Sit Mahomes on short week?

Would you consider sitting Mahomes at Denver  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Would you consider sitting Mahomes at Denver

• Yes
    • No

10 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Every week is just another aggravation of the injury and now on a short week it’s going to be even tougher to recover. At some point protecting our biggest asset has to be a consideration.  

Agree. Sounds like Pat said he is ready to go so doubt it.

2 minutes ago, soonerborn77 said:

I would but there's no chance he would do it, which is of course something we like out of him

Agree he’d never sit. This would have to be a coaching decision.  I also understand Andy probably wouldn’t consider it either.  I just think he should. Fisher may be able to start practicing in a few weeks. Im just in favor of trying to get the O healthy and I’m willing to sacrifice short term to do it. 

4 minutes ago, BroncoStud said:

Denver's defensive front played lights out against the Titans, I don't think it's going to be the bye week you guys are thinking it will be...

I know that's your ego talking, but literally nobody in here has said this this will be an easy game.  This is all about getting his ankle more under control and a 4 day turnaround(regardless of the opponent) has people questioning sacrificing the short term for the long term success of the season...

8 minutes ago, BroncoStud said:

Denver's defensive front played lights out against the Titans, I don't think it's going to be the bye week you guys are thinking it will be...

Agree. I would rather lose to Denver than risk Mahomes getting injured. Denver may well win this one with Mahomes playing. Denver may be favored. AFC West is now wide open.

32 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

lunacy..players play.. Tom Brady plays when there is no need..why not MVPat

I’m sure this will be Andy’s thought as well. But in the big picture is the team best served by this mentality especially with an oline that can’t protect him combined with him being unable to protect himself? His play is clearly deteriorating with the injury and the likelyhood of a more serious injury is obviously higher in these circumstances. 

2 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I’m sure this will be Andy’s thought as well. But in the big picture is the team best served by this mentality especially with an oline that can’t protect him combined with him being unable to protect himself? His play is clearly deteriorating with the injury and the likelyhood of a more serious injury is obviously higher in these circumstances. 

Mahomes play deteriorating due to injuy? Not so. Its due to the oline failures. Reids play calling is about oline failure and not so much the play calls. Even Mahomes needs a little time to execute this offense. Hell the oline spends more time in the KC back field than I have ever seen. Crazy Bad Play. 

25 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Mahomes play deteriorating due to injuy? Not so. Its due to the oline failures. Reids play calling is about oline failure and not so much the play calls. Even Mahomes needs a little time to execute this offense. Hell the oline spends more time in the KC back field than I have ever seen. Crazy Bad Play. 

Numbers don’t lie. His inability to get outside the pocket takes away a huge part of his game and lets opponents exploit our oline even more. Even in the pocket you see his numbers drop dramatically every time the injury is aggravated. Accuracy impacted from throwing off one leg and way more floaters than he used to throw. 

The oline without Fish has been a disaster which is without a doubt our biggest issue on offense right now. it’s definitely led to this injury being aggravated every week. If they were playing well I wouldn’t consider sitting him. 

1 hour ago, FANATIC said:

Agree. I would rather lose to Denver than risk Mahomes getting injured. Denver may well win this one with Mahomes playing. Denver may be favored. AFC West is now wide open.

Let's not go crazy here now...  I don't think Denver wins this game, not by a long shot.  The Denver offense is pathetic.  Mike Shanahan was running a far more complex passing game back in the mid 1990s than what Denver does today, in 2019.  And Average Joe Flacco doesn't attack the field the way a QB should.  If Denver somehow wins this game it will be the result of a superhuman effort from it's defense, and the Denver running game delivering.  But that's improbable, in my opinion.

12 minutes ago, BroncoStud said:

Let's not go crazy here now...  I don't think Denver wins this game, not by a long shot.  The Denver offense is pathetic.  Mike Shanahan was running a far more complex passing game back in the mid 1990s than what Denver does today, in 2019.  And Average Joe Flacco doesn't attack the field the way a QB should.  If Denver somehow wins this game it will be the result of a superhuman effort from it's defense, and the Denver running game delivering.  But that's improbable, in my opinion.

Cmon Stud dont be so humble.....Denver has a big fat chunk of what I call KC "KRYPTONITE" .....

AKA,  An effective run game and a pass rush.

That's all teams have needed to challenge/beat KC lately.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27840057/barnwell-answering-nine-questions-define-nfl-season

Should the Chiefs sit Patrick Mahomes for a week?

For the second week in a row, Mahomes aggravated the ankle injury he originally suffered in Kansas City's season-opening win over Jacksonville. For the second week in a row, he wasn't anywhere near as effective after taking a hit to the ankle. And for the second week in a row, the Chiefs lost at home to AFC South competition, this time falling to the Texans 31-24.

