Chiefs D after 5 Games

39 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Just a reminder. We are 14th in points allowed. That is a hell of a lot better than last year. And that is the first 5 games with 6 new starters and a completely different defense. 

Just saying, don’t jump off the bridge on this defense just yet.

It's hard to say right now after five games. I've been trying to follow it, and the yards allowed certainly isn't as much, but it's not that far off. This last game certainly helped as far as ranking.

I really think running the ball and controlling the clock some would really help. A lot of people forget how well they did that back when Alex Smith was the QB.  Reid and Bieniemy have to find that balance with Mahomes, allowing him to do his thing, while also mixing in some ball-control offense.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2019/10/11/steve-spagnuolo-says-run-defense-issues-boil-down-to-the-basics/

Reporters asked Kansas City Chiefs defensive coordinator about the team’s concerns at run defense on Thursday, especially after Sunday’s home loss.

The problem isn’t being surprised by the fact that Kansas City Chiefs‘ opponents are running the ball down the throat of the team’s defense. Instead, the issue is that everyone in the stadium knows it’s going to happen and they give up the yards anyway.

The Chiefs have struggled to stop opponents from rushing the ball with great success five games into the new year. The Chiefs are currently ranked 31st (out of 32 NFL teams) in yards allowed per carry (5.3), just behind the Jacksonville Jaguars. They’ve allowed the second-most rushing yards total (779), just short of the Cincinnati Bengals (838), who often have opponents run while trying to close out games against them.

Against the Chiefs, opponents aren’t trying to kill the game. Instead, they’re trying to disrupt an offense that is often firing on all cylinders and keep them on the sideline to control the clock.

While fans are tired of watching the likes of Marlon Mack impose their will on the defense, the problem really isn’t that great when you look at the bigger picture. The Chiefs are division leaders with a full game lead over the Oakland Raiders after five games. They were unbeaten until suffering their first loss at home, and even that was fraught with other concerns than just the run defense—injuries, penalties, an out-of-sync offense, etc.

Still, defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo knows that the Chiefs have to get better at stopping the run especially when they know that teams will continue to focus on that offensively until they can prove their ability to stop it.

“It’s everything,” said Spagnuolo when asked about what specifically is the issue. “Usually when that happens like that, it’s not one thing. You can’t put your finger on it. To us, we just go right back to the basics. It’s about defeating blocks, getting off blocks, and making tackles. That’s the run game. It’s overpopulating the ball, which I think we’ve done a good job of. I mean, it’s been an issue here and there. It’s been identified, so when we get out there, we try to hit them all.

Inhabit;ord=6767855080546.477;dc_seg=756255014?

“I know everybody’s looking for a specific reason. There’s no specific reason. And if there’s 20 plays in there that cause issues that are over 4 or 5 yard runs, there may be 20 different reasons. So you just keep playing but you do all the things you’re talking about. You get off blocks, you make tackles, you get to the football. That’s what you do.”

The Chiefs will now hope to get better without some key players in place, especially with the long-term loss of Xavier Williams to injured reserve and Chris Jones out for an extended period of time. Both men are defensive linemen and the losses there will make it difficult to play as well up front. Young players like Khalen Saunders will need to step up alongside the team’s newest signing in Terrell McClain to turn the tide.

Up next for the Chiefs is the dynamic passing offense of the Houston Texans led by an elite wide receiver trio and Deshaun Watson at quarterback. How much will they change their game plan to adjust to the Chiefs weakness? It’s hard to say but the Chiefs will have their hands full in any event.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2019/10/11/steve-spagnuolo-says-run-defense-issues-boil-down-to-the-basics/

Reporters asked Kansas City Chiefs defensive coordinator about the team’s concerns at run defense on Thursday, especially after Sunday’s home loss.

The problem isn’t being surprised by the fact that Kansas City Chiefs‘ opponents are running the ball down the throat of the team’s defense. Instead, the issue is that everyone in the stadium knows it’s going to happen and they give up the yards anyway.

The Chiefs have struggled to stop opponents from rushing the ball with great success five games into the new year. The Chiefs are currently ranked 31st (out of 32 NFL teams) in yards allowed per carry (5.3), just behind the Jacksonville Jaguars. They’ve allowed the second-most rushing yards total (779), just short of the Cincinnati Bengals (838), who often have opponents run while trying to close out games against them.

