Will Mahomes Injury make us better?

Definitely. You could see the fire we've been missing for two years. Haven't seen this good of a defensive performance since the Alex Smith years. Even if we split the next 4 the team will gain confidence that they can win without Mahomes. Quite honestly , that was the most fun I've had watching football all year. Something clicked with this team hope they can consistently especially at Arrowhead! Man, when was the last time we'd seen a shutdown defensive performance at Arrowhead. Time to bring back the magic, folks.

This looks to be a good reaction to the Mahomes injury.  There can be a lot said when the bar is set low, like it was for our Defense thus far.  Now the bar is set much higher. We need the Defense to step it up for the Chiefs to win. If we learn to win without Mahomes playing,  imagine how good they could be when they put him back in the lineup.  When he does return, however, they may need to be careful about reverting, but I like the possibilities.   Should help this team play much more disciplined football.

6 hours ago, sith13 said:

Other players could step up with Mahomes available as well. I think lack of Mahomes could only make the coaches better as they need to actually come up with a good strategy for every game and adjust it accordingly if we are to win games. 

Coaching was phenomenal in Denver as Andy finally started realizing we couldn’t run full throttle offense with gimpy MVP and awful LT.  He also had to help defense. We are going to need some type of similar ball control offense to have any realistic chance against Rodgers who was flat brilliant yesterday. 
Problem is putting QB3 acquired a week before the season started while coaching high school football vs MVP level guy in his prime almost never works out. Chiefs went from 5 point favorites to 3 point dogs.

3 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Coaching was phenomenal in Denver as Andy finally started realizing we couldn’t run full throttle offense with gimpy MVP and awful LT.  He also had to help defense. We are going to need some type of similar ball control offense to have any realistic chance against Rodgers who was flat brilliant yesterday. 
Problem is putting QB3 acquired a week before the season started while coaching high school football vs MVP level guy in his prime almost never works out. Chiefs went from 5 point favorites to 3 point dogs.

The 8 point shift might even be generous in today's NFL. Moore looked very out of shape but a whole week and a half as "the man" might make things very different but Mahomes was the reason we were considered winners regardless of our shortcomings. 

28 minutes ago, sith13 said:

The 8 point shift might even be generous in today's NFL. Moore looked very out of shape but a whole week and a half as "the man" might make things very different but Mahomes was the reason we were considered winners regardless of our shortcomings. 

Heck Andy’s been great at winning with backup QBs his entire career in this type of spot. But normally that’s been with highly paid veteran backups or early draft pick types. I’d feel pretty confident Henne could get us through had been healthy all year. Moore is really gonna be a challenge. Should show people the huge value of a quality backup on a playoff contender.  

7 hours ago, sith13 said:

Are we looking around for backups in the market or is it Shurmur's job right now? 

Henne is eligible to come back next week but sounds a few weeks away. Lets face it, its going to be hard enough to beat high quality playoff opponents the next two weeks with QB3, if it gets beyond that, forget it. That said its not unlikely that we could have Mahomes and Henne both available by Tennessee. And as such right now no reason to make any big move. In the end Shurmer probably gets released and put back on the PS. 

These aren’t do or die games.  If Shurmur had to come in then we would just dumb down the game plan and get through it.  We aren’t expected to win so there is no need to trade anything for a washed up or no good two-three week rental.   Never know with Andy Reid either, kid might look just fine with Andy’s ability to game plan.

7 minutes ago, Arrowhead78 said:

Watching a defense finally stifle an opponent after soooooo long was a boost. Even if Denver is putrid it gives an heir of confidence to all.

Agree. At the very least we got to see where Spags is trying to get this defense. Lots of pressure on the QB and gang tackling in the running game. I’m afraid however Rodgers will really expose our linebackers in particular in coverage.  

23 hours ago, DefensiveMan said:

Definitely. You could see the fire we've been missing for two years. Haven't seen this good of a defensive performance since the Alex Smith years. Even if we split the next 4 the team will gain confidence that they can win without Mahomes. Quite honestly , that was the most fun I've had watching football all year. Something clicked with this team hope they can consistently especially at Arrowhead! Man, when was the last time we'd seen a shutdown defensive performance at Arrowhead. Time to bring back the magic, folks.

100%. 

I think it will help the Chiefs, also.  Not only does it help the defense psychologically to be the bulwark, but it forces the Chiefs to do something they haven't done all year, to a degree that has perplexed and worried me, especially after those two home games.  They are going to have to run the ball.  They should have been running it more with Mahomes at the helm.  When Hill was out, you could see the problems cause by Mahomes continuing to force the passing game.  You have to keep defenses honest or they will have more guys to smother the receivers.  This team can run the ball if they decide to and work on it all week.  They cannot rely on "Moore Magic" and leave him in 3rd and long situations, unprotected by Fisher with the human turnstile in his place.  It really is time for a little smashmouth. Darryl Williams is a very tough and bigger back.  They need to give him more carries and get him in a rhythm.  Once Mahomes is back, that new attitude and willingness to run more will carry over.  This has bothered me for weeks, long before the wayward patella.  Ball control with running will also keep our new found D fresh and energetic for the whole game.  With Mahomes recently, they were visibly gassed.

22 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Agree. At the very least we got to see where Spags is trying to get this defense. Lots of pressure on the QB and gang tackling in the running game. I’m afraid however Rodgers will really expose our linebackers in particular in coverage.  

No doubt. Have to prove it against a contender. But holy shit, wouldn't it be amazing to see a defense come out at home and just terrorize opponents? That's been missing forever. That's the magic I remember from Arrowhead in the days of DT and Neil as a kid. Offense is great to watch. But when your D can come out and demoralize a team along with 80000 rabid fans.... That's icing on the cake!

7 minutes ago, Arrowhead78 said:

No doubt. Have to prove it against a contender. But holy shit, wouldn't it be amazing to see a defense come out at home and just terrorize opponents? That's been missing forever. That's the magic I remember from Arrowhead in the days of DT and Neil as a kid. Offense is great to watch. But when your D can come out and demoralize a team along with 80000 rabid fans.... That's icing on the cake!

People don’t understand how big of an advantage Arrowhead is when the Chiefs actually have a defense to capitalize. With a bad defense home field advantage doesn’t exist. We need an attacking play making defense that can stop the run. And with our offense we’d never lose at home. 

14 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

People don’t understand how big of an advantage Arrowhead is when the Chiefs actually have a defense to capitalize. With a bad defense home field advantage doesn’t exist. We need an attacking play making defense that can stop the run. And with our offense we’d never lose at home. 

Yup, I've been saying this. Arrowhead Magic has always there for the taking. It's all about matching the intensity of the fanbase. If the defense did that every game...we'd be unbeatable. I don't really care who's playing QB. It could be Kyle Orton vs Rodgers. History has shown this.

2 hours ago, DefensiveMan said:

Yup, I've been saying this. Arrowhead Magic has always there for the taking. It's all about matching the intensity of the fanbase. If the defense did that every game...we'd be unbeatable. I don't really care who's playing QB. It could be Kyle Orton vs Rodgers. History has shown this.

That hasn't proven true in the past when the playoffs come.  To get to the SB, you have to be either very lucky or have a great QB.  A merely good QB and a savage defense wins a lot of games, but not the playoff games against great opponents unless the opponents make a bunch of mistakes.  That's the whole reason we got Reid, Mahomes, Hill, Kelce, etc.