Did Chris Jones and Frank Clark disrupt our run defense chemistry?

5 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Combination of things. They played Joey Ivie instead of Mike Pennel and Khalen Saunders who played great recently, especially with Chris Jones at end. Frank Clark is not setting the edge and they are running at him

Exactly why was Ivie playing over Saunders? Why didn't we see more of Jones on the end since Ogbah went out? Spags was bad today.

13 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Combination of things. They played Joey Ivie instead of Mike Pennel and Khalen Saunders who played great recently, especially with Chris Jones at end. Frank Clark is not setting the edge and they are running at him

I'm anything but a Clark apologist, but how do you get that he wasn't setting the edge?  The Titans ran everything between the tackles, so there was literally no edge to set.  The lined up and hit our bad run defense right in the mouth at the shortest point of contact.  

1 minute ago, moons314 said:

I'm anything but a Clark apologist, but how do you get that he wasn't setting the edge?  The Titans ran everything between the tackles, so there was literally no edge to set.  The lined up and hit our bad run defense right in the mouth at the shortest point of contact.  

To me they ran to clark and jones side every time and clark was being pushed back off the line a couple yards every play leaving jones to cover a huge area. Thats how my eyes saw it

Just now, CranjisMcbasketball said:

To me they ran to clark and jones side every time and clark was being pushed back off the line a couple yards every play leaving jones to cover a huge area. Thats how my eyes saw it

It looked more to me like it was all right up the middle.  Setting the edge is about keeping the ballcarrier from getting outside, forcing them back in to the other defenders.  The linebackers and safeties in the middle were getting bulldozed all day. 

18 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Clark has a reason. He says he has a pinched nerve. I got a pinched nerve watching Titans running all over KC. Clark should stay off the field until he declares he is 100%. This way excuses are not in question. Clark: Please......Stay home until you are 100% capable of earning your 20 million per year contract. You suck at whatever health percentage you have played  with this , recently revealed, so called pre season injury. So get 100% because watching suck is not entertaining.

18 minutes ago, moons314 said:

It looked more to me like it was all right up the middle.  Setting the edge is about keeping the ballcarrier from getting outside, forcing them back in to the other defenders.  The linebackers and safeties in the middle were getting bulldozed all day. 

Agreed, im just saying that in the scenario where they would have tried to run outside clark would have been pushed back so far he wouldn’t have been able to do that. I think we are basically saying the same thing which is that everybody sucked and the titans probably could have ran the ball anywhere they wanted to

Nnadi and the other DTs got shoved around and the LBs have no instinct in the run game. Throw in Sorenson doing nothing and Thornhill wiffing and the inside was trash. And HB looks tiny out there. That guy isn’t a run stuffer. We need a mean and big ILB who can command the middle, a fat guy who doesn’t get shoved at DT, and a smashing safety. Too much finesse.

24 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Not playing Saunders was a huge mistake.

pennel inactive, terrible choice 

Well it is clear there is no reason to think this D will be effective. Mahomes and the offense will need to play almost perfect for KC to win. Same as last year. Its dissapointing as it appeared some strides had been made. It was a smoke screen. 

2 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Well it is clear there is no reason to think this D will be effective. Mahomes and the offense will need to play almost perfect for KC to win. Same as last year. Its dissapointing as it appeared some strides had been made. It was a smoke screen. 

Perfection today would have almost happened if Williams didn’t gift them a touch down. That is just how any mistake can sink the offense despite a great game.

7 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

Perfection today would have almost happened if Williams didn’t gift them a touch down. That is just how any mistake can sink the offense despite a great game.

Players fumble. Its part of the game. Williams had a very good game. Turnovers happen. The really good teams overcome them. Reid was way more responsible for this loss with his horrific clock management. 

1 minute ago, FANATIC said:

Players fumble. Its part of the game. Williams had a very good game. Turnovers happen. The really good teams overcome them. Reid was way more responsible for this loss with his horrific clock management. 

A fumble is one thing. A defensive touch down is a bit more damning. The more amazing thing is Mahomes not throwing picks. If he even threw a handful to this point, we’d probably have a losing record. We literally have to be perfect.

Just now, Thegoatee said:

A fumble is one thing. A defensive touch down is a bit more damning. The more amazing thing is Mahomes not throwing picks. If he even threw a handful to this point, we’d probably have a losing record. We literally have to be perfect.

Titans fumbled and KC only got 3 points. Lots of blame to go all around. This is one of the worst team efforts KC has done in awhile. 

The momentum swing from a fumble return TD is huge.  It is also like 4 games in a row that a RB has lost a fumble or at least 4 out of the last 5.  With as little as we run the ball that can be crippling.   We are gifting a team points when our game plan is for them to try and play catch up.   Can't happen, at least not a return for a TD.   I'm really embarrassed we lost to such an inept team.   Ryan Tannehill is the qb and Derrick Henry has averaged 3.5 yards a game up to this point.....he's probably avg over 5 with that 200 yard outburst.   Thegoatee is right....we have to be perfect on offense.   Lesean Mccoy has not been the answer we needed and I do now believe we inquired about L. Bell.    RB is a bigger need than we think.

MARVIN K MOONEY........WILL YOU PLEASE GO NOW.  Dr Seuss..........FANATIC TAKE: FRANK CLARK WILL YOU PLEASE GO HOME.

Chiefs DE Frank Clark admitted he's been playing through a pinched nerve all season.

Clark said the pinched nerve has been bothering him since training camp. Some of his symptoms include "burning sensations" in his arm and numbness in his fingers. Clark feels the ailment could be to blame for his poor performance this year (PFF's No. 50 4-3 defensive end among 57 positional qualifiers). "I've been playing kind of timid this whole season," Clark mused after Sunday's loss to Tennessee. "That's why I've been kind of slow." The 26-year-old finished among the league leaders with 14 sacks last season but has only been credited with four QB takedowns in 2019.

15 hours ago, Chiefswinitall said:

Last couple of weeks without those guys the Defense was pretty good.

No, the Chiefs deactivated Mike Pennel and didn't play Ragland very much at all.  They gave more snaps to Joey Ivie than Saunders and Nnadi.

For whatever reasons, Spags went with a lighter defensive front against the Titans and it was completely the wrong decision.