It takes time

Some of you....a few perhaps....may remember back last summer when a few of us lost souls posted a less than optimistic assessment of the Chiefs defense.   This is not an I told you so post.   The truth is that it takes time for a new defense to come together.   These guys have not played defense together before last month.   There are a number of wholesale working parts that have not meshed.  Will they by mid season?   I don't know.   But quit being stupid.  You can dream all the pipe dreams you want but for an eleven man defense to solidify is not something that happens overnight.    This may not be the Chiefs year regardless of the rose colored glasses.    But please...….be realistic.    This team is still a work in progress and there will be bumps along the road.  Disappointed?   Of course we are.   But we still lead the division and the AFC is so screwed up right now that no body  (but New England) is in a dominant position.

7 minutes ago, wilkie said:

Some of you....a few perhaps....may remember back last summer when a few of us lost souls posted a less than optimistic assessment of the Chiefs defense.   This is not an I told you so post.   The truth is that it takes time for a new defense to come together.   These guys have not played defense together before last month.   There are a number of wholesale working parts that have not meshed.  Will they by mid season?   I don't know.   But quit being stupid.  You can dream all the pipe dreams you want but for an eleven man defense to solidify is not something that happens overnight.    This may not be the Chiefs year regardless of the rose colored glasses.    But please...….be realistic.    This team is still a work in progress and there will be bumps along the road.  Disappointed?   Of course we are.   But we still lead the division and the AFC is so screwed up right now that no body  (but New England) is in a dominant position.

Not buying it. Maybe the sheme takes time. But once the ball is snapped, beat the guy in front of you. If you get $63 mil and give up a 1st & a 2nd you should quit dancing at the line of scrimmage with a 3rd string tackle. Also make a tackle. Go back and look at guys trying to tackle a guy's head or head down diving at ankles. DBs need to turn their heads around. The whole D needs to learn down distance and situation. These guys drop passes they should intercept and intercept passes they should bat down.  And terrible angles. This stuff should be learned in high school. And the talent evaluators should have seen all this before bringing them in.

Yeah Wilkie I think I'd have to agree with you if Alex Smith was the QB. However, we are about to drop about 200 mill for Mahomes' discount double-check. The SB window is now and closing fast. Clark Hunt needs to take over this locker room. No more excuses for Andy and his staff...

32 minutes ago, wilkie said:

BLAH BLAH BLAH

46 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

BLAH BLAH BLAH

You are seriously just a complete tool. You couldnt help yourself. You didnt have the maturity to write something of substance or keep your fingers off your keyboard. 

All you ever do here is point out our teams shortcomings and argue with other board members. I honestly have considered leaving this site because of you alone.

You said you had a 12 oclock tee time yesterday. I was kind of hoping somebody would hit you with their driver on a backswing and youd be playing with coloring books and play dough from now on, instead of polluting this forum. 

1 hour ago, wilkie said:

good post. couple of things. first off i don’t see any improvements from game to game. that’s why it’s discouraging. we are fighting through injuries so that doesn’t help. you are correct that the afc is up in the air. i include NE because they haven’t played anyone yet. the meat of there schedule is coming. 

i hope this thursday they lay the hammer down and be physical. 

Bro this is just football.  Schemes issues are guys missing assignments which we have but when we can’t bring guys down that are wrapped up at the LOS that is lack of talent and failure to properly evaluate talent.   Being realistic is realizing that Veach has married us to a core of JAGs and unless we find 3 studs in this draft we could be worse next year.  I don’t have rose colored classes on I am wide eyed and nauseous.  Every piece that Veach has put in place as a cornerstone is underperforming and most we are stuck with through next year.   Hope you are right though.

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

Bro this is just football.  Schemes issues are guys missing assignments which we have but when we can’t bring guys down that are wrapped up at the LOS that is lack of talent and failure to properly evaluate talent.   Being realistic is realizing that Veach has married us to a core of JAGs and unless we find 3 studs in this draft we could be worse next year.  I don’t have rose colored classes on I am wide eyed and nauseous.  Every piece that Veach has put in place as a cornerstone is underperforming and most we are stuck with through next year.   Hope you are right though.