In a game in which the Texans scored 31 points, the Chiefs didn't exclusively lose because Mahomes got injured. Kansas City's run defense remains an absolute disaster, and the Chiefs' pass rush failed to sack Watson once across 42 dropbacks. After throwing for 116 yards -- not a typo -- and a touchdown on the opening drive of the game, though, Mahomes wasn't effective after a second-quarter hit by Benardrick McKinney.

I went through the Jaguars, Colts and Texans games and charted Mahomes' performance before and after he injured his ankle. (There were two moments when Mahomes seemed to aggravate the ankle in the Colts game; I used the first as my cutoff point.) The numbers can't really be much clearer. In those three games, he has gone from before the ankle flare-up playing like the greatest quarterback who ever lived to looking more like, well, Andy Dalton:

Mahomes' Injury Splits

SPLIT BEFORE ANKLE
INJURY
AFTER ANKLE
INJURY
Cmp 38 28
Att 55 49
Cmp% 69.1% 57.1%
Yds 676 296
Y/Att 12.3 6
TD 5 2
INT 0 1
Rating 141.1 80

There is a report that has suggested Mahomes might be suffering from a high-ankle sprain, which can sideline running backs for weeks but doesn't always keep quarterbacks out of games. Peyton Manning, for one, was able to play through a high ankle sprain during his MVP season in 2013. You don't need me to tell you how different Manning is from Mahomes, of course, and we've repeatedly seen Mahomes sail throws and struggle with his deep accuracy after he injures the ankle. With limited mobility, Mahomes is still a valuable quarterback, but he loses at least some portion of his magic.

The way to heal an ankle injury is with rest. It would be great if the Chiefs had a bye, of course, but Kansas City's bye doesn't come until Week 12, meaning he is set to play through this injury for five more games. He's also facing a short week in advance of a trip to Denver for a Thursday night game against the Broncos, who have won two straight after a heartbreaking 0-4 start to the season.

Obviously, the Chiefs don't want to go to backup Matt Moore unless absolutely necessary. Mahomes has also been great before aggravating the ankle injury, and he played like a star between Weeks 2 and 4. Given what has happened over the last two weeks, though, wouldn't this be a logical time to consider sitting him for a game in the hopes of getting him right for subsequent starts against the Packers and Vikings?

Patrick Mahomes threw for 41 yards in the second half against the Texans, which is the fewest yards he has ever passed for in a single half. Scott Winters/Icon Sportswire

Ideally, the Chiefs would want a home game against the Dolphins, for instance, if they were going to sit their quarterback. That's not happening, but given their upcoming schedule, this road game against the Broncos would be the best time to manufacture some downtime for Mahomes in advance of the bye. The Chiefs are 3.5-point favorites at Denver, and while they would certainly become underdogs if Moore got the start, it would still be a winnable contest. An extra week of rest might not heal Mahomes' ankle, but avoiding the short week and getting what amounts to a bye would give the Chiefs the best chance of having their starter healthy for the remainder of the season.

Do I think the Chiefs will sit Mahomes? No. I could certainly see them resting him in the second half if they have a big lead or trail by a significant margin in any of their pre-bye games. If Mahomes is still ailing in Week 11 and the Chiefs have a comfortable divisional lead, they could theoretically rest Mahomes against the Chargers and give him a two-week breather in advance of the final five games of the season. For now, though, the Chiefs will likely continue to run him out there and simply hope their star doesn't injure the ankle any further.

17 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27840057/barnwell-answering-nine-questions-define-nfl-season

Should the Chiefs sit Patrick Mahomes for a week?

For the second week in a row, Mahomes aggravated the ankle injury he originally suffered in Kansas City's season-opening win over Jacksonville. For the second week in a row, he wasn't anywhere near as effective after taking a hit to the ankle. And for the second week in a row, the Chiefs lost at home to AFC South competition, this time falling to the Texans 31-24.

In a game in which the Texans scored 31 points, the Chiefs didn't exclusively lose because Mahomes got injured. Kansas City's run defense remains an absolute disaster, and the Chiefs' pass rush failed to sack Watson once across 42 dropbacks. After throwing for 116 yards -- not a typo -- and a touchdown on the opening drive of the game, though, Mahomes wasn't effective after a second-quarter hit by Benardrick McKinney.

