Clark supports adding more games to NFL Season

11 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

The fan in me would love as many games as possible. The season flies by and it seems forever after the season is over and training camp begins. That having been said....I like the current schedule and setup. Football is a physically demanding sport. Injuries are gonna happen and players get worn down. Don't tinker with it if it ain't broke.

1 hour ago, dhitter said:

The fan in me would love as many games as possible. The season flies by and it seems forever after the season is over and training camp begins. That having been said....I like the current schedule and setup. Football is a physically demanding sport. Injuries are gonna happen and players get worn down. Don't tinker with it if it ain't broke.

Counterpoint would be anything that reduces the number of meaningless preseason games season ticket holders have to pay full price for is a good thing. IE..I think that's VERY broken. 

12 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Counterpoint would be anything that reduces the number of meaningless preseason games season ticket holders have to pay full price for is a good thing. IE..I think that's VERY broken. 

Agree to a point. Preseason games used to provide game conditions against an actual NFL opponent in order to get some rhythm down, get in game shape and to evaluate rookie and lower end roster talent. This past preseason it became the norm to not play starters. Suddenly the fear of injury became so great a lot of teams opted out. To me the games don't count but they are far from meaningless. A lot of skill players that did not play in preseason got off to really slow starts  once the regular season rolled around. Cause and effect? Debatable. As far as the ticket prices...I wouldn't know personally, I can't afford to be a season ticket holder.🤥

9 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Agree to a point. Preseason games used to provide game conditions against an actual NFL opponent in order to get some rhythm down, get in game shape and to evaluate rookie and lower end roster talent. This past preseason it became the norm to not play starters. Suddenly the fear of injury became so great a lot of teams opted out. To me the games don't count but they are far from meaningless. A lot of skill players that did not play in preseason got off to really slow starts  once the regular season rolled around. Cause and effect? Debatable. As far as the ticket prices...I wouldn't know personally, I can't afford to be a season ticket holder.🤥

they could just hold joint practices and scrimmages, like when KC and Minnesota would when we were a part of the cheese league

17 minutes ago, dhitter said:

You are correct that the bottom of the roster gets the most out of it. At least if they make the team. But lets face it, there aren't more than 7-10 spots even open going into training camp and starters play so little and there's so little tackling that it doesn't help almost anything. Its sloppy football largely played by backups who would rarely ever play together or non NFL caliber players and the price to attend is exactly the same as a regular season game. I think nearly any veteran would tell you playing 4 preseason games simply isn't necessary. And to convert one of those into a meaningful game makes total sense to me. Owners will never give the game day money away unless they get it back somewhere else. Almost nobody wants these games though and everyone from players to coaches to owners know it. One regular season game added could mean subracting two preseason games. This is an absolute no brainer to me when combined with getting rid of the completely pointless inactive list. 

Preseason games are utterly pointless.  You are correct that because of money they don't want to give up games, and season ticket holders get screwed on preseason games.  That said, I can't see the league trading 2 preseason games for 1 regular season game.  That's taking the entire package down and subtracting from the bottom line.  I mean imagine how much money is pulled in from 20,000 cars paying $40 just to park?  I could see it if it were 2 games for 2 preseason games and the regular season expanded to 18, but the players association won't go for that, which I find irritating.  Yes, extra games are extra hits on the body, but at some point you have to accept the fact that 80% of these guys are making more money in a year than most of the population makes in a lifetime.  

Clark said they had discussed 17 games and making everyone play an international game.  That is stupid.  Super greed has created an environment where teams are expected to give up home games to travel stupid distances and play on non nfl fields just to try to continue to squeeze every last nickel out of the human race,  despite the obvious security risks, player risks and disadvantages of having to play a physically taxing game across too many timezones.  It's just stupid.  

If I understood correctly 17th game is to be played abroad so no home or away games will be disrupted. I don't really care about losing some preseason games, they are way too boring since starters don't even play most of the time but it also hurts the team as they don't get in shape by week one. Personally I don't mind about the final decision but I definitely hate playing any games on London terms as they start way too early. 

It seems what I've read is that no matter what Owners don't wanna have less than 20 total games(4 PS, 16 RS).  They also know Regular season games are worth much more than Pre season games.  Here is what I've come up with....

2-Pre Season games

17-Regular Season Games

Total of 19 games....BUT I just said the owners will not go below a total of 20 games!!!!!  Keep reading

I also propose we had a extra week of playoffs and two more Wild Card teams per Conference.  This would add 4 more teams to the playoffs and give EACH division winner at least 1 week off as a reward.

Example:

Lets use AFC...

1st week of playoffs will be the 4 wild card teams....This give all 4 division winners a bye week to start.  THEN the following week will look exactly like it does now with #4 and #3 playing the two wild card winners and #1 /#2 get another bye week.

This would:

Owners:  Give owners more Regular season games and an extra week of high revenue of Playoff games to make up for only having a 19 game season(2 PS + 17 RS).  TV deals is were the money is and this format would make the NFL more than the way it is now.

Players:  They don't want more regular season games BUT this format would mean only 19 total games vs 20 PLUS the odds of making and playing in the playoffs(not only to win the Super Bowl but a lot of players have bonus's built into contracts for making the playoffs).  

The Season would not need to be extended to add an extra week of playoffs because of taking away two PS games.  I think Fans would get behind this because everyone loves the Playoffs and a under dog)which having two extra Wild card teams would add that).

Thoughts?

41 minutes ago, Balto said:

It seems what I've read is that no matter what Owners don't wanna have less than 20 total games(4 PS, 16 RS).  They also know Regular season games are worth much more than Pre season games.  Here is what I've come up with....

