite learning curve. But man has he done a phenomenal job of flipping players we didn't want into productive young guys with more upside. 

1 hour ago, xen said:

Think I'll just put this here as a reminder Veach killed free agency too.

The leadership from Honey Badger and Clark was just gigantic in creating a new culture. This isn't a great defense by any means. Some real holes there Spags has had to cover up. But they just have a different mentality. Huge coaching upgrade up and down the defensive staff didn't hurt. 

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

The leadership from Honey Badger and Clark was just gigantic in creating a new culture. This isn't a great defense by any means. Some real holes there Spags has had to cover up. But they just have a different mentality. Huge coaching upgrade up and down the defensive staff didn't hurt. 

Yes sir!

Spags has been a "godsend" to this team, and in my opinion, "IF" we win the SB, he should be the KC Chiefs MVP. (Person)

5 minutes ago, xen said:

Didn't want to start a new thread but DJ on Twitter getting into the online analyst thing.  Why not.

Execllent analysis. DJ should get into coaching.

By the way...That play by HB is why is he an ALL PRO. I'm a club Football Coach, and was recruited in college to play corner. That play by HB was executed flawlessly. There are not many DB's in the NFL that have the Football IQ or athleticism to make that play.

Matthieu is the real deal.

9 minutes ago, xen said:

Didn't want to start a new thread but DJ on Twitter getting into the online analyst thing.  Why not.

There’s a good video out there on how well DOD played in his 12 snaps on defense. Super fast and instinctive. I think he’s going to play a lot next year.

and if we play sf in the sb, he’ll be out there a lot against all those rb’s 

10 minutes ago, Calichief said:

There’s a good video out there on how well DOD played in his 12 snaps on defense. Super fast and instinctive. I think he’s going to play a lot next year.

and if we play sf in the sb, he’ll be out there a lot against all those rb’s 

There was a lot of mix and match and perhaps trial and error by Spags trying to replace Thornhill. Speaks volumes about how good Thornhill was this year. And that Spags can dig deep and look outside the obvious box to try and hide those coverages like he does so well. It was clear however we missed Thorn on Sunday. 

On 1/13/2020 at 7:25 PM, Chiefsfan1963 said:

It was run by the negative Nancy's in here. Same one's damning the Hardman pick, Clark pickup and all the other Madden/Fantasy Football GM comments. 

I still think DK Metcalf would of been the better long term pick.  Overall I love what Veach has done.