I went through the Jaguars, Colts and Texans games and charted Mahomes' performance before and after he injured his ankle. (There were two moments when Mahomes seemed to aggravate the ankle in the Colts game; I used the first as my cutoff point.) The numbers can't really be much clearer. In those three games, he has gone from before the ankle flare-up playing like the greatest quarterback who ever lived to looking more like, well, Andy Dalton:

Mahomes' Injury Splits

SPLIT BEFORE ANKLE
INJURY
AFTER ANKLE
INJURY
Cmp 38 28
Att 55 49
Cmp% 69.1% 57.1%
Yds 676 296
Y/Att 12.3 6
TD 5 2
INT 0 1
Rating 141.1 80

There is a report that has suggested Mahomes might be suffering from a high-ankle sprain, which can sideline running backs for weeks but doesn't always keep quarterbacks out of games. Peyton Manning, for one, was able to play through a high ankle sprain during his MVP season in 2013. You don't need me to tell you how different Manning is from Mahomes, of course, and we've repeatedly seen Mahomes sail throws and struggle with his deep accuracy after he injures the ankle. With limited mobility, Mahomes is still a valuable quarterback, but he loses at least some portion of his magic.

The way to heal an ankle injury is with rest. It would be great if the Chiefs had a bye, of course, but Kansas City's bye doesn't come until Week 12, meaning he is set to play through this injury for five more games. He's also facing a short week in advance of a trip to Denver for a Thursday night game against the Broncos, who have won two straight after a heartbreaking 0-4 start to the season.

Obviously, the Chiefs don't want to go to backup Matt Moore unless absolutely necessary. Mahomes has also been great before aggravating the ankle injury, and he played like a star between Weeks 2 and 4. Given what has happened over the last two weeks, though, wouldn't this be a logical time to consider sitting him for a game in the hopes of getting him right for subsequent starts against the Packers and Vikings?

Patrick Mahomes threw for 41 yards in the second half against the Texans, which is the fewest yards he has ever passed for in a single half. Scott Winters/Icon Sportswire

Ideally, the Chiefs would want a home game against the Dolphins, for instance, if they were going to sit their quarterback. That's not happening, but given their upcoming schedule, this road game against the Broncos would be the best time to manufacture some downtime for Mahomes in advance of the bye. The Chiefs are 3.5-point favorites at Denver, and while they would certainly become underdogs if Moore got the start, it would still be a winnable contest. An extra week of rest might not heal Mahomes' ankle, but avoiding the short week and getting what amounts to a bye would give the Chiefs the best chance of having their starter healthy for the remainder of the season.

Do I think the Chiefs will sit Mahomes? No. I could certainly see them resting him in the second half if they have a big lead or trail by a significant margin in any of their pre-bye games. If Mahomes is still ailing in Week 11 and the Chiefs have a comfortable divisional lead, they could theoretically rest Mahomes against the Chargers and give him a two-week breather in advance of the final five games of the season. For now, though, the Chiefs will likely continue to run him out there and simply hope their star doesn't injure the ankle any further.

Well, apparently Reid does NOT CARE what anyone thinks when it comes to HIS QB!

If Mahomes says he's good, then damnit Reid is gonna keep doing Andy Reid things.

So there.

Lol..

4 hours ago, artsy said:

Cmon Stud dont be so humble.....Denver has a big fat chunk of what I call KC "KRYPTONITE" .....

AKA,  An effective run game and a pass rush.

That's all teams have needed to challenge/beat KC lately.

Dude, just wait until you see the Denver offense play this week...  It's terrible.  There is nothing redeeming about it, at all.  Houston has a great QB/WR combination, and that is why they were able to beat KC.  If Denver had any semblance of a reliable passing game they would have beaten the Titans 40-0.  But they don't, and Tennessee was very much in the game late in the 3rd quarter.

5 hours ago, FANATIC said:

Mahomes play deteriorating due to injuy? Not so. Its due to the oline failures. Reids play calling is about oline failure and not so much the play calls. Even Mahomes needs a little time to execute this offense. here the oline spends more time in the KC back field than I have ever seen. Crazy Bad Play. 

Nah, it's the injury.  See this from Barnwell.  Basically in the three games where he got hurt (JAX, IND, HOU), his play dropped off as soon as the ankle rolled.  For all the talk about fixing his footwork and having the arm to overcome bad footwork, his accuracy and ball speed clearly drops off when the ankle is hurting.  He can survive a bad online if he's healthy and scrambling.  He can't survive a bad online if it means he hurts the ankle more.  Put another way, he can survive pressure, he can't survive hits.

================================================================

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27840057/barnwell-answering-nine-questions-define-nfl-season#kc

Mahomes' Injury Splits

SPLIT BEFORE ANKLE
INJURY
AFTER ANKLE
INJURY
Cmp 38 28
Att 55 49
Cmp% 69.1% 57.1%
Yds 676 296
Y/Att 12.3 6
TD 5 2
INT 0 1
Rating 141.1 80