Against the Chiefs, opponents aren’t trying to kill the game. Instead, they’re trying to disrupt an offense that is often firing on all cylinders and keep them on the sideline to control the clock.

While fans are tired of watching the likes of Marlon Mack impose their will on the defense, the problem really isn’t that great when you look at the bigger picture. The Chiefs are division leaders with a full game lead over the Oakland Raiders after five games. They were unbeaten until suffering their first loss at home, and even that was fraught with other concerns than just the run defense—injuries, penalties, an out-of-sync offense, etc.

Still, defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo knows that the Chiefs have to get better at stopping the run especially when they know that teams will continue to focus on that offensively until they can prove their ability to stop it.

“It’s everything,” said Spagnuolo when asked about what specifically is the issue. “Usually when that happens like that, it’s not one thing. You can’t put your finger on it. To us, we just go right back to the basics. It’s about defeating blocks, getting off blocks, and making tackles. That’s the run game. It’s overpopulating the ball, which I think we’ve done a good job of. I mean, it’s been an issue here and there. It’s been identified, so when we get out there, we try to hit them all.

Inhabit;ord=6767855080546.477;dc_seg=756255014?

“I know everybody’s looking for a specific reason. There’s no specific reason. And if there’s 20 plays in there that cause issues that are over 4 or 5 yard runs, there may be 20 different reasons. So you just keep playing but you do all the things you’re talking about. You get off blocks, you make tackles, you get to the football. That’s what you do.”

The Chiefs will now hope to get better without some key players in place, especially with the long-term loss of Xavier Williams to injured reserve and Chris Jones out for an extended period of time. Both men are defensive linemen and the losses there will make it difficult to play as well up front. Young players like Khalen Saunders will need to step up alongside the team’s newest signing in Terrell McClain to turn the tide.

Up next for the Chiefs is the dynamic passing offense of the Houston Texans led by an elite wide receiver trio and Deshaun Watson at quarterback. How much will they change their game plan to adjust to the Chiefs weakness? It’s hard to say but the Chiefs will have their hands full in any event.

Good example is at linebacker where we continue to have one dimensional players. Daron Lee came in with a very encouraging high level grade vs the pass last year. And yet he's been SO bad that they have benched him in passing downs for Ben Neimann. But go watch the Colts tape and its clear teams find Neiman on the field and run right at him he is so bad against the run. So what do you do? Part of this is the reality Spags and his crew are trying to evaluate on the fly.  The positves are the Frank Clark is setting an edge that Dee Ford did not. Honey Badger is making plays vs both the run and pass that none of our safeties could last year. And Chris Jones has been a beast all year. Beyond that its been wild inconsistency from about everyone. A puzzle that still clearly puzzling to the coaches. Take Chris Jones out of the equation on Sunday and ouch. This is where we need a game plan that Sutton could NEVER deliver. Can Spags?

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Good example is at linebacker where we continue to have one dimensional players. Daron Lee came in with a very encouraging high level grade vs the pass last year. And yet he's been SO bad that they have benched him in passing downs for Ben Neimann. But go watch the Colts tape and its clear teams find Neiman on the field and run right at him he is so bad against the run. So what do you do? Part of this is the reality Spags and his crew are trying to evaluate on the fly.  The positves are the Frank Clark is setting an edge that Dee Ford did not. Honey Badger is making plays vs both the run and pass that none of our safeties could last year. And Chris Jones has been a beast all year. Beyond that its been wild inconsistency from about everyone. A puzzle that still clearly puzzling to the coaches. Take Chris Jones out of the equation on Sunday and ouch. This is where we need a game plan that Sutton could NEVER deliver. Can Spags?

