Will Mahomes Injury make us better?

On 10/21/2019 at 8:32 PM, Fmbl2187 said:

I think it will help the Chiefs, also.  Not only does it help the defense psychologically to be the bulwark, but it forces the Chiefs to do something they haven't done all year, to a degree that has perplexed and worried me, especially after those two home games.  They are going to have to run the ball.  They should have been running it more with Mahomes at the helm.  When Hill was out, you could see the problems cause by Mahomes continuing to force the passing game.  You have to keep defenses honest or they will have more guys to smother the receivers.  This team can run the ball if they decide to and work on it all week.  They cannot rely on "Moore Magic" and leave him in 3rd and long situations, unprotected by Fisher with the human turnstile in his place.  It really is time for a little smashmouth. Darryl Williams is a very tough and bigger back.  They need to give him more carries and get him in a rhythm.  Once Mahomes is back, that new attitude and willingness to run more will carry over.  This has bothered me for weeks, long before the wayward patella.  Ball control with running will also keep our new found D fresh and energetic for the whole game.  With Mahomes recently, they were visibly gassed.

I’d rephrase. Who was forcing the passing game? Is pat calling the plays now?

12 hours ago, Calichief said:

I’d rephrase. Who was forcing the passing game? Is pat calling the plays now?

I think he has a lot of leeway to decide in RPO.  There are so many RPO's, that Mahomes has great control.  Since he loves to pass and is great at it, this ends up with an imbalance of passing plays and too few running plays. I suspect this is the problem and why the running game cannot get any rhythm or traction.

7 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I think he has a lot of leeway to decide in RPO.  There are so many RPO's, that Mahomes has great control.  Since he loves to pass and is great at it, this ends up with an imbalance of passing plays and too few running plays. I suspect this is the problem and why the running game cannot get any rhythm or traction.

I’ll disagree 

22 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

and...

1. It’s Andy’s offense

2. If they were “forcing” the pass, they wouldn’t be calling the rpo’s.. it would be a designed play 

3. In a presser with Pat and Andy earlier this year , in regards to the rpo- Andy said Pat had missed maybe 2 rpo’s the whole time up to that point

4. If the run was that important to them, they would have designed more run plays which everyone on earth knew needed to happen. (They fixed it last week finally)

5. If Pat had that much control over the plays, then he would be handling the 4 minute offense and we wouldn’t  have the shit show time management by the sideline. (I’ve suggested Pat should be running the 4 minute offense a la Manning)

6. Andy lives to pass, if anyone’s forcing the pass, it’s the coach.

7. Pat has 1 int.  (that shouldn’t have Even happened) Think that’s an indication Pat isn’t forcing anything....

Can't argue with Mahome's calls based on what the defense shows, but I still have a feelng that those "shows" are designed to deceive, because that's what teams should do.  So if few runs are called, it is hard to get any rhythm in the running game or get a runner going.  Basically, the Chiefs need to run enough to have the run be a real threat, or even Mahome's can be limited. A team has to be able to run to increase time of possession and wear out defenses. When you end up with half the time of possession as a team that should otherwise not be able to beat you, then a change in strategy is called for, right? With Moore in, I think we will see that attempted this week.

18 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Can't argue with Mahome's calls based on what the defense shows, but I still have a feelng that those "shows" are designed to deceive, because that's what teams should do.  So if few runs are called, it is hard to get any rhythm in the running game or get a runner going.  Basically, the Chiefs need to run enough to have the run be a real threat, or even Mahome's can be limited. A team has to be able to run to increase time of possession and wear out defenses. When you end up with half the time of possession as a team that should otherwise not be able to beat you, then a change in strategy is called for, right? With Moore in, I think we will see that attempted this week.

I have no argument with that. I’ve been at the top of the mountain yelling run the ball.

what you say is true in this regard.

the issue is the rpo. defenses are catching up on how to defend or make the offense go the direction they want. they need to get heavy old school formations with a full back two TE etc. and play action off that and mix in rpo now u will start forcing defenses to guess. the other thing i see is how defenses are defending us. they are playing man because they know it’s the only chance.they mix in the odd zone.