The way I see our season is:

• Mahomes slightly hobbled:  4-0
  • Mahomes more hobbled or out:  2-3 but competitive against some pretty good teams

I don't think we should be SB favorites or anything, and Mahomes' injury has probably cost us the #1 seed.  But, if we get healthy and the D keeps improving we're going to be in the mix, right where we want to be.

Discuss.

4 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

The way I see our season is:

• Mahomes slightly hobbled:  4-0
  • Mahomes more hobbled or out:  2-3 but competitive against some pretty good teams

I don't think we should be SB favorites or anything, and Mahomes injury has probably cost us the #1 seed.  But, if we get healthy and the D keeps improving we're going to be in the mix, right where we want to be.

Discuss.

It's been a tough year.  Always seem to be missing such key players.  Watkins, Hill, Jones, Clark, Fuller, Mahomes, half the offensive line.I think we are still likely a 1 or 2 seed assuming we get healthy.  And I think we are pretty dangerous in a 2 game playoff for a Super Bowl berth.  I would not want to play against a completely healthy Chiefs team in the playoffs.

The Ravens schedule gets pretty ugly for a while now with games against the 49ers, Texans, Rams and Bills.  And I think the Pats could lose a few more.  Their schedule has been criminal.  Really the credibility of the league is questionable when that division sucks so bad for so long. 

The defense has played against 6 of the top 12 offenses and really been near middle of the pack.  And they seem to be getting better.  I'm really starting to be impressed with Spags, and I did not expect to be.  The mindset of the defense has changed.  We no longer just lay there making victim noises while people rape us. 

Overall it seems like we are still a year away because of the injuries, but I am excited to see how it plays out.  I never feel out of it if Mahomes is healthy along with Hill, Watkins and Kelce. 

46 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Mahomes' injury has probably cost us the #1 seed.

Seeing that Mahomes played in two of the three losses I don't think HIS injury cost the #1 seed. I believe it's a combination of having a tough ass schedule, multiple key injuries on both side of the ball and taking a long time for the D to jell that MAY have lost the #1 seed.

3 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Seeing that Mahomes played in two of the three losses I don't think HIS injury cost the #1 seed.

I should have said injuries, plural.  I believe that if Mahomes' doesn't aggravate the ankle we win one or both of the Colts and Texans games.

If the Chiefs get healthy and the defense continues to improve, it won't matter what their playoff seeding is, nobody will want to play them.

It's just such a relief to see the defense getting better.  I just can't get over how well the entire DL is playing along with Fenton and Ward in the secondary.  Even Breeland is playing well. 

I know the LBs have their problems, but at least against the run they are starting to plug holes and make tackles.  I also noticed that when MIN leaked out a RB into the flat or lined up at WR, the Chiefs adjusted and put a CB or S on them and kept the LB inside.  Great adjustment.

1 minute ago, soonerborn77 said:

Mahomes, Hill and Watkins have all been on the same field for 1 quarter this year and we are still averaging over 28 points a game.....

that's insane.  also throw in getting Damien Williams back to full strength and the OL.  man, look out with the defense coming on.

6 hours ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Seeing that Mahomes played in two of the three losses I don't think HIS injury cost the #1 seed. I believe it's a combination of having a tough ass schedule, multiple key injuries on both side of the ball and taking a long time for the D to jell that MAY have lost the #1 seed.

I agree with that. It was expected that the D would take a little while. Hard to expect last weeks performance every week, but they will be much better than the first 6 games. We just need to go hand the Pats a loss and see what happens. I think we get a bye at least. Don’t care where we play NE at. Just want the bye to avoid injuries.

36 minutes ago, VIChiefsFan said:

The defense is making strides.  It has been much tougher against the run and the secondary is making plays.  Hopefully they come up with a better plan this week for covering running backs coming out of the back field. 

Definitely reason for optimism.

