Mahomes practices today, not ruled out for Sunday

#Chiefs coach Andy Reid said Patrick Mahomes will practice today, but Matt Moore will make the “majority” of the team reps. But when asked, Reid once again didn’t rule out Mahomes for Sunday. Also Chris Jones, Sammy Watkins and Eric Fisher all are practicing. Frank Clark, who's been dealing with a neck issue since training camp did not along with Fuller, Wylie and Lee.

4 minutes ago, dhitter said:

I would be stunned if Mahomes saw the field in any capacity against the Packers. 

Agree. I think he will be inactive. But might have to move the timeline for a comeback to Minnesota instead of Tennessee. Because of the quick actions of our medical staff, this injury just isn't that serious. There's no way Mahomes is doing anything that doctors have not cleared him for already. 

31 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

JMO

If he's 100%-90% play him, I doubt he is.

If he's 80%-70% dress him and use him as the back up, only play him if needed.

If he's  < 70% put him on the sidelines and let him coach up Moore.

IMO, he's been less than 90% since he injured his ankle. I'd rest him this week mainly for his ankle.

Well I'm sure Pat is walking and moving just fine by now and the biggest risk is the tendons have not fully healed and as a result his knee cap has a higher chance of popping out again and causing more damage.

If this is the case there has to be some kind of brace that would make it physically impossible for his knee cap tp pop out, right?  What about those heavy duty OL braces?  Yes he wont be able to run as well but takes the risk of his knee cap reinjuring out 

10 minutes ago, Balto said:

Well I'm sure Pat is walking and moving just fine by now and the biggest risk is the tendons have not fully healed and as a result his knee cap has a higher chance of popping out again and causing more damage.

If this is the case there has to be some kind of brace that would make it physically impossible for his knee cap tp pop out, right?  What about those heavy duty OL braces?  Yes he wont be able to run as well but takes the risk of his knee cap reinjuring out 

The quadriceps and patellar tendon aren't the issues with the concern of dislocating again, it's MPFL is more of the concern. Yes there are braces to stabilize the kneecap.

40 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Agree. I think he will be inactive. But might have to move the timeline for a comeback to Minnesota instead of Tennessee. Because of the quick actions of our medical staff, this injury just isn't that serious. There's no way Mahomes is doing anything that doctors have not cleared him for already. 

You pegged the Titans game as the week for Mahomes and I agree with this. Mahomes is rehabbing like a maniac to get back out there. Young dudes in great shape heal pretty fast. That's 24 days from injury to playing. Sounds more than plausible.

5 minutes ago, dhitter said:

You pegged the Titans game as the week for Mahomes and I agree with this. Mahomes is rehabbing like a maniac to get back out there. Young dudes in great shape heal pretty fast. That's 24 days from injury to playing. Sounds more than plausible.

My gut tells me he's back for the Vikings game.  I think he's very close to playing this week.  Moreover, if it were solely up to Mahomes, I believe he would be playing this week.  Hopefully Reid and the trainers are cautious enough to pull the reins back and give him another week to heal is ankle and knee.  2-1/2 weeks off since the injury would likely do wonders for both.  Then again, if he's good, the trainers sign off and Reid runs him out there, I look forward to a shootout with two of the greatest QB's in the league and would be hoping for no additional injuries.

Kansas City Chiefs star quarterback Patrick Mahomes will be back at practice Wednesday to participate in individual drills and throw the ball, head coach Andy Reid told reporters, including The Athletic's Nate Taylor.

While Reid said Monday that it would be "a stretch" for Mahomes to play in Week 8 against the Green Bay Packers, he didn't rule out the reigning NFL MVP on Wednesday, according to Chiefs reporter BJ Kissel.

It was originally reported that Mahomes, who dislocated his kneecap in Week 7, would be out for three weeks. Reid added that the quarterback's rehab has been progressing well ahead of the Sunday night matchup with Green Bay.

"He's been full steam ahead and that's how he does everything," the coach said.

Backup quarterback Matt Moore, who stepped in and guided the Chiefs to a win last Thursday after Mahomes left the game, will take the majority of first-team reps this week, according to Reid. For his part, Moore said he hasn't been told whether he'll start against the Packers.

Just days ago we all would have been happy with him missing 4 games.  The fact he might not miss any is crazy but sit him this week and eye the Vikings or a titans as a realistic return game.  I think he sits this game and I think he should.  It’s mor than just a kneecap issue.  Get healthy!  This is two games vs the NFC and we have a 2 game lead over our division.