Espn article sums up a lot

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28053341/lessons-every-super-bowl-contender-2019-disaster-game

Kansas City Chiefs (6-4)

The disaster game: Losing 35-32 to the Titans on Sunday

While the Chiefs have four losses in their past six games, this was the first time they lost a game in which Patrick Mahomes went a full 60 minutes without clearly aggravating his ankle injury. He nearly had an ill-advised pass intercepted on the opening snap of the game, but the reigning MVP quickly settled down and finished 36-of-50 for 446 yards with three touchdowns and no picks. He certainly wasn't the issue.

Problem 1: The Chiefs still can't stop the run.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Kansas City came into Week 10 ranked 28th in rush defense DVOA. It won't be climbing the charts when those numbers get updated Tuesday. The combination of Derrick Henryand Ryan Tannehill ran the ball 26 times for 225 yards with nine first downs and two touchdowns. Tennessee didn't control the clock -- it held the ball for only just over 22 minutes -- because it was too effective running the ball to stay on the field for long.

The biggest play of the day, of course, was Henry's 68-yard touchdown run in the third quarter. There's no way it should have gone for 68 yards. The Chiefs had eight men in the box. This is the league's 23rd-ranked rushing offense by DVOA. It probably should have been a loss or a small gain at best.

Instead, when we look at NFL Next Gen Stats, the Chiefs lose their gap integrity. It looks like Reggie Ragland (59) overpursues what appears to be an outside zone play and ends up one gap over from where he's supposed to be. Alternatively, it could be that defensive tackle Joey Ivie (93) ends up getting blocked out of his gap. Either way, Henry has a huge cutback lane and turns upfield at the line of scrimmage. Rookie safety Juan Thornhill (22) is the last line of defense, but he whiffs badly on the tackle attempt and only momentarily slows Henry, who proceeds to outrun the Kansas City defense to the house.

Derrick Henry rushed for 188 yards and two touchdowns in the win over the Chiefs. AP Photo/James Kenney

Later in the fourth quarter, with Tannehill scrambling on third-and-10 and bracing for contact 5 yards short of the sticks while surrounded by four Chiefs players, he manages to drag Rashad Fenton several yards forward for a conversion. That drive ended with Henry plunging in the end zone from a yard out.

Tannehill would get Fenton for the winning touchdown, when the Titans ran four verticals and Adam Humphries saw the Chiefs were playing with two deep safeties. Humphries faked an out, juked Fenton to the point in which the young defensive back fell down and then brought in Tannehill's pass for the leading score. The former Dolphins starter finished the drive by running through Thornhill on a zone-read keeper for a 2-pointer.

Problem 2: The Chiefs beat themselves.

Even given their defensive woes, the Chiefs still should have won this game. They held a 98.2% win expectancy with the ball in their hands on the Titans' 24-yard line with 1:36 to go. By ESPN's model, the Titans had been favorites in-game for a grand total of only one play up to that point, back when they had a 13-10 lead in the second quarter.

A first down on a third-and-2 would have sealed things up for the Chiefs, while a field goal would have given them an eight-point lead and forced the Titans to drive the length of the field, score a touchdown, convert a 2-pointer and then win in overtime. The only thing they couldn't do was turn the ball over without converting or scoring. Instead, the Chiefs called a slow-developing downfield pass, and a scrambling Mahomes gave himself up to keep the clock running.

Patrick Mahomes threw for 446 yards and three touchdowns against the Titans, but the Chiefs' defense gave up 35 points in the loss. Brett Carlsen/Getty Images

On the ensuing field goal try, a bad snap led holder James Winchesterto throw the ball away, which ended the drive and resulted in an intentional grounding call. After the Titans scored to take the lead, Mahomes completed two passes to set up a 52-yard field goal try, only for the Titans to block Harrison Butker's would-be tying kick and seal a Titans win.

Butker also missed an extra point in the third quarter. I wouldn't count on Kansas City's special teams playing the team out of close games on a regular basis, given that Dave Toub is regarded as one of the best special-teams coaches in football. The Chiefs also ranked ninth in special-teams DVOA heading into the week, so this hasn't been a consistent problem for them.

