Offensive Balance

I’ve been talking about balance all year. Some interesting stats to support my argument-

As it stands, the 4 best teams (arguably) are also currently the best rushing teams in the league -

49ers, Ravens,Minnesota ,Seahawks, (Patriots are in top 10) And in the playoffs, everything starts with the run.

Only 4 teams have less rushing attempts than the Chiefs-

Arguably the 4 worst teams in the league-

Bengals, Redskins, Dolphins, Falcons

Chiefs were predictable when it mattered most Sunday. 

We are passing at a 2-1 clip right now

Balance is necessary 

Our offensive lineman can’t make a living running the rock. Our best skill players are pass catchers. The best player on out team is a gun slinger with a rocket arm. 

I think we would drop from 4.3 ypc to about 2.3 if we tried to pound it. We get 4.3 because people are playing the pass IMO.

5 hours ago, sith13 said:

Reid was ignoring the run even when he had Smith at QB with Charles in his prime at RB. Charles basically became a 4th quarter guy while leading the NFL in YPC. I don't think that changes at any time but definitely should. 

It’s why we started that year 0-5 I believe.  Once he started running the ball and play auctioning off that we started winning.  

6 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

It’s why we started that year 0-5 I believe.  Once he started running the ball and play auctioning off that we started winning.  

Yep, we abandoned the pointless "pass first run later" approach and went on the win streak. To be correct it was 1-5, we had one win earlier. 

6 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

The only hope that this ever changes is if Bienemy takes over play calling.   

Coming from the RB group I expected that to be the case. That being said our RBs aren't as good as they were before so I'm not sure if the OC position (assuming he's really doing it) is leaving Bienemy enough time to work with the RBs. 

I know the Tennessee game was disappointing, but we had 530 yards and 32 points. Could have been more. I just don’t think sweeping changes to the offensive strategy is what we need. 

Even if successful (which it would not be) changing to a more run heavy offense would reduce scoring in order to increase our TOP. We dominated the TOP and snap count. Defense is where we need improvement. And Oline. 

We he zero chance in the playoffs playing ball control. Pat is our ticket to the show. Protect him and let him throw it all over the yard. We won’t get past the 1st round doing anything else. It’s who we are.

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

A great example of how pathetic half of our offense was. 70 yards? What a joke. I thought it was a bit higher though, while still being pathetic. 

Imagine if we got a full game like the first half. We have seen this before like the 2nd quarter against Oakland as an example. Offense is great but it really needs to sustain it for a full game. Not a quarter here or a half there. 

To me it’s not about how much we run vs how much we  pass or controlling TOP or how many yards we gain in the run game, it’s situational.  

At the end of a game can you run the ball just well enough to milk the clock  to put a team away.   Can you pick up a 3rd n short to extend a drive.  Inside the 5 can you get in.     If Pat is having an off day which will happen from time to time can you you run the ball to help get the offense back in sync.   

12 hours ago, Calichief said:

I’ve been talking about balance all year. Some interesting stats to support my argument-

As it stands, the 4 best teams (arguably) are also currently the best rushing teams in the league -

49ers, Ravens,Minnesota ,Seahawks, (Patriots are in top 10) And in the playoffs, everything starts with the run.

Balance is necessary 

I wouldn't call them the 4 best teams in the NFL

12 hours ago, Calichief said:

Balance is necessary 

Don't most of those teams also have a top tier defense? I would think that has something to do with it. If KC had a defense in the top half of the league what do you suppose our record would be? I get a kick at how bad our defense has been for years...especially against the run, and people keep finding ways to blame our top level offense for the problem.

I do blame Reid for having a poorly disciplined team. Penalties and ball security...those are on the coaching.

2 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Don't most of those teams also have a top tier defense? I would think that has something to do with it. If KC had a defense in the top half of the league what do you suppose our record would be? I get a kick at how bad our defense has been for years...especially against the run, and people keep finding ways to blame our top level offense for the problem.

Having a good run game helps out the defense by simply taking out the need for depth. That's all Seattle has been doing this year. Overall this might be the worst defensive team they had in quite a while but doesn't show up to be so in the stats. 

