Kc vs La Chargers

defense until that last offensive drive, had only given up 49 yards in the 2nd half. We were way behind in all stats the first half like yards, top etc but ahead on the scoreboard. The defense tightened up when they needed to do so the first half. The 2nd half score should not have been if HB intercepts that gift of an int, which would have made 5 ints for the game too. When our offense had a terrible game, the defense did the job it needed to do. Even if Rivers was bad, the defense still had to make plays too.

5 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

defense until that last offensive drive, had only given up 49 yards in the 2nd half. We were way behind in all stats the first half like yards, top etc but ahead on the scoreboard. The defense tightened up when they needed to do so the first half. The 2nd half score should not have been if HB intercepts that gift of an int, which would have made 5 ints for the game too. When our offense had a terrible game, the defense did the job it needed to do. Even if Rivers was bad, the defense still had to make plays too.

We have a nice little tandem at CB with Ward and Fenton. Fenton has really been a pleasant surprise. Hes more of a nickel type imo. But that kid can ball. Gotta get a couple stud LBs in the offseason. Easier said than done. But I have hope for this unit.

2 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

We have a nice little tandem at CB with Ward and Fenton. Fenton has really been a pleasant surprise. Hes more of a nickel type imo. But that kid can ball. Gotta get a couple stud LBs in the offseason. Easier said than done. But I have hope for this unit.

Lb and a stud LG would be sweet. I think we should look at Hunt too. Give him a deal like Hill got that covers the team. 

19 minutes ago, AppalachianChief said:

We need to have 2 game threads one for the Gloom and Doom guys “Fake Chief Fans” that bitch and moan about Andy, Offense, Defense, ST, commentators, refs, cheerleaders, camera guy you know who you are! Another thread for real Chiefs fans that watch and talk about the game being played rationally. Good idea?

I was bit ching about the grass so where do I fall.

I was resigned to the fact Rivers was going to take the Chargers down and score a TD, go for the 2 pt conversion and Chiefs walk off with yet another crushing loss. I told my sons, "this is what's gong to happen in the 4th". It played out almost exactly like that except for Rivers tossing that INT in the end zone (thank God).

I wad doubly certain Chiefs were gonna blow it when Williams came down with that huge long pass and the clock stopped. Should have kept going and a huge chunk of the time would have been gone by the time they got up to snap the ball. I thought wouldn't it be fitting for Chiefs to get screwed by the time clock and then lose it because of that? I would have been so pissed at that point. Thankfully my dog was spared getting kicked.

Just now, dhitter said:

I was resigned to the fact Rivers was going to take the Chargers down and score a TD, go for the 2 pt conversion and Chiefs walk off with yet another crushing loss. I told my sons, "this is what's gong to happen in the 4th". It played out almost exactly like that except for Rivers tossing that TD in the end zone (thank God).

I wad doubly certain Chiefs were gonna blow it when Williams came down with that huge long pass and the clock stopped. Should have kept going and a huge chunk of the time would have been gone by the time they got up to snap the ball. I thought wouldn't it be fitting for Chiefs to get screwed by the time clock and then lose it because of that? I would have been so pissed at that point. Thankfully my dog was spared getting kicked.

Reid needs to stop with the new plays. I think he hears talking heads saying he is a a guru and has to keep coming up with crap. Less plays and better execution PLEASE

50 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

I could tell the line was gassed on that last drive.  Credit on the 50-yard pass, I guess, but other than that we played that drive decently.

I don't know what to think.  Glad to get the win and go into the bye week, I guess that's all that matters.

37 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Reid needs to stop with the new plays. I think he hears talking heads saying he is a a guru and has to keep coming up with crap. Less plays and better execution PLEASE

New plays?  We ran the same damn pass to the RB in the left flat like 4 straight times.  Regardless, less plays holds no relevance.  If you think shrinking the playbook is going to somehow make a not very good line suddenly better, I've got some oceanfront property to sell you out by the stadium.   It's not "new" plays that's the problem, it's the timing of certain plays, and shitty supporting personnel.  It's the exact same thing with the outcry to run more.  We don't have a line capable of blocking a power run game, and our backs are subpar.  We have 2 never were's and a has been at that position.  McCoy is still serviceable, but at 31 his best years are well behind him, and while showing flashes, he hasn't been impressive overall.  Reid isn't perfect, but calls for shrinking the playbook or running the power I with this team is a case of fans wanting to stick a square peg in a round hole.  This team isn't built that way, doesn't have the personnel, and it's not a viable long term solution. 

4 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

I could tell the line was gassed on that last drive.  Credit on the 50-yard pass, I guess, but other than that we played that drive decently.

I don't know what to think.  Glad to get the win and go into the bye week, I guess that's all that matters.

That 50 yard pass sure looked to me like an offensive push off in the back of the corner to get separation.  I get that they want to let the players play, and rightfully so, but the receiver gained a clear advantage on that play.  That's why I wasn't overly pissed at the defense for giving up that huge play.