It is surprising that we went out and brought in Lee, Wilson and kept Ragland around and then grabbed Ogbah and Okafor in FA while completely dismissing the DT position.   I have a hard time imagining Breeland Speaks being a clog in the middle and they over estimated Nandi's ability to hold his ground.   I think Spags isn't just coach speaking but telling the truth.  We don't have guys who can do the basics at an above avg level.   Our LB's are a joke and I for one thought Spags and House could get more out of our lb corp, but the reality is they just suck and unfortunately we are stuck with Hitchens this year and next........yuck!    We are still good enough if Fisher, Watkins and Hill can get healthy to compete for a SB but we won't have a lot of money free if we pay Mahomes and as it sits we have big holes at LG, C, RB, DT, LB, LB, LB, CB, CB, and CB and our draft isn't going to fill all those holes.  Maybe 3 if we are lucky.   This is were drafts like 2018 come back to haunt a team.  You need starters or contributors at the very least out of each draft class.   Jones is a beast but we have so many holes on this D that I'm not sure locking him into a huge contract helps us as much as tagging and trading him to accumulate picks and have more financial flexibility.   What scares me the most is there isn't anyone on our defensive roster waiting in the wings that I think can even be an above avg player down the road.     With all that said all is not lost, we are a good football team and Mahomes can cover over a multitude of errors.

5 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

It is surprising that we went out and brought in Lee, Wilson and kept Ragland around and then grabbed Ogbah and Okafor in FA while completely dismissing the DT position.   I have a hard time imagining Breeland Speaks being a clog in the middle and they over estimated Nandi's ability to hold his ground.   I think Spags isn't just coach speaking but telling the truth.  We don't have guys who can do the basics at an above avg level.   Our LB's are a joke and I for one thought Spags and House could get more out of our lb corp, but the reality is they just suck and unfortunately we are stuck with Hitchens this year and next........yuck!    We are still good enough if Fisher, Watkins and Hill can get healthy to compete for a SB but we won't have a lot of money free if we pay Mahomes and as it sits we have big holes at LG, C, RB, DT, LB, LB, LB, CB, CB, and CB and our draft isn't going to fill all those holes.  Maybe 3 if we are lucky.   This is were drafts like 2018 come back to haunt a team.  You need starters or contributors at the very least out of each draft class.   Jones is a beast but we have so many holes on this D that I'm not sure locking him into a huge contract helps us as much as tagging and trading him to accumulate picks and have more financial flexibility.   What scares me the most is there isn't anyone on our defensive roster waiting in the wings that I think can even be an above avg player down the road.     With all that said all is not lost, we are a good football team and Mahomes can cover over a multitude of errors.

Disagree about invest at DT.  Jones has one side locked down.  And in Veachs two offseasons he’s added Soeaks, Nnadi and Saunders in round 2,3 and 4 of the draft. Soeaks is ideal for being inside on pass rushing downs.  Nnadi is a pure run stuffer. And he added Xavier Williams in free agency. And Tanoh can also play inside.  
There 3 players there under 25 years old at a position that often takes several years to develop. We’ve seen clear flashes of good play and improvement from Nnadi. Just not consistency yet. Soeaks didn’t get a chance in his natural position because of injury. And Saunders is being forced to play before he’s ready. I really like his potential too down the road. 

Only time will tell if the heavy investment on the Dline will work. But they’ve invested heavily there while throwing only band aids so far at corner and OLB.  And as you said finding a true stud to man the middle of that defense where Hitchens has failed so far seems critical.  But even Hitchens proved very productive in Dallas when paired with a high level versatile player.

So to me continued development of young Dline by Daly has real potential. As does our safety duo as Thornhill learns the ropes. If we could add a high level corner and linebacker this defense could really take off in year two for Spags. And year two is where he has twice taken bottom feeders and made them top ten. 

in 2019 we are just reasonably looking for enough improvement to maneuver thru January. That won’t happen if our elite offense is handicapped like right now though. It’s gotta be 80-20 offense. Last year it was 90-10. 

I just re-watched the game and agree with some of what Mloe68 mentioned in the previous posts. The run defense was bad, but they didn't get beat up as badly as a thought.

A combination of things happened. There were two drives were the Chiefs attempted to pass the ball exclusively and both were 3-n-outs.  Those drives were huge mistakes, and put the defense back on the field way too soon, IMO.

Marlin Mack is really good. He waited for his blocks then torched the Chiefs.

Shout out to RGR football. He showed were the defense still isn't maintaining their gaps consistently. I saw one play were the defender is partially blocked by Quentin Nelson, sees the RB Mack running, and abandons his gap to make a play, when a defender was already there. Mack then cut back to were this defender should have been, and ran through the whole.