2-Pre Season games

17-Regular Season Games

Total of 19 games....BUT I just said the owners will not go below a total of 20 games!!!!!  Keep reading

I also propose we had a extra week of playoffs and two more Wild Card teams per Conference.  This would add 4 more teams to the playoffs and give EACH division winner at least 1 week off as a reward.

Example:

Lets use AFC...

1st week of playoffs will be the 4 wild card teams....This give all 4 division winners a bye week to start.  THEN the following week will look exactly like it does now with #4 and #3 playing the two wild card winners and #1 /#2 get another bye week.

This would:

Owners:  Give owners more Regular season games and an extra week of high revenue of Playoff games to make up for only having a 19 game season(2 PS + 17 RS).  TV deals is were the money is and this format would make the NFL more than the way it is now.

Players:  They don't want more regular season games BUT this format would mean only 19 total games vs 20 PLUS the odds of making and playing in the playoffs(not only to win the Super Bowl but a lot of players have bonus's built into contracts for making the playoffs).  

The Season would not need to be extended to add an extra week of playoffs because of taking away two PS games.  I think Fans would get behind this because everyone loves the Playoffs and a under dog)which having two extra Wild card teams would add that).

Thoughts?

I think the number of playoff teams relative to the total number of teams is perfect in the NFL. Adding wild card teams would take away from the competitiveness at the end of the year where teams are laying it all out to get those 2 spots.

4 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I think the number of playoff teams relative to the total number of teams is perfect in the NFL. Adding wild card teams would take away from the competitiveness at the end of the year where teams are laying it all out to get those 2 spots.

Actually I think it would add more competitiveness!  So many times a team is out of the race come the last few weeks and don't give it their all.  This would make it so the "ODDS" become greater and make ever week important.

On 11/15/2019 at 12:46 PM, Balto said:

Actually I think it would add more competitiveness!  So many times a team is out of the race come the last few weeks and don't give it their all.  This would make it so the "ODDS" become greater and make ever week important.

What about the teams that have their playoff spot locked up and sit their starters?  Then fans are getting screwed at the end of the season paying full price for what amounts to a preseason game full of backups.  I'd support eliminating wild cards and only division winners making the playoffs before I'd consider adding more wild cards. 

9 minutes ago, moons314 said:

What about the teams that have their playoff spot locked up and sit their starters?  Then fans are getting screwed at the end of the season paying full price for what amounts to a preseason game full of backups.  I'd support eliminating wild cards and only division winners making the playoffs before I'd consider adding more wild cards. 

With the new format teams would be fighting for bye weeks.  Would come in need after 17 regular season games.

would also take care of the weak divisions were a 7 win division winner gets into the playoffs while a 10 or 11 game winning team misses out because of a strong division.

On 11/15/2019 at 12:39 PM, Iluvhouse24 said:

Adding teams to the postseason would make the regular season as irrelevant as the NBA or NHL. And that is completely contrary to the NFLs big game philosophy which sets it apart from any other sport.  I don’t love adding another game because of that. But if it means two fewer preseason games I’m all in. Plus if they want to play neutral site games they no longer have to steal it from home teams. 

Fuck it, leave it alone. Extra games only adds to more chances for injuries. As it is now the starters play 16 regular season games and maybe 1 total preseason game. If you add games now your starters play an extra game to a game and half. What happens when you play more? Add chances for injuries and the players will want more. When they get paid more where does the money come from? The fans. 

1 hour ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Fuck it, leave it alone. Extra games only adds to more chances for injuries. As it is now the starters play 16 regular season games and maybe 1 total preseason game. If you add games now your starters play an extra game to a game and half. What happens when you play more? Add chances for injuries and the players will want more. When they get paid more where does the money come from? The fans. 

The scenario most talked about would take away a full priced preseason game off the plate of season ticket holders. Eliminate the injury risk of two preseason games. Add an extra bye week to get players healthier and contribute to better football. And get rid of the pointless inactive list. 
You likely permanently add the early game to Sunday morning which they can market and sell separately.  And teams would no longer be asked to give up any home games for international games. 
Players aren’t gonna love the extra game. But this seems to me like everyone ultimately gains. 

If the NFL went with my idea and season ended today the Colts and Steelers would be added to the AFC playoff side.  Rams and Eagles on NFC side.  All those teams are good enough to bring competition to the overall playoff picture.

Don't stick season ticket holders with the preseason games.    

Don't add an extra game because the current format is nearly perfect.    

Have the six teams in each conference with the best records compete in the playoffs even if it excludes a division winner. 2008 AFC and 2010 NFC come to mind.    

Get rid of the stupid international games.    

1 hour ago, FurpJ said:

Don't stick season ticket holders with the preseason games.    

Don't add an extra game because the current format is nearly perfect.    

Have the six teams in each conference with the best records compete in the playoffs even if it excludes a division winner. 2008 AFC and 2010 NFC come to mind.    

Get rid of the stupid international games.    

This is a business and the International games expand fan base and revenues. IE. They are being expanded in every sport, not retracted. Same reason they won’t drop preseason games without adding revenue stream to offset that. 

I’m all for seeding based on record. But to exclude a division winner from the playoffs makes having divisions pointless. And that’s bad for the game. 

8 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

This is a business and the International games expand fan base and revenues. IE. They are being expanded in every sport, not retracted. Same reason they won’t drop preseason games without adding revenue stream to offset that. 

I’m all for seeding based on record. But to exclude a division winner from the playoffs makes having divisions pointless. And that’s bad for the game. 

I’d be fine with seeding based on record but I agree, division winners get a auto entry.  If the NFL stops the two games a year vs division teams then I might be ok with not guaranteed entry.

9 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

I think it'll be very different with more international games. As they become more common the fan base will not get the same experience and loss of revenue here is way too critical to risk for the NFL.