4 minutes ago, ChiefThunder said:

Having Hill leave the game clearly show's we need a threat at the RB position. Teams make defensive adjustments accordingly, and our WR's can't get open. On top of that, Reid's playcalling becomes too predictable...even his screen pass calls. 

Yup , ie first half of AFCCG vs NE. Took us a whole half to make adjustments to get others involved.

Possibly the most fun I had in recent years was watching the I formation leading to the TD with Sherman up front. That's how you win real games in the NFL.

I don't see us going very far with this approach though, hopefully it was an altitude thing that the idiots in the front office couldn't adjust while Chargers were practicing in Colorado. 

9 hours ago, FANATIC said:

Personally disagree. I think much like they did to the Packers, Ingram and Bosa were destroying our oline and wrecking the initial game plan. Andy went to short stuff to protect Mahomes and exhausted defense. 

9 hours ago, dhitter said:

I was resigned to the fact Rivers was going to take the Chargers down and score a TD, go for the 2 pt conversion and Chiefs walk off with yet another crushing loss. I told my sons, "this is what's gong to happen in the 4th". It played out almost exactly like that except for Rivers tossing that INT in the end zone (thank God).

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/1196649496970747910

I know I've been super hard on the Chiefs in some of these bad losses and brought up firing Andy Reid if the disappointments continue, but I've never understood the mindset that if the Chiefs don't win by at least 3 scores I'm not happy.

Try to remember a few things about the game last night:  Division opponent, road game in Mexico City at high altitude and on a bad field.  Also, the Chargers aren't trash, especially on defense.  They completely shut down the Packers a few weeks ago and have been a nuisance to most offenses they face.  Bosa and Ingram are no joke.

Last night was ugly, but we needed a win like that where defense makes the game winning play on a night our offense doesn't "have it". 

I have no worries about the offense other than play calling on crucial downs or in the red zone.  Other than a few ill timed screens, I was fine with what Reid had last night.

Defensively, we should be getting Okafor and K. Fuller back after the bye and the offense has 2 weeks to work on a few things to get better as well.

I get the frustration with playcalling at times but sometimes I think fans try to have it both ways.  We want Reid to stop being cute and establish the run and bleed the clock when we have a lead, but then when he tries to bleed the clock and it doesn't work we say he's "turtling."  Don't get me wrong---I get it, you want him to mix it up and establish early and then be willing to be aggressive late, but still.  Reid has certainly made mistakes, but at some point players have to make plays.  Shady would have had a first down on the one play, maybe two of them, if the blocking had been just a bit better or if Patrick delivers a better ball.  And on the other side of the ball how much does the game change if Honey Badger pulls that INT down?

1 minute ago, Adamixoye said:

I get the frustration with playcalling at times but sometimes I think fans try to have it both ways.  We want Reid to stop being cute and establish the run and bleed the clock when we have a lead, but then when he tries to bleed the clock and it doesn't work we say he's "turtling."  Don't get me wrong---I get it, you want him to mix it up and establish early and then be willing to be aggressive late, but still.  Reid has certainly made mistakes, but at some point players have to make plays.  Shady would have had a first down on the one play, maybe two of them, if the blocking had been just a bit better or if Patrick delivers a better ball.  And on the other side of the ball how much does the game change if Honey Badger pulls that INT down?

That's the play that I wish would've happened the most.  If HB just pulls down that pick, we probably ride the momentum to another TD and go up 31-9 and the whole narrative changes.

2 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Well Reid has to make it work, that's his job. We never managed to establish the run hence the mix & match didn't work on offense. 11 weeks into the season and we still don't have a decent running game in the books. They rarely brought pressure but still it was effective as they only needed to focus on coverage. 

Keep in mind that McCoy's fumble could have hurt us big as well if we lost it. Too many IFs to actually take them seriously IMO. This is NFL and players always miss plays that could change the outcome. 

2 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Well Reid has to make it work, that's his job.

Never understood this line of thinking.  Again, I'm not saying he can't improve but at some point there is only so much a HC can do.  As pointed out in another thread we haven't lost by more than 7 since mid-2017.  That's impressive on Reid's part, that's where a lot of his good coaching comes in, to make this team prepared and competitive week in and week out.  Yes, he has significant weaknesses elsewhere.  I just didn't have that much of a problem with the playcalling last night.

8 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Never understood this line of thinking.  Again, I'm not saying he can't improve but at some point there is only so much a HC can do.  As pointed out in another thread we haven't lost by more than 7 since mid-2017.  That's impressive on Reid's part, that's where a lot of his good coaching comes in, to make this team prepared and competitive week in and week out.  Yes, he has significant weaknesses elsewhere.  I just didn't have that much of a problem with the playcalling last night.

This is the year we were supposed to win the SB with Mahomes' rookie deal in the books and we invested on both sides of the ball accordingly. However we have way too many problems that have been lingering for long. Reid always puts up a competitive team but he needs to take the next step. If something isn't working on the field the HC should adjust but we seem to stick with the gameplan from beginning to end. That killed us last week and we won this week so it's always a roller coaster until Reid can take more action during the game.