Had the defender just stayed were he was , Mack would have had less room to run, and it would have forced him way outside. This could have allowed other defenders to arrive and help.

The Chiefs don't have the most talented players in some positions, but they don't have to be, they're making mental errors. They are not playing smart and are undisciplined at times. Playing smarter by maintaining gaps is not pretty. It takes discipline, patience, and would greatly help improve this defense.

7 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

It is surprising that we went out and brought in Lee, Wilson and kept Ragland around and then grabbed Ogbah and Okafor in FA while completely dismissing the DT position.   I have a hard time imagining Breeland Speaks being a clog in the middle and they over estimated Nandi's ability to hold his ground.   I think Spags isn't just coach speaking but telling the truth.  We don't have guys who can do the basics at an above avg level.   Our LB's are a joke and I for one thought Spags and House could get more out of our lb corp, but the reality is they just suck and unfortunately we are stuck with Hitchens this year and next........yuck!    We are still good enough if Fisher, Watkins and Hill can get healthy to compete for a SB but we won't have a lot of money free if we pay Mahomes and as it sits we have big holes at LG, C, RB, DT, LB, LB, LB, CB, CB, and CB and our draft isn't going to fill all those holes.  Maybe 3 if we are lucky.   This is were drafts like 2018 come back to haunt a team.  You need starters or contributors at the very least out of each draft class.   Jones is a beast but we have so many holes on this D that I'm not sure locking him into a huge contract helps us as much as tagging and trading him to accumulate picks and have more financial flexibility.   What scares me the most is there isn't anyone on our defensive roster waiting in the wings that I think can even be an above avg player down the road.     With all that said all is not lost, we are a good football team and Mahomes can cover over a multitude of 

A RB group of Damien William's, Shady, Darrel Williams, and Darwin Thompson is a strong group. Just because we dont have a Hunt bellcow type doesnt mean it's a huge need. I think they believe that Jones, Nnadi, Saunders is a solid rotation at DT.  They will resign one of Fuller or Breeland at CB, and Ward is on a rookie deal. And we will add to some of these positions at the deadline. 

So yes there is work to do. But you are making it sound like we need 10 new starters going into 2020. We dont. We have a foundation. We have some cap room and our early picks. 

So no, the complete defensive overhaul in one off season didnt turn us into a good defense immediately. But they will continue to improve and add depth and starters.

14 hours ago, DieHard said:

Just a reminder. We are 14th in points allowed. That is a hell of a lot better than last year. And that is the first 5 games with 6 new starters and a completely different defense. 

Agree...sort of. If teams are committed to running the ball and controlling TOP then that is naturally going to keep the scoring down. I heard Reich in a presser say his desire was to keep Mahomes on the sidelines. He did that quite well. He also was asked how many points the Colts needed....of course his response was "as many as it takes to win the game." He did that as well. When I hear the Chiefs DC basically telling reporters that the Chiefs defense isn't even handling fundamentals like tackling, gap assignments, etc...that should be a concern. Add in injuries and penalties?...this defense cannot shoulder the load against so many issues. Chiefs mask a lot of defensive problems by being an offensive juggernaut. Last week was an anomaly due to injuries.

34 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Agree...sort of. If teams are committed to running the ball and controlling TOP then that is naturally going to keep the scoring down. I heard Reich in a presser say his desire was to keep Mahomes on the sidelines. He did that quite well. He also was asked how many points the Colts needed....of course his response was "as many as it takes to win the game." He did that as well. When I hear the Chiefs DC basically telling reporters that the Chiefs defense isn't even handling fundamentals like tackling, gap assignments, etc...that should be a concern. Add in injuries and penalties?...this defense cannot shoulder the load against so many issues. Chiefs mask a lot of defensive problems by being an offensive juggernaut. Last week was an anomaly due to injuries.

Reality is weve played only one talented QB and no good offenses yet too. We shot ourselves in the foot and gave away the Colts game. But we probably stole one in Detroit.  Right now we are in survival mode  to get past these next two games and hopefully get some players back. And reality is we haven’t seen our real offense since the first half of the first game. I’m hoping around GB or Minn that might become a reality again. 

On 10/11/2019 at 6:21 PM, DieHard said:

It's been a frustrating ride so far this season, but I still have hope the defense will improve dramatically by year's end.