Actually you've swung full pendulum. You've gone from rose colored glasses to doom and gloom in 2 weeks. Bring realistic is realizing that this team isnt as good as they played the first 3 weeks and certainly not as bad as they've played the last 2. 

It's ok to be mad when they underperform, but people are ripping the team apart like we just finished 5-11 or something. It's pretty ridiculous.

3 hours ago, wilkie said:

Opposite of your politics, your football assessments are usually spot on.  You are taking a beating in this thread but your post is actually logical and well-reasoned.

20 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Actually you've swung full pendulum. You've gone from rose colored glasses to doom and gloom in 2 weeks. Bring realistic is realizing that this team isnt as good as they played the first 3 weeks and certainly not as bad as they've played the last 2. 

It's ok to be mad when they underperform, but people are ripping the team apart like we just finished 5-11 or something. It's pretty ridiculous.

I can’t remember being this optimistic about a team since I was a teenager watching Joe Montana, so my expectations were  higher than normal.  These last three games are a gut check to those expectations.   Hard to see it getting turned around enough on D either.  

41 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I can’t remember being this optimistic about a team since I was a teenager watching Joe Montana, so my expectations were  higher than normal.  These last three games are a gut check to those expectations.   Hard to see it getting turned around enough on D either.  

I'm not saying the defense is gonna be good. But the team will improve. We arent gonna play the way we did Sunday again. TNF I bet they will come out playing like their hair is on fire.

31 minutes ago, BroncoStud said:

Yeah right.  The Denver offense makes me ill to watch.  Denver isn't winning this game dudue.

I sooo hope you're right.

Based on the last 3 weeks, I just cant see how the chiefs win. Their strength is our weakness. 

40 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I'm not saying the defense is gonna be good. But the team will improve. We arent gonna play the way we did Sunday again. TNF I bet they will come out playing like their hair is on fire.

I think so too.  Andy might not go full blown Herm ball but I think he'll get it corrected.

2 hours ago, BroncoStud said:

Opposite of your politics, your football assessments are usually spot on.  You are taking a beating in this thread but your post is actually logical and well-reasoned.

Thanks BS.   Played a lot of football and my love affair with the CHIEFS goes back to 1965.   The trick is not to get too high or too low.  Try to look at it as it is and not how you wished it was or wasnt.

I absolutely agree Wilkie.  Almost ever single person looked at this Defense and saw the Defense as a problem, but not as bad as it was last year.  We changed Schemes and a lot of playes . It does take time.  All this Defensive mumbo jumbo makes no sense if the Offense is clicking  at the rate it has over the last two years.   Chiefs have some injuries.  They need to get healthy

20 hours ago, DefensiveMan said:

Yeah Wilkie I think I'd have to agree with you if Alex Smith was the QB. However, we are about to drop about 200 mill for Mahomes' discount double-check. The SB window is now and closing fast. Clark Hunt needs to take over this locker room. No more excuses for Andy and his staff...

The window isn't closing any time soon.  Except for Mahomes, every Chiefs' player can be replaced.  Keeping Kelce, Jones, and Hill would be very useful, but no one player going FA or quitting will kill the team.  It not like a group of aging veterans are ready to decline. 

Injuries have derailed this team. I think we were all guilty of having expectations that were too high, and injuries have exposed flaws in our depth, and shown how “next man up” can be truly devastating. The margin of error in the nfl is very thin.  The difference between 11-5 and 7-9 can truly be but a handful of plays.  As we get players back this team will get back on the right track , but I still think we’re a year away from being where we want to be.  We need linebackers and interior linemen in the worst way. 

only question about the denver game, is just how many starters can actually play. and its a thursday game.... 

denvers playing like shit... but.... we have a tackle and a center.  so.......and on defense.... not sure we have 5 healthy linemen, between the 0 and the D