Bengals looking to trade

Their center Trey Hopkins is an unrestricted free agent this off season and is coming into his own. 7th rated center in the league. Only 27. Plus they drafted Billy Price rd 1 last yr to be their center of the future. I'd be asking about his availability. They may take a late rounder for a guy who will likely walk anyway.

Crazy trade idea time...……...

First off lets look at a few numbers:

Geno Atkins Cost if traded for:  Lets say week 8

Rest of Season:  $6M hit

2020:  $11.6M

2021:  $12.2M

2022:  $13.45M

VS lets says Jones getting close to a Aaron Donald type 6 years $135M for a annual avg of $22.5...Lets say Jones gets $20M avg.  Atkins would save a lot in cap hit.

Performance wise Atkins is still performing as a top DT but of course at age 31 will fall off a lot sooner than Jones(still only 25).  I still believe Atkins will out perform his current contract and end his career here in KC with a few Super Bowl rings!

Now lets talk about the need for secondary help and a cat named Jalen Ramsey...Rumors are they want two mid-high 1st round picks and turned down a offer of two probably later round 1st round picks.  I did read a report that the Jags still feel that they are in the hunt and would like picks AND a elite player hat would help winning.  Jags have a need for a Elite pass catcher to pair with their young blossoming WR DJ Chark and slot man Dede Westbrook.  A guy like AJ Green is exactly what they are looking for!

I see the Bengals heading towards rebuild mode and gaining a young stud like Jones could be a building block of there team while trading away some older Vets with larger cap hits.

The good stuff....

Bengals get:

Chris Jones

Chiefs 2020 4th round pick

Jags get:

AJ Green

Chiefs 2020 1st round pick

Chiefs get:

Geno Atkins

Jalen Ramsey

1 hour ago, Balto said:

VS lets says Jones getting close to a Aaron Donald type 6 years $135M for a annual avg of $22.5...Lets say Jones gets $20M avg.  Atkins would save a lot in cap hit.

Performance wise Atkins is still performing as a top DT but of course at age 31 will fall off a lot sooner than Jones(still only 25).  I still believe Atkins will out perform his current contract and end his career here in KC with a few Super Bowl rings!

Now lets talk about the need for secondary help and a cat named Jalen Ramsey...Rumors are they want two mid-high 1st round picks and turned down a offer of two probably later round 1st round picks.  I did read a report that the Jags still feel that they are in the hunt and would like picks AND a elite player hat would help winning.  Jags have a need for a Elite pass catcher to pair with their young blossoming WR DJ Chark and slot man Dede Westbrook.  A guy like AJ Green is exactly what they are looking for!

I see the Bengals heading towards rebuild mode and gaining a young stud like Jones could be a building block of there team while trading away some older Vets with larger cap hits.

The good stuff....

Bengals get:

Chris Jones

Jags get:

AJ Green

Chiefs get:

Geno Atkins

Jalen Ramsey

Don't be greedy, Balto.  Pass that doobie around...

So in fantasy world i would have chris jones signed, not have spent resources for frank clarke, and tried to trade for geno atkins. To me chris jones and atkins on the interior is more valuable than edge rush.

we will probably end up with no chris jones and adding an expensive corner which is the opposite of what I would have done. 

hopefully the chiefs will end up right and me wrong.

side note offensive team building wise we have to stop spending money on secondary weapons at wr and use the money on the line. Mahomes will turn turds into weapons, all he needs is time and a healthy tyreek

22 hours ago, Balto said:

The good stuff....

Bengals get:

Chris Jones

Jags get:

AJ Green

Chiefs get:

Geno Atkins

Jalen Ramsey

Can you work a fourth team in there to get us a linebacker?  I would like Luke Kuechly please.

27 minutes ago, artsy said:

What would you give up for Atkins??

He's owed 44 million over the next 3 yrs. Hes 31 years old. Hes at an age where his performance should start to drop off and his years of club control will make him more expensive pick wise. That and giving the money to him rather than Jones is a slap in Jones' face. 

To me this doesnt seem like a probable target.

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

He's owed 44 million over the next 3 yrs. Hes 31 years old. Hes at an age where his performance should start to drop off and his years of club control will make him more expensive pick wise. That and giving the money to him rather than Jones is a slap in Jones' face. 

Jones is 25. They have all along planned to pay him. There just weren't going to give him the huge contract until his contract was up. Smart. I'd love Atkins, but it makes no sense. 

5 hours ago, kkuenn said:

What about Atkins next to Jones? I know the price etc but man would it be great to have a run stuffer im this line.

That's exactly what Nnadi was drafted for. Would be an admission that they dont think he can be the player they hoped. Jesus that first Veach draft has yielded so little...

7 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

His contract is cheap for the type of player he is.  Cinnzy for some reason gave him a huge bonus and spread it out over the contract.

5 hours ago, kkuenn said:

What about Atkins next to Jones? I know the price etc but man would it be great to have a run stuffer im this line.

Cut/trade Sammy this off season and Atkins contract becomes very easy to manage even with paying Jones.

9 hours ago, Balto said:

His contract is cheap for the type of player he is.  Cinnzy for some reason gave him a huge bonus and spread it out over the contract.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/geno-atkins-6628/

He has a 14.2 million dollar cap number next year. He is a 7 time pro bowler and an absolute beast. But that's still a significant chunk of change. Even if they paid Jones and structured the first year to be a minimal cap hit, overall hes still going to command close to top of the market money. 

So in 2021, you'd be looking at roughly 60 million dollars in cap hits between Atkins, Jones, and Clark. 

This is why it's so important that Saunders, Nnadi, and Speaks develop into good players. Right now we cant say that about any of them. Nnadi has been decent. Saunders and Speaks are total question marks. But the cap hit between all 3 of them would be less than Atkins. 

MUST. HIT. ON . DRAFT. PICKS. IN. EARLY. ROUNDS.

I dont care about Khalil Mackenzie or Tremon Smith being released. But getting zero contribution out of guys drafted rds 1-3 cannot happen.