Unfortunately we don't have a top level offense, if we did it would help out the defense a lot. We are the best team in one aspect while being one of the worst in the other. There's ability to score with Mahomes in town but as seen a few times we don't have the means to do what's necessary on offense from time to time. A top level offense wouldn't give up the game in our situation late in the 4th. 

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

Having a good run game helps out the defense by simply taking out the need for depth. That's all Seattle has been doing this year. Overall this might be the worst defensive team they had in quite a while but doesn't show up to be so in the stats. 

Unfortunately we don't have a top level offense, if we did it would help out the defense a lot. We are the best team in one aspect while being one of the worst in the other. There's ability to score with Mahomes in town but as seen a few times we don't have the means to do what's necessary on offense from time to time. A top level offense wouldn't give up the game in our situation late in the 4th. 

We had the 3rd highest producing offense in league history last year. This is basically the same offense with Mecole Hardman added. The one difference has been the injuries. Name a single game where we had all our pieces in place. Fisher coming back will be huge but I think we saw last week what a healthy Mahomes is capable of...Penalties cost us a TD, we had a missed xtra point and 2 botched field goals. This is a top tier offense when healthy. The defense is not. If you look a the All 22 film from this past game you will see a lot of undisciplined players not maintaining gap integrity, poor tackling. If they want to not get gassed so bad here is a suggestion. Get off the field on 3rd and long instead of letting a journeyman QB run and truck you for a 1st down.

47 minutes ago, dhitter said:

We had the 3rd highest producing offense in the league last year. This is basically the same offense with Mecole Hardman added. The one difference has been the injuries. Name a single game where we had all our pieces in place. Fisher coming back will be huge but I think we saw last week what a healthy Mahomes is capable of...Penalties cost us a TD, we had a missed xtra point and 2 botched field goals. This is a top tier offense when healthy. The defense is not. If you look a the All 22 film from this past game you will see a lot of undisciplined players not maintaining gap integrity, poor tackling. If they want to not get gassed so bad here is a suggestion. Get off the field on 3rd and long instead of letting a journeyman QB run and truck you for a 1st down.

I 100% agree sir!

The defensive problems seem to revolve around coaching.  (Or lack thereof..)

How do you look solid for 3 wks and then come out against a team you should beat, and look like ASS???

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

It’s not a question of whether we want to run the ball. It’s a question of whether we can run the ball.

Its both.  Years past under their have been  been better lines n better backs but he has never really committed to running the ball over the long haul.  

Compare that to someone like BB whom since Brady took over has been only outside the top 15 in rushing attempts 3 times and only been in the 20s in attempts twice. Most years it was top 12 or better.   Even in the famed 2007 season they were top 10 in attempts which goes to show you that you can still be an explosive offense while at the same time maintaining a running game.   Pats haven’t always had the best of lines but BB still maintained that attitude that at least attempting to run has its usefulness.   

Rushing can breed an attitude of toughness that these guys lack and online men will tell you they would much rather run block than pass block as they can fire off an hit someone.  

I get it though.  Pat is just so good and can make plays that nobody else can it would be hard not to put it into his hands every down.    Don’t want Reid gone either as this is who he is and he ain’t changing.  but developing a running game would make this offense so much better.  

5 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

Its both.  Years past under their have been  been better lines n better backs but he has never really committed to running the ball over the long haul.  

Compare that to someone like BB whom since Brady took over has been only outside the top 15 in rushing attempts 3 times and only been in the 20s in attempts twice. Most years it was top 12 or better.   Even in the famed 2007 season they were top 10 in attempts which goes to show you that you can still be an explosive offense while at the same time maintaining a running game.   Pats haven’t always had the best of lines but BB still maintained that attitude that at least attempting to run has its usefulness.   

Rushing can breed an attitude of toughness that these guys lack and online men will tell you they would much rather run block than pass block as they can fire off an hit someone.  

I get it though.  Pat is just so good and can make plays that nobody else can it would be hard not to put it into his hands every down.    Don’t want Reid gone either as this is who he is and he ain’t changing.  but developing a running game would make this offense so much better.  

As a great man once said: "You are what you emphasize."

Reid has never been a "run first" guy. And like you said, he aint changing.