Chiefs D after 5 Games

It’s always doom and gloom after a loss, but the D is improved and the secondary is playing well. I hear people say on the radio that this D is worse than last year. Not true.

We are #14 in points allowed and #25 in yards allowed. To compare, we were #24 and #31.

We are #30 against the rune and #13 against the pass. I would have lost money betting those 2 stats would be reversed coming into this year.

With teams chasing a spinning scoreboard and only 11 sacks, that is a very respectable pass defense ranking. Just have to stop the run somehow.

3 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

New DT and MLB will hopefully solve this up the gut problem. MLB especially. Our LBs are all dudes who would probably not start for most teams. We have no general in the middle of the defense. Hitchens is a bust and another dude, like Clark, I’d never even heard of until we gave him lots of money.

Yup, Just an average DT and MLB would do wonders for this Run Defense.

Kind of looks to me like they are stretching the boundary and then running into open rushing lanes we haven't kept GAP responsiblity on. Nelson however just pushed our guys backwards with regularity. And give Mack a ton of credit. That guy is patient and has great vision to find our mistakes and pounce. 

1 minute ago, liquidfriend said:

At this point the Chiefs should be cycling the bottom of the depth chart with some veteran players that could possibly bring them a spark.  

Seeing the historically bad performance and sitting on their hands about it is baffling.

Historically bad? How so? We gave up 331 yards and 19 points. That's a half a game for our offense on some occasions. 

10 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Historically bad? How so? We gave up 331 yards and 19 points. That's a half a game for our offense on some occasions. 

Run defense is now in uncharted territory. So yea, it is historically bad in a sense.

5 minutes ago, Palangi said:

What about seeing if Atlanta would trade hageman for a 4th or 5th pick. Give him a new environment

Well I'm sure that Veech watched the game last nite and saw what we all saw. I have to think that he is on the phone looking for help. I just he doesn't bring anymore "projects" in. We have plenty of them..

12 minutes ago, DefensiveMan said:

At least we can put the Ben Niemann experiment to bed. 

Lol..no shit!I I thought he was Hitchens out there.

However, he did have Olinmen hitting him in the mouth before he could even diagnose the play..

8 minutes ago, artsy said:

Lol..no shit!I I thought he was Hitchens out there.

However, he did have Olinmen hitting him in the mouth before he could even diagnose the play..

LOL! and driving him back the wrong way!

49 minutes ago, DefensiveMan said:

At least we can put the Ben Niemann experiment to bed. 

Niemann did not even start and had 10 tackles in the game. He was at least in the area and made plays. I would not put it to bed as he can also defend the pass. 

Like someone said yesterday...we havent had a LB that could diagnose and blow up runs in the backfield since DJ left. They paid Hitchens to be that guy. He fucking blows. Wilson is a solid linebacker. Outside that everyone on our roster is backup quality. 

I have no idea how a DT combo of Nnadi and Chris Jones is this bad against the run. Nnadi literally looked like a high school player going up against Nelson. Our"best" run stuffing DT, was getting rag dolled. 

Just now, timmy_6262 said:

That's why I am glad we didn't extend Jones before the season.  If he  wants Donald type money he is in for a big surprise come contract time.  I hope he gets better but he looks like crap 75% of the time, just has flashes.

The question is do you trust Veach to draft anyone better? At this point no one can replace him or Ford for that matter.

7 minutes ago, DefensiveMan said:

The question is do you trust Veach to draft anyone better? At this point no one can replace him or Ford for that matter.

I honestly don't know.  I got broiled alive by posters when I said I wanted to see how Jones did in the new defensive scheme before we gave him a big deal.  Yes he could of had a huge year and then would cost Donald type money or be playing like he is now...so so at best.  Sometimes he is a force but sometimes he just sucks.  I know players are going to have good and bad games but if he as good as everyone thinks he is based on last year with what 12 games in a row with a sack we expect him to be just as good.  I was just hesitant on the big payday based off 1 year.  I would hate to have Veach's job and that is a fact.

Just a reminder. We are 14th in points allowed. That is a hell of a lot better than last year. And that is the first 5 games with 6 new starters and a completely different defense. 

Just saying, don’t jump off the bridge on this defense just yet.

On 10/7/2019 at 4:44 PM, timmy_6262 said:

I honestly don't know.  I got broiled alive by posters when I said I wanted to see how Jones did in the new defensive scheme before we gave him a big deal.  Yes he could of had a huge year and then would cost Donald type money or be playing like he is now...so so at best.  Sometimes he is a force but sometimes he just sucks.  I know players are going to have good and bad games but if he as good as everyone thinks he is based on last year with what 12 games in a row with a sack we expect him to be just as good.  I was just hesitant on the big payday based off 1 year.  I would hate to have Veach's job and that is a fact.

You must be well compensated in your current position. LOL