It Takes More Than a Great QB

In the 1980s, Dan Marino was every bit the phenomenon Mahomes is today. He lit it up, shredded records and filled the stands every Sunday. He was so good, the Dolphins built their team around him. Every game was the Dan Marino show.

The result? One SB appearance, which they lost. As Marino rewrote the record books, the Dolphins never got close to the SB again.

Elway was Elway. He was the Broncos’ offense. When the Elway Show made it’s first trip to the SB, it was annihilated by the Redskins.

The Broncos rebuilt – not around Elway – and when they established a great running game and a solid defense they went back to the SB and won it.

The 2019 Chiefs remind me of the Marino Dolphins. They expect Mahomes to do it all, instead of understanding it takes more than a QB, no matter how incredible, to be a great team.

In the first half of the Colts game, the Chiefs had 11 yards on the ground. That’s losing football every time.

The running game has to be a priority, which means the O-line has to be a priority. Aside from establishing a ground game, I’m tired of seeing Pat running for his life every other play. And the defense has to be rebuilt from the ground up. No multimillion dollar, 1st round stealing trade is going to plug the massive holes in that defense; It’s going to take a few years.

I don’t see us getting close to the SB this year. Maybe in a year or two IF these needs are seriously addressed.

OK. That’s my rant.

1 hour ago, Burpo The Mad Clown said:

In the 1980s, Dan Marino was every bit the phenomenon Mahomes is today. He lit it up, shredded records and filled the stands every Sunday. He was so good, the Dolphins built their team around him. Every game was the Dan Marino show.

The result? One SB appearance, which they lost. As Marino rewrote the record books, the Dolphins never got close to the SB again.

Elway was Elway. He was the Broncos’ offense. When the Elway Show made it’s first trip to the SB, it was annihilated by the Redskins.

The Broncos rebuilt – not around Elway – and when they established a great running game and a solid defense they went back to the SB and won it.

The 2019 Chiefs remind me of the Marino Dolphins. They expect Mahomes to do it all, instead of understanding it takes more than a QB, no matter how incredible, to be a great team.

In the first half of the Colts game, the Chiefs had 11 yards on the ground. That’s losing football every time.

The running game has to be a priority, which means the O-line has to be a priority. Aside from establishing a ground game, I’m tired of seeing Pat running for his life every other play. And the defense has to be rebuilt from the ground up. No multimillion dollar, 1st round stealing trade is going to plug the massive holes in that defense; It’s going to take a few years.

I don’t see us getting close to the SB this year. Maybe in a year or two IF these needs are seriously addressed.

OK. That’s my rant.

great take, i like the comparison between Mahomes and Marino, it is a valid argument

I don’t disagree with the premise at all but reality we are missing two massively important parts of the offense. Get those back and you watch how fast these issues disappear. IE: This is a Super Bowl offense already when healthy and hardly a one man show. 
As for the defense Veach is in the middle of rebuilding the entire thing, but it can’t be done overnight. We’ve got journeymen band aids at several LB and corner spots that need to be filled in earnest. The Dline has a ton of young talent and there’s clear upside there. 
Notion a team 1 play from the Super Bowl last year is still years away makes no sense to me. We are struggling right now and at the same time fighting major impactful injuries.  The next two games especially will be a struggle.  But if we can get relatively healthy THIS team can absolutely win the Lombardi IMO. And based on Spags history we should be even better in 2020.  

1 hour ago, dksww said:

Here we go...classic KC people and fans.

We need a top QB to win a Super Bowl until we get one and now it's we need all the things we've had in past and don't have now to win one.

Yea we got our top QB, and we're still overpaying players that aren't him while losing valuable draft capital, as Burpo stated. 

Won't know until December where this team stands against the Patriots, but right now we're in good trouble if teams can continue to run the ball and bully us at the point of attack. 

5 minutes ago, Chiefmanzada said:

Yea we got our top QB, and we're still overpaying players that aren't him while losing valuable draft capital, as Burpo stated. 

Won't know until December where this team stands against the Patriots, but right now we're in good trouble if teams can continue to run the ball and bully us at the point of attack. 

The last two weeks teams have pushed us around in the trenches. I think Reid will get back to the run. He always does that after a loss. I see good balance next week. Houston's D is very talented especially their front 7. 

3 minutes ago, DefensiveMan said:

The last two weeks teams have pushed us around in the trenches. I think Reid will get back to the run. He always does that after a loss. I see good balance next week. Houston's D is very talented especially their front 7. 

If they can pull out a win against Houston, this team will be back on track with high confidence. Hopefully then Tyreek will be back, Watkins will be good to go, and the run D will be more secured. 

2 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

PM cant do it all himself.

After playing 3 solid games as a pass blocker at LT, allowing just 2 total pressures, all went wrong on Sunday for #Chiefs LT Cam Erving. • 2 sacks • 2 hits • 4 hurries • Career high 8 pressures • 19.1 pass blocking grade. https://t.co/MwJHzSB3OP #ChiefsKingdom

You have to blame Andy for a lot that performance. He knew Cam was getting his ass kicked from early in the game. He did nothing to help him. No chips, no roll aways, no extra TE, NO NOTHING. Hell even a few draw plays early would have slowed down the pass rush.