What is a concern, though, is the other way the Chiefs cost themselves the game. They benched Shady McCoy after a Week 8 fumble before naming him as a healthy scratch on Sunday, claiming that they needed to rest the 31-year-old. (McCoy played just 36% of Kansas City's snaps before the benching.) Damien Williams regained the starting job at McCoy's expense, but he fumbled on a second-quarter run against the Titans, with Rashaan Evans recovering and taking the ball to the house for a 53-yard score.

The Chiefs have now fumbled 17 times this season, the third-highest total in the league. They fumbled 18 times in 16 games last season. Fumbles won't always result in touchdowns, but the Chiefs need to do a better job of protecting the football. A less self-destructive team would have beaten the Titans on Sunday.

2 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Grasshopper there are no answers. Sometimes you win sometimes you lose.

It wasn't just that we lost...its how we lost. 98% or better chance of winning and then it was bad play on top of bad play and suddenly you are looking around and mumbling "WTF happened?"

1 minute ago, Calichief said:

Problem 3

andy going Andy and the worst times 

Sometimes you gotta take a step back and ask is this team disciplined enough to make a SB run. The silly early penalties were indicative of worse things to come...it's like a Snowball effect with Reid. You'll know immediately as a Chiefs fan we've seen it before. 

I don't know how these win probabilities are calculated, but we have lost more than our fair share after being in the high 90s over the last few years . The last three times we choked to Tennessee we were 95.7, 97.6, and 98.2% win probabilities at some point in those games. If i remember my first year statistics, it is about a 1 in 56,000 chance that we could lose all three. That is some bad luck and/or some bad decisions to let that happen.

10 minutes ago, VIChiefsFan said:

I don't know how these win probabilities are calculated, but we have lost more than our fair share after being in the high 90s over the last few years . The last three times we choked to Tennessee we were 95.7, 97.6, and 98.2% win probabilities at some point in those games. If i remember my first year statistics, it is about a 1 in 56,000 chance that we could lose all three. That is some bad luck and/or some bad decisions to let that happen.

That's why you ignore that shit. This is a game played on the field and that damn ball isn't round.

9 hours ago, West said:

we beat ourselves.....It was ugly

We did NOT beat ourselves.   They beat us.   Saying you beat yourself is for pussies and you know that.  They beat us.  Simple as that.   This kind of stuff happens all the time.  That's why we follow football.   If we won every game every week  we wouldn't follow it.   That is why it is called football.    

8 minutes ago, wilkie said:

We did NOT beat ourselves.   They beat us.   Saying you beat yourself is for pussies and you know that.  They beat us.  Simple as that.   This kind of stuff happens all the time.  That's why we follow football.   If we won every game every week  we wouldn't follow it.   That is why it is called football.    

Agree to disagree on this topic, Wilkie.  They won, but what the Chiefs did yesterday was the very definition of beating one's self.  Stupid penalties early, dropped passes (several critical) that would have continued drives (I'm not talking about contested balls here - I'm talking balls in the hands of NFL receivers), dropped INT by Clark (right in his hands), missed PAT, botched snap on game sealing FG attempt, clown-like gap assignments blown on several runs - including the long TD by Henry.  Getting beat looks a lot different than yesterday's game.  

3 minutes ago, TomahawkChop said:

Agree to disagree on this topic, Wilkie.  They won, but what the Chiefs did yesterday was the very definition of beating one's self.  Stupid penalties early, dropped passes (several critical) that would have continued drives (I'm not talking about contested balls here - I'm talking balls in the hands of NFL receivers), dropped INT by Clark (right in his hands), missed PAT, botched snap on game sealing FG attempt, clown-like gap assignments blown on several runs - including the long TD by Henry.  Getting beat looks a lot different than yesterday's game.  

I have to disagree also.  This one was a complete clown show.   it was like three hours of guys popping their palms on their foreheads.  Hard to explain.  Reid is hard to rile, and he looked riled. Stupid football.  Stupid plays.  Stupid decisions.  Stupid hands.  Stupid snaps.  Each one, by itself, was just part of football.  But they were all lined up in a row in a continuous game of slapstick comedy.  This season has also been  an injury show like none I have ever seen.