Houston and Ford

Boy how I miss those two getting after the qb. I bitched about fords inability to hold up against the run, and Houston robbing us blind after he got paid, but at least they brought some pass rush...

We dumped them both and the run defense is just as bad, if not worse.

How many of you think Watson scores that TD if he was one one with Houston vs. Clark?

1 minute ago, Thegoatee said:

Houston isn’t worth $20 million or whatever his cap number would be. Ford is still a one trick pony with a wonky knee making just a little less than Clark. They were on an atrocious  defense that gave up huge plays. The defense now is death by a thousand cuts.

SF seems delighted with his effort and its in a 4-3. So there is that. Beat the Rams silly today. 

That is still a sack every other game for a guy making nearly $20 a year. 

I watched Ford against the Rams today. He consistently got pressure and he creates sacks for others around him. Clark, does nothing but run wind sprints with the tackle 10 yards behind the LOS .

Just now, DefensiveMan said:

I watched them against the Rams today. He consistently got pressure and he creates sacks for others around him. Clark, does nothing but run wind sprints with the tackle 10 yards behind the LOS .

EXACTLY...Ford is a force on a dominating defense.

Just now, FANATIC said:

SF seems delighted with his effort and its in a 4-3. So there is that. Beat the Rams silly today. 

Tampa beat the Rams. Not sure the Rams are the same Rams as the first 12 games last year. I just don’t want to be 20/20 here. They had a bunch of sacks despite the defense being crap for us last year.

Just now, Thegoatee said:

Tampa beat the Rams. Not sure the Rams are the same Rams as the first 12 games last year. I just don’t want to be 20/20 here. They had a bunch of sacks despite the defense being crap for us last year.

Its not just about sacks. Thats fantasy crap. He causes pressure and forces turnovers too. I would trade Clark in a heart beat to get him back.

But if you agree that the secondary is better than it was last year,  that pss rush would be paying big dividends right now.

1 minute ago, FANATIC said:

Its not just about sacks. Thats fantasy crap. He causes pressure and forces turnovers too. I would trade Clark in a heart beat to get him back.

Lets see if Ford is worth $17 million a year after another couple of years. I would only drop that much money on an all around LB. I’d also rather have anything than Clark, like a fun rookie.

Clark isn't he problem.   Nnadi, Hitchens, Nieman, Lee, and Wilson are.   Gotta have a stout run cloggind DT or a gap shooting disruptor.  Nnadi is a slow plodding DT that can't hold the point of attack or keep Olineman off lbs.   Our LB's............well they just suck.   I saw one of our linebackers on a goalline play get to the goal line.........get to the goalline after the running back did.   I mean how does that even happen?   I could see getting pushed back but he didn't even get there in time.     

Clark isn't the problem he's simply a problem. That attempt at a tackle against Waton's TD was no different than watching Ford run like a headless chicken away from the run game. Looks like we replaced a bad player with another bad player but the bad player we sent was at least decent in one aspect of the game but obviously not worth a new deal.

Among the 3 Houston is the best one so far in his new role and could have been much better to keep him for 21 million this year with the picks. He would either bring in a pick in FA or could be kept for a decent contract for the next couple seasons while we use those prime picks to fix the OL. 

6 hours ago, sith13 said:

Clark isn't the problem he's simply a problem. That attempt at a tackle against Waton's TD was no different than watching Ford run like a headless chicken away from the run game. Looks like we replaced a bad player with another bad player but the bad player we sent was at least decent in one aspect of the game but obviously not worth a new deal.

Among the 3 Houston is the best one so far in his new role and could have been much better to keep him for 21 million this year with the picks. He would either bring in a pick in FA or could be kept for a decent contract for the next couple seasons while we use those prime picks to fix the OL. 

Houston said he was not approached by KC to rework his deal. We will never know if he would have taken the same deal he got from the Colts to stay in KC.

8 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Houston said he was not approached by KS to rework his deal. We will never know if he would have taken the same deal he got from the Colts to stay in KC.

With Speaks considered a solid prospect and Okafor signing I would imagine having Houston for a year would be enough of an investment at DE with guys like Kpass and Ogbah in the mix as well. Feels like we created a very unnecessary burden and a pointless urgency to fix it on the draft week. 

6 hours ago, sith13 said:

Pretty spot on.  They wanted Clark over Ford.  But wanted Houston to take a pay cut whereas he wanted more guaranteed money to restructure and that Dorsey contract simply bit us.  In retrospect though at 23 million under the CAP we could have had him and still had 9 million in CAP money with even less dead money after this season. That looks like is should have been the play.  

1 minute ago, DefensiveMan said:

This defense had an identity last year. Most sacks in the league overall. Ferocious pass rush which couldn't stop the run. 

I don't see an identity for this season. They can't get to the passer nor can they stop the run. This is what concerns me.

Bring Back Sutton-itis.

The Oline play cost KC both of these games. It hurt the defense too. Three and outs with KC? Oline is the #1 problem.

19 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Bring Back Sutton-itis.

The Oline play cost KC both of these games. It hurt the defense too. Three and outs with KC? Oline is the #1 problem.

OL has been the biggest issue and not only in the last 2 games. People tend to ignore problems as long as there's a win on the board but some wins clearly show the major issues that will mess up the team in near future. The excuse after the Jags game was their all-world DL but looks like it doesn't take that much to mess up our OL. I can't imagine why the glaring holes at starting positions were overlooked in favor of pointless upgrades elsewhere. Defense is basically in a rebuild mode but definitely not giving much hope for the future.

18 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

Lets see if Ford is worth $17 million a year after another couple of years. I would only drop that much money on an all around LB. I’d also rather have anything than Clark, like a fun rookie.

Same people bitching that he's not here anymore are the ones who would have been moaning and groaning about paying such an injury plagued player so much money. I've got no problems there.  Houston is the guy I'm now thinking we could have easily kept for one more year. 

18 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Same people bitching that he's not here anymore are the ones who would have been moaning and groaning about paying such an injury plagued player so much money. I've got no problems there.  Houston is the guy I'm now thinking we could have easily kept for one more year. 

Lol I agree. I will go one step further and say:  if we kept Houston at the 21 mil or even restructured, there would be many bitching why we kept the guy for what he is giving per his salary. Ford is already nursing injuries and Houston for his restructured price would have kicked the can down the road and not matched with his production. Clean break all around was best.