Andy was just trying to hard to hit the big plays and screwed his QB and his defense.

23 minutes ago, artsy said:

You have to blame Andy for a lot that performance. He knew Cam was getting his ass kicked from early in the game. He did nothing to help him. No chips, no roll aways, no extra TE, NO NOTHING. Hell even a few draw plays early would have slowed down the pass rush.

Andy was just trying to hard to hit the big plays and screwed his QB and his defense.

Oh I agree. I have posted as such looking for the quick outs, the slants, the screens etc. Andy did horrible in helping call short plays to stop the rush and take advantage of the middle of the field. Hell even Kelce had a bad day in the middle for that matter.  Play action would be another one to use, once you set up the run of course.....

It's really hard to say what will happen or compare to that era. I think people like to make the comparison between the two because of the early success both had. That's a valid argument in one way, but they're totally different QB's.  The closest players that I've heard others compare Mahomes to is Aaron Rodgers or Brett Favre. 

I do get the point however. The Chiefs need to establish the run more and not put it all on Mahomes to carry the team.  The Chiefs finally have a elite QB, maybe generational; but they still have to be smart about how they build the team. 

The loss to the Colts was disappointing, but let's just see how the rest of this season plays out. 

4 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Need a little running game to help. Why do we have Sherman? He’s a wasted spot if we don’t run once in a while.. I’d really like to see an attempt to run. Use the full back. 

Sexy run play right there. Hopefully that pathetic performance the Chiefs put up Sunday night will humble the stubborn walrus. 

I think the swings of offensIve trends are going to swing back to power running as the sexy trend. When everyone goes spread and starts running nickel and dime packages with lighter and faster players, some teams will load up and start bruising again.

I think our problem is too much shotgun. I see it with my college team, the shotgun and spread gets defeated by tough man press coverage and blitz schemes. And you cannot run as quick or effectively out of the shotgun because guys are in the backfield before the ball is handed off.

Chiefs don’t run nearly enough crossing routes. We need a slot possession guy. All these vertical sprinters that are small can get bullied at the line. Just bumping them for a second or two is enough to destroy their vertical routes.

I had nowhere to post this because it is irrelevant, but I was looking over box scores and realized if we had a field goal every possession, we would be undefeated. No touchdowns, no fumbles, no punts, no turnover on downs, etc. Just three points every possession. And no, I’m not making any claims of any thing. I just add positions. I didn’t count those that were 1 play before the half. I figured we would half lost one of the high scoring games. (Yes, I realize that if we only had field goals, the game would be different in both time, game flow, and number of positions and strategy from the opponent.)

The sad part is we have a great FB in Sherman who can do a lot to help his pathetic line. Can't imagine why we have any plays without him on the field, he's no worse than the guys carrying the rock as long as we stick to handful of carries and he's a better blocker than all. Not to mention he's a decent receiver, which should be a boost for Reid. 

10 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

Watch how the 9ers O line just blows everything to the right allowing FB to get one on one. Don't think our left side is capable of this. We'd get blown up in the backfield.

I think Andy will shore up that oline. The signing of Wiesneski (sp) is going to help out. Dude is a road grader..

Hopefully Andy goes back to the run game to slow things down for the defense and protect PM. I'm thinking Andy goes and dusts' off his old Alex Smith playbooks, and comes out with some quick screens, WR screens draw plays etc..

The Texans can put up some points, so we're gonna have to try and play them like everyone else plays us. Keep Watson off the field.

One thing I do have faith in is Andy Reid and his offensive mind. He's proven to us time and time again, that when he focuses, the offense is the best in the league. He's won a lot of games with Cam Erving playing in the past, so I think he'll light a fire in Cam's ass and the offense will get back on track.

Sad thing is, it doesn’t take much more than a great qb, its just this organization has done a terrible job at adding pieces around him to get it done, and on his rookie contract at that.

a solid o line to keep him upright long enough to get to ball to average receivers and the ability to stop the run so the other team doesn’t control time of possession is all that’s needed.

unfortunately they spent the money on toys for andy reid to tinker with and “pass defense”

Just now, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Sad thing is, it doesn’t take much more than a great qb, its just this organization has done a terrible job at adding pieces around him to get it done, and on his rookie contract at that.

a solid o line to keep him upright long enough to get to ball to average receivers and the ability to stop the run so the other team doesn’t control time of possession is all that’s needed.

unfortunately they spent the money on toys for andy reid to tinker with and “pass defense”

WINNER

13 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

Dropping $100 million on defensive players doesn’t win championships. Houston was the first mistake. Clark is the 2nd. Stop overpaying one guy and actually get a lot of solid guys. The only $100 million man should be the QB.

YES

16 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

Dropping $100 million on defensive players doesn’t win championships. Houston was the first mistake. Clark is the 2nd. Stop overpaying one guy and actually get a lot of solid guys. The only $100 million man should be the QB.

I'm ok with spending on some Defense, but the Clark decision was baffling.  They needed to make that splash towards landing a quality corner. 

The NFL is heavy towards fining guys for breathing on a QB too heavily and letting Offensive Lines hug guys to the ground.  Need guys that can cover and keep on their guys.  The Chiefs had that idea totally ass backwards.