If Mahomes is out for a long time or the season...

I know there's going to be some quick reactions from people that the Chiefs should scramble and make some kind of big move at QB to try and save the season and that's fair.  I get that fans want the Chiefs to win, I do too.  The Chiefs will have to add a QB as Matt Moore is the only one on the roster and I'm not sure Chad Henne's IR designation allows for him to return this year.

However, let's just take a step back for a moment and ask ourselves if we really want the Chiefs spending resources(money/draft picks) for a starting caliber QB better than Matt Moore.

Here are the things to consider:

1)  Teams will have all the leverage in a trade for even guys like Dalton, E. Manning or Mariota.  Desperation would bring up the cost of those trades.

2)  The cap hit the QB brings with them.

Personally, if Mahomes is out for the season I say just stand pat and see what happens.  Worst case scenario is we go 6-10/7-9 and are picking top 15 in the draft next year.

I'm not sure Chris Jones will be extended.  He's likely to be tagged and traded so if you add that compensation to a top 15 pick in each round, the Chiefs would be set up nicely with draft picks and cap space going into 2020.

This sucks, but giving this Chiefs team a top 15 pick in each round next year would be scary for the teams in our division and the AFC.

This is nonsense. You don't tank no matter what. You want to lose the respect of your players and most logical fans? If you tank with a good team that's exactly what you do. How would you feel if your boss started losing money on purpose just so they could go bankrupt?

Tanking with this team is one of the stupidest things I've heard in the last 24 hours. Anyone thinking that, should be ashamed of themselves and become a Brownie or Dolphin fan.

9 minutes ago, artsy said:

Mullins is good, but I'm the "please don't trade anymore picks away" camp for a backup qb. Bring up Shurmur and pull Henne from IR. I think he's eligible after next week anyways.

Henne was eligible to practice after week 6 but I assume he's not ready.  

Injury analysis: Making sense of Patrick Mahomes’ patellar dislocation

Our in-house injury expert, Aaron Borgmann, weighs in on the injury Mahomes suffered on Thursday night.

By aborgmann  

Kansas City Chiefs v Denver BroncosPhoto by Justin Edmonds/Getty Images

Most fans know that Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes dislocated his patella (kneecap) last night in the game against the Denver Broncos. Let’s be clear on this: it was his kneecap that dislocated—not his knee, a big distinction.

This injury is seen frequently in contact sports with first-time traumatic dislocations accounting for approximately 3% of all knee injuries, according to a recent study.

While we couldn’t see the actual moment the injury happened at the bottom of the pile, what we did see was an excellent shot of a physician getting Mahomes to relax and extend his leg and his patella reducing or “relocating” back to its anatomical position. This is the preferred and correct method of acute management of the injury.

Diagram of the patellar when dislocated

Patella_diagram.png

As we can see in the picture provided, the patella moves out of its normal location laterally, to the outside, and rests there until reduced on its own or by a healthcare provider.

While this may seem fairly innocent, there are actually several ramifications that must be considered here.

First and foremost: was any obvious fracture noted of the patella itself or the lateral femoral condyle, and if so, to what extent is the damage? We have been told through reports that Mahomes did not suffer a fracture last night based on X-rays taken at the stadium, so that is the first thing to check off the list.

In some cases, if fractured, the possibility exists of loose bodies that are associated with the injury from the patella or the femur.

Second: we must consider the area that the patella sits in anatomically, called the trochlear groove. Was it damaged as the patella was forced out of its normal resting place?

Third and perhaps most importantly: was there any damage to something called the medial patellofemoral ligament (MPFL) and medial retinaculum? These are some of the main supporting structures holding the patella in place as it does its job.

image02.jpg

One of the main reasons that we as clinicians worry so much about the medial structures in this injury is the fact that if they are compromised, the chance for re-dislocation increases dramatically.

This injury typically comes with swelling in most who suffer it acutely and for the first time — others who chronically dislocate, less so. There is a correlation here, which notes that a larger volume of swelling is more indicative to the amount of damage suffered to the medial structures.

The reason an MRI is so important here is to look at the surfaces of the patellofemoral joint and to determine the location/level of any soft tissue damage to the all the medial stabilizing structures that we mentioned above.

The other scary part here is that some fractures in these injuries are missed by plain X-rays alone, then identified with MRI or surgery, up to 30-40%. A CT scan can be helpful here if a diagnosis of fracture is questionable.

After diagnosis and assessment of damage comes the biggest question.

Does the level of damage warrant more immediate intervention or is non-op treatment acceptable in the short-term?

Again, everything comes down to how the medial supporting structures look and is there any articular cartilage damage that would be made worse by playing on it. These patients are always assumed to have that cartilage damage until ruled out due to the violent nature of the injury.

If non-operative and no associated damage, I have seen athletes play quickly here, although for first-time dislocations, we typically err on the side of caution just to make sure. Chronic dislocators will note “popping it back in” and returning to next play or series. That’s not the case here.

Rehab here consists of much swelling control and early protected motion. Getting the larger quad musculature back in a timely fashion is key to a quick recovery. I have seen many cases where rehab was attempted here initially and given the questionable stability at the knee, it didn’t work.

Positional and sport demands have to be taken into consideration as well as—this is Mahomes’ right leg and will be in a plant/post position during his throwing motion and dropback.

The bottom line

If there is a need to have reconstructive surgery to address either articular cartilage defects or the medial supportive structures, that would likely end Mahomes’ season due to the recovery timeline.

Even if Mahomes can play with this injury now and recover quickly in a matter of weeks, the possibility exists for surgical intervention after the season is over to address the issue long-term, as the factors for a chronic dislocator aren’t great for a professional football player.

In short, the chances are greater than not that Mahomes will need to have this issue surgically addressed at some point in the future to ensure more long-term success.

7 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

Mahomes will be back and outplay Rodgers in 10 days. Shock the world on a Sunday Night game.

Please NOOOOO!
That isn't even enough time for his ankle to heal. His ass should sit until the bye, imo. Mahomes is a freaking warrior, and warriors will play on one leg if they could. The Chiefs need to take charge of this situation and protect the franchise and do what's best.

If Mahomes is out for a long time, we would be lucky to reach 8-8 if we have the week 1-6 defense. Matt Moore isn’t leading quick scoring drives and playing shootout football. The team will only win if the defense plays and carries the team like they did Alex Smith’s first year.

Trying to throw out some positive spin here....

Perhaps with Mahomes out it forces the rest of the team to stop waiting around for him to do brilliant Mahomes like things and play with more urgency, intensity and focus. Especially the defense. If they can just be decent I think we will be okay.

1 hour ago, Burpo The Mad Clown said:

If Pat is out for a long time, you go with Matt. You simplify the playbook, emphasize the run, play good defense and play to win every game.

It's simple.

Matt Moore isn't terrible.  He's entirely average, which is fine for a backup QB.  9-7 might win the AFC West, that's doable with Moore.  

1 minute ago, Calichief said:

I liked him in his first go around with GB. He has some great games!

he was surrounded by crap in his other stops. He can win.

I'm curious how he will look after a long week being the number one in practice, especially with Andy working with him.

He may surprise us.