Yup Henry is a hoss. I can't stand the Titans we need to return the favor they've beaten us two in a row at Arrowhead. We need to stick it to them.

lots of optimism. the play calling on offense with heave set formations have helped. long drives that has allowed our d to rest. it’s interesting that the last 3games we have been about even or more with TOP. that’s the key for our d. 

kuddos to reid i just hope he calls the same type of plays and formations when mahomes returns. dink and dunk and protect the qb. run the ball. simple stuff that works for all 3 phases of the game plus reducing penalties. 

i’m bloody excited because this is a type of win where the team will rally and hopefully rip off a nice long win streak. 

l

10 hours ago, Holmes4six! said:

lots of optimism. the play calling on offense with heave set formations have helped. long drives that has allowed our d to rest. it’s interesting that the last 3games we have been about even or more with TOP. that’s the key for our d. 

kuddos to reid i just hope he calls the same type of plays and formations when mahomes returns. dink and dunk and protect the qb. run the ball. simple stuff that works for all 3 phases of the game plus reducing penalties. 

i’m bloody excited because this is a type of win where the team will rally and hopefully rip off a nice long win streak. 

l

Andy Reid's KC teams have had a "run" every year where they went undefeated or lost once. 2013: 9-0 2014: 7-1 2015: 11-0 2016: 8-1 2017: 5-0 2018: 9-1 Unless you think the 4-0 start to this season was Reid's best 2019 "run"...The Reidian Run has not yet begun. Run to the One.

6 minutes ago, DefensiveMan said:
Andy Reid's KC teams have had a "run" every year where they went undefeated or lost once. 2013: 9-0 2014: 7-1 2015: 11-0 2016: 8-1 2017: 5-0 2018: 9-1 Unless you think the 4-0 start to this season was Reid's best 2019 "run"...The Reidian Run has not yet begun. Run to the One.

By comparison all those schedules were a walk in the park. Especially 2013 was really pathetic. This is probably the biggest challenge in Reid's KC career so far. I think a 2-3 loss stretch this year is much better than a 1-loss stretch in previous years. 

11 minutes ago, DefensiveMan said:

This is ridiculous. Sky's still the limit for this team.

Yeah. And we have a defense that's playing fast an aggressive, and a DC who is actually making adjustments to address shortcomings and player strengths. Who also hasnt had everyone healthy yet this year.

Teams aint gonna wanna see us in the playoffs. Especially if Mahomes starts lighting up scoreboards and Spags can blitz at will.

36 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Yeah. And we have a defense that's playing fast an aggressive, and a DC who is actually making adjustments to address shortcomings and player strengths. Who also hasnt had everyone healthy yet this year.

Teams aint gonna wanna see us in the playoffs. Especially if Mahomes starts lighting up scoreboards and Spags can blitz at will.

It’s not like Spags is some kind of guru, he’s competent and is respected and smart enough to surround himself with quality people. It’s why we liked the hire. A few right moves in the offseason and our defense could legitimately be good in 2020. For now it’s about developing young players and trying to coach around a few big weaknesses. Something we simply couldn’t do under Sutton.  

11 hours ago, Holmes4six! said:

l

Hope the D stays this aggressive when Mahomes gets back.  Don't like the rush 4 and drop 7 into coverage vanilla look.

27 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Hope the D stays this aggressive when Mahomes gets back.  Don't like the rush 4 and drop 7 into coverage vanilla look.

Yes!

I like...LOVE the dink and donk offense too. I hope Reid sticks with it, and not revert back to the 7 step drops with all 3 WRs running 9 Routes.

I also hope the defense stays aggressive.

There is no doubt in my 48 yr old mind, that if Reid/Spags continues the same style of play when we're close to 100% healthy, NO ONE IS GOING TO BEAT the Chiefs!!

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

By comparison all those schedules were a walk in the park. Especially 2013 was really pathetic. This is probably the biggest challenge in Reid's KC career so far. I think a 2-3 loss stretch this year is much better than a 1-loss stretch in previous years. 

I agree that this has been a very tough 5 games and a competitive 2-3 with Moore is very respectable.  However, I cannot agree with your overall point.  There are no easy wins in football, and ultimately a 9-1, 9-0, or 11-0 stretch over a "soft" schedule is still much more impressive than a hard-fought 2-3 stretch against tough teams.  Now maybe, MAYBE we're building something that we weren't in those years, and this tough stretch will pay off down the road in a way that those winning streaks didn't.  Maybe.  But outside of that you can't say this is "better."