Patriots exploit Loophole in Rules during MNF Game

KC Warpaint

With the Patriots leading 33-0 in the fourth quarter on Monday night, they took a delay of game penalty with their punt team on the field. After the Jets declined the penalty, the clock started again, and the Patriots’ punt team waited until they were about to get another delay of game, then false started. The Jets declined the false start penalty, too, the clock started again, and then the Patriots finally punted.

When the Patriots’ third-down play ended, 11:05 remained in the fourth quarter. By the time the Patriots actually punted on fourth down, 9:43 remained. The whole point of the play clock is that teams can’t take more than 40 seconds between plays, but the Patriots, thanks to that running clock after their penalties, took 1 minute, 22 seconds.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick was shown on television smirking on the sideline after that series of penalties, and he acknowledged after the game that the penalties allowed him to take plenty of extra time off the clock. He added that league rules probably shouldn’t allow that.

“No, it was just the way the rules are set up. We were able to run quite a bit of time off the clock without really having to do anything. That’s probably a loophole that will be closed and probably should be closed but right now it’s open,” Belichick said.

The Patriots were so far ahead in the fourth quarter that it really didn’t matter, but Belichick is right that this loophole should be closed. Teams shouldn’t be able to take more than 40 seconds off the clock between plays. Perhaps this is a rule Belichick wants to see changed, and he was waiting until just the right time to demonstrate that it needs to change.

On 10/22/2019 at 10:26 AM, oldtimer said:

and just another reason why they win.. they know loopholes  in the rules just like weakness in other teams.. they exploit what is available better than anyone else

The maneuver he pulled a few years back where the Ravens had no idea what WRs were eligible and who wasn’t....was a stroke of genius.  Three straight first downs later Harbaugh called timeout and then threw a fit after the game about BBS clear intent to confuse the Ravens. Duh

6 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Right. But why aren’t other people Learning to exploit things? That’s my point. 

I think it has something to do with class and sportsmanship. Yes he wins but I have yet to run across too many people who respect him and or like him. Then again I don't live in Mass either.

27 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

I think it has something to do with class and sportsmanship. Yes he wins but I have yet to run across too many people who respect him and or like him. Then again I don't live in Mass either.

Let me be clear- I’m not talking about the dirty stuff, cheating etc. 

I’m talking in game things. Strictly.

9 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Let me be clear- I’m not talking about the dirty stuff, cheating etc. 

I’m talking in game things. Strictly.

It goes hand and hand. It's hard to see one when you know about the other.

You know there are those who despise Hill due to the offseason accusations  and will never look at him without thinking did he or didn't he.

7 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

It goes hand and hand. It's hard to see one when you know about the other.

You know there are those who despise Hill due to the offseason accusations  and will never look at him without thinking did he or didn't he.

If it was our coach he would be a genius too..

16 hours ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

He's the best coach in NFL history. I respect that a lot and think most other people do as well. By that same token we know they push and pass the boundaries of the rules of the sport and as such most people can't stand them because at one point or another we have all been beaten by it.  I'll put it this way. I really like Andy Reid. He's one of the best coaches of this era and an absolute innovator with offenses and ghost whisperer for QBs. Its part of why I think we have some legit chance against Rodgers on Sunday with a 3rd string QB who was coaching high school football two months ago. That said if BB was our HC. You could pencil us in for 3-4 Super Bowl titles the next decade with a healthy Mahomes. BB is that much better than anyone else. 

On 10/22/2019 at 5:14 PM, Calichief said:

Other coaches  should have learned by now. I have no sympathy.

our own coach could learn a few things 

On 10/23/2019 at 7:40 PM, Calichief said:

Right. But why aren’t other people Learning to exploit things? That’s my point. 

Agreed 100%

This has always frustrated me about the rest of the NFL. 

He hasn't been outcoached a lot but it's happened a few times. The Ravens, Rex Ryan, and even Andy Reid has got him a few times, but Belichick has  mostly won. Tom Coughlin seems to have his number in big games. In his own words Mike Shanahan gave him problems also.

I think if you want to give the Patriots credit for finding some magic loophole, then you also have to point out that they were incredibly stupid to exploit it at the end of a game where they were leading 33-0.  Now, coaches that may not have been aware of the rule will have had a chance to think about how to handle it on the other side. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 8:06 AM, reesebobby said:

I think if you want to give the Patriots credit for finding some magic loophole, then you also have to point out that they were incredibly stupid to exploit it at the end of a game where they were leading 33-0.  Now, coaches that may not have been aware of the rule will have had a chance to think about how to handle it on the other side. 

I was going to say he should’ve saved it for when he really needed the clock to run down. It would probably have to be done outside of the last two minutes. But then the article goes on to say that maybe he wanted the loophole closed... why? Because he thinks the advantage is too little but someone might do it against him? Or why?

• 1 month later...

On 11/16/2019 at 10:26 PM, Lamardirts said:

Not sure how this would help you considering it took the opposing team to decline the penalty.  Accept the penalty and there is not exploitation.  Some of y'all are making it sound like this strategy would work in a meaningful game.   

As you saw last night outside of 5 minutes the clock keeps ticking. You can eat a minute or two without putting the ball in play.