Strength of Schedule

I'm not sure how much ( SOS) strength of  matters, and it's something I've been looking at. The Chiefs, Texans, Packers, and Saints are the only teams with winning records that have faced only two teams this season under .500 

The Saints impress me the most because they've done it the majority of the season without Drew Brees, although I do think Bridgwater is better than most backups. 

The Pats and Niners have faced the most teams under .500 but they have beat the winning-record teams when they played them. 

If the Patriots or 49ers win the SB I will not longer worry about SOS, but i'm following it this year and wondering how much it affects a teams confidence and if it matters. 

1 minute ago, qnet said:

I'm not sure how much ( SOS) strength of  matters, and it's something I've been looking at. The Chiefs, Texans, Packers, and Saints are the only teams with winning records that have faced only two teams this season under .500 

The Saints impress me the most because they've done it the majority of the season without Drew Brees, although I do think Bridgwater is better than most backups. 

The Pats and Niners have faced the most teams under .500 but they have beat the winning-record teams when they played them. 

If the Patriots or 49ers win the SB I will not longer worry about SOS, but i'm following it this year and wondering how much it affects a teams confidence and if it matters. 

The Saints have a very good TEAM.

Not just a few good players..

5 minutes ago, qnet said:

SOS definitely matters. We are about to play our fifth straight home game against a team in the playoffs. And we’ve struggled. 4-0 on the road against four non playoff teams. 

2 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

SOS definitely matters. We are about to play our fifth straight home game against a team in the playoffs. And we’ve struggled. 4-0 on the road against four non playoff teams. 

Yes the Chiefs have struggled, but they haven't been dominated other than the Colts game, and that was sort of a revenge game for them. 

I'm trying to be objective about this, but still want to find some hope. Before Mahomes got hurt, early in the Broncos game it looked like the Chiefs had figured out what hurt them in the previous three games (two they lost). 

Mahomes was 10 of 11, getting the ball out quickly with short passes, and Reid was mixing in running plays. The defense after the Broncos first drive limited the penalties, and shut the Broncos down.

This may be a moot point but I think Mahomes & Reid had figured out whatever teams were doing and getting Hill back didn't hurt. 

i think this Chiefs team may be better than a lot of us think, but with the injuries not sure how far they will go.  

1 minute ago, qnet said:

Yes the Chiefs have struggled, but they haven't been dominated other than the Colts game, and that was sort of a revenge game for them. 

I'm trying to be objective about this, but still want to find some hope. Before Mahomes got hurt, early in the Broncos game it looked like the Chiefs had figured out what hurt them in the previous three games (two they lost). 

Mahomes was 10 of 11, getting the ball out quickly with short passes, and Reid was mixing in running plays. The defense after the Broncos first drive limited the penalties, and shut the Broncos down.

This may be a moot point but I think Mahomes & Reid had figured out whatever teams were doing and getting Hill back didn't hurt. 

i think this Chiefs team may be better than a lot of us think, but with the injuries not sure how far they will go.  

There’s injuries at the wrong positions that can derail any team. And against playoff level teams we’ve seen that happen to us.  Get those crucial guys back and I’d play any of those again and feel pretty good. 

4 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

There’s injuries at the wrong positions that can derail any team. And against playoff level teams we’ve seen that happen to us.  Get those crucial guys back and I’d play any of those again and feel pretty good. 

Agreed. I just hope Reid stays with what he was doing when Mahomes and the others get back.The high-flying offense is fun to watch, but I don't think the Chiefs have the defense to do that right now, and still dominate. 

The defense is getting better, but I'm wondering if the slightly more ball-control offense that the Chiefs have been forced into is helping that some. 

A lot bring up how the Chiefs offense is so explosive, but they forget the Alex Smith led Chiefs. That offense was a more typical WCO with short passes and running the ball. The Chiefs were in some grind it out,  tough games back then, and the defense was solid. It wasn't until the playoffs were we got burned, and the wheels fell off Sutton's defenses. 

1 hour ago, qnet said:

Good post, Q. Will be interesting as this plays out when the Pats & 9ers play somebody.

10 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

One thin rarely mentioned when talking about SOS, that is injuries. Teams who play weak ass teams tend to stay healthier than teams that have to play tougher teams do. It's the nature of the beast. 

Patriots start their fun stretch of games. Physical games, teams coming off Byes. 

9 hours ago, azchief21 said:

Good post, Q. Will be interesting as this plays out when the Pats & 9ers play somebody.

Good teams beat the teams in front of them. Chiefs would be in a good spot has they been prepared to play Indy. They were not. Houston is a talented team. Indy, had no business beating kc.

4 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Good teams beat the teams in front of them. Chiefs would be in a good spot has they been prepared to play Indy. They were not. Houston is a talented team. Indy, had no business beating kc.

People have said this about our game against Indy, yet Indy then went and beat Houston too. 

2 hours ago, Calichief said:

We played right into their game plan. 

If we played Indi like we did the last two games on defense we would have demolished them. Rogers just went into HOF mode against us - nothing you can do about that. Keep up the aggressive attack mode mentality and we'll be fine moving forward. 

2 hours ago, DefensiveMan said:

If we played Indi like we did the last two games on defense we would have demolished them. Rogers just went into HOF mode against us - nothing you can do about that. Keep up the aggressive attack mode mentality and we'll be fine moving forward. 

Agreed, it took some time to figure things out it seems. It's better to figure it out now IMO and take the L's. 

Mahomes coming back, along with some other key players, and the Chiefs could be poised for a nice run, including the postseason. 

1 hour ago, qnet said:

Agreed, it took some time to figure things out it seems. It's better to figure it out now IMO and take the L's. 

Mahomes coming back, along with some other key players, and the Chiefs could be poised for a nice run, including the postseason. 

I'm fine with giving up 60 yard TD's once in a while. Get a quick turnaround and the ball right back to Mahomes. Father Time Sutton's bend but don't break defense did nothing for our offense. Clock kept chewing up, D getting gassed, while Mahomes and company sitting on the bench cold and out of rhythm. We needed this change so we'll see if it pays dividends down the line like you said.