Silver linings?

Ward looked like he played a good game against a good wr group.   If he can continue to develop and become an above avg CB then that helps tremendously next year.  Also by stoke piling OL maybe we found a long term option at LG in Rankin or at least someone that will make Erving expendable.   I wish we could have gotten a better look at Allegretti during this horrendous run but maybe we have some guys developing that can fill this holes and allow us to pour most of our picks into the D.   Pringle, Hardman and thornhill are already playing decent football and should only get better.  Any other positives to pull out of this steaming pile of crap these last two games?   

2 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Ward looked like he played a good game against a good wr group.   If he can continue to develop and become an above avg CB then that helps tremendously next year.  Also by stoke piling OL maybe we found a long term option at LG in Rankin or at least someone that will make Erving expendable.   I wish we could have gotten a better look at Allegretti during this horrendous run but maybe we have some guys developing that can fill this holes and allow us to pour most of our picks into the D.   Pringle, Hardman and thornhill are already playing decent football and should only get better.  Any other positives to pull out of this steaming pile of crap these last two games?   

Hard to say. The hallmark of a good player is consistency. Even if a player is average...be consistently average. Don't be pretty good one week and then totally suck choad the next. And that is what Ward has been doing. Very frustrating. As far as Rankin. Too early to know. Chiefs could field an entire team of guys who we picked up off the scrap pile or traded for...guys who started out looking pretty good only to piss themselves down the road. To be fair...the defense as a unit is consistent. Consistently bad against the run. Consistently committing penalties. Consistently playing soft. Consistently missing tackles.

26 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Hard to say. The hallmark of a good player is consistency. Even if a player is average...be consistently average. Don't be pretty good one week and then totally suck choad the next. And that is what Ward has been doing. Very frustrating. As far as Rankin. Too early to know. Chiefs could field an entire team of guys who we picked up off the scrap pile or traded for...guys who started out looking pretty good only to piss themselves down the road. To be fair...the defense as a unit is consistent. Consistently bad against the run. Consistently committing penalties. Consistently playing soft. Consistently missing tackles.

Hey I’m trying to dig myself out of this abyss lol.  I’m looking for any shred of hope.  Well at least we have Mahomes and it could be worse....Rams, Eagles, and Browns.

32 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I think if we can get this win in Denver on a short week then we can get healthy and make a strong push when Fisher gets back along with Watkins.    

Yup, mini bye week after that. Chris Jones as well om defense. The best thing about this two game losing streak is that it happened along early enough unlike last year where we lost late to LAC then Seattle. Coaches need to adjust and players need to refocus on fundamentals.

7 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Honey Badger was a good signing. Thornhill looks like an impact player. Safety situation very improved. 

Ward is improving too. He was beat several times last week where he had excellent coverage but didnt locate the ball. This week...he located that ball in the endzone and picked it.

He is uber talented. Enviable size/speed combo and seems to be a fast learner. Call me crazy if you want, but I think hes gonna be a stud.

5 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Ward is improving too. He was beat several times last week where he had excellent coverage but didnt locate the ball. This week...he located that ball in the endzone and picked it.

He is uber talented. Enviable size/speed combo and seems to be a fast learner. Call me crazy if you want, but I think hes gonna be a stud.

Zone concepts have been tough for him but he deserves a learning curve there for sure. Love his attitude.  

17 hours ago, DefensiveMan said:

Yup, mini bye week after that. Chris Jones as well om defense. The best thing about this two game losing streak is that it happened along early enough unlike last year where we lost late to LAC then Seattle. Coaches need to adjust and players need to refocus on fundamentals.

I agree. While the sudden fall off is troubling, the NFL is truly a week-to-week business. If we come out on Thursday and play well, everyone will feel better. That being said, this is kind of a must win game. We have the Packers and Vikings coming up and they both look like legit playoff contenders. Our schedule just doesn't seem to let up this year.

8 hours ago, sith13 said:

It's all about consistency with Ward. He has shown very good performances while sucking at other times. Unless he gets to a level where he can do it consistently I'm not sold on him as a starter. 

He's only 23 years old. So patience needed!

16 minutes ago, Dan4pres said:

I agree. While the sudden fall off is troubling, the NFL is truly a week-to-week business. If we come out on Thursday and play well, everyone will feel better. That being said, this is kind of a must win game. We have the Packers and Vikings coming up and the both look like legit playoff contenders. Our schedule just doesn't seem to let up this year.

Agree its a tough schedule. But I really think most of our issues are more about us than our opponent. If we can figure it out on the oline we can run through these teams with pure offense again and hope at some point the D comes around. But if that doesn't happen we are going to find a lot of games even against non contenders major struggles. 

Imo, the secondary is the strongest unit of this weak defense.

I'm thinking Spags should start selling out to stop the run (stacking the box), and seeing if this secondary and lock down one on one...

Other than that, I don't know how they stop the bleeding/leaking/gashing of the run defense.