Raiders vs. Chiefs

10 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I suppose it depends on your definition of grinding.  We lost to the Rams last year and lost the TOP battle.  They had 76 yards rushing and 54 points on 448 yards passing.  Is that grinding us out?  The Chargers beat us and also beat us in TOP with 119 yards rushing and 407 yards of total offense. 

The Ravens on the other hand last year rushed 40 times for 194 yards, almost 5 yards a carry  and we held the ball 6 minutes longer than they did while rushing for 94 yards ourselves. 

Grind it out defintely wouldn't be the right term to describe some of our opponents. But I think its the only way a team like the Colts or Raiders can beat us minus turnovers. That's been my point all along. TOP itself doesn't really mean that much to some teams. But others gotta have it or they are likely gonna lose. 

2 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Grind it out defintely wouldn't be the right term to describe some of our opponents. But I think its the only way a team like the Colts or Raiders can beat us minus turnovers. That's been my point all along. TOP itself doesn't really mean that much to some teams. But others gotta have it or they are likely gonna lose. 

I think that's probably true.  But most teams try that and most teams have failed.  The teams we have struggled with have mostly beat us in shootouts. 

47 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

But even if that's true, the Raiders' strategy should not be to chase TOP.  It should be to play their game and do it successfully.  That's my point.

I completely agree that a game plan that revolves around winning the TOP would be horribly flawed. Wasting time doesn't win games. But for the Raiders to be successful against a team like the Chiefs, the TOP advantage is almost an essential bi product of the overall game plan with the type of talent they have. I think maybe I've insinuated that winning TOP should be part of the game plan. If so that is flat wrong. 

Just now, Mloe68 said:

I completely agree that a game plan that revolves around winning the TOP would be horribly flawed. Wasting time doesn't win games. But for the Raiders to be successful against a team like the Chiefs, the TOP advantage is almost an essential bi product of the overall game plan with the type of talent they have. I think maybe I've insinuated that winning TOP should be part of the game plan. If so that is flat wrong. 

When you phrase it like this I think we essentially agree.  IS THIS REALLY THE INTERNET?

this is great conversation about TOP. 

The only way to make it work is getting first downs...with that being said, it doesn't help when Reid calls 3 pass plays just after our d has been on the field for an opponents long drive. That's the my point. I want Reid to run the ball and dink and dunk, especially after a long drive by the other team. It does so much for all three phases. And if the ball is coming out quick it should minimize penalties. I don't think its all about TOP, its about when and how you can control the ball in order to score, protect defense and flip the field. 

It is a very good conversation. I don’t want the D to go right back on the field after one 89 yard pass to Hill. But I still want the points. I don’t want to punt because we a screwing around trying to pound the ball when we don’t have the line to do it. 

Watching Rogers Monday night scramble around running for his life trying make a play while Jimmy G stood there and looked around reminded me a lot of what Pat has to do. GB has a good RB but they aren’t much better than us in total rushing yards.

We need some studs inside and then I am on the pound it bandwagon. Right now I am on the run for your life and try get the jumping/sidearm/left handed pass off before you get demolished bandwagon.

33 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

this is great conversation about TOP. 

The only way to make it work is getting first downs...with that being said, it doesn't help when Reid calls 3 pass plays just after our d has been on the field for an opponents long drive. That's the my point. I want Reid to run the ball and dink and dunk, especially after a long drive by the other team. It does so much for all three phases. And if the ball is coming out quick it should minimize penalties. I don't think its all about TOP, its about when and how you can control the ball in order to score, protect defense and flip the field. 

I'm not sure it matters if he calls three pass plays or three run plays.  The rest time for the defense depends on getting first downs.  Last year we were 3rd in the league in first downs per game.  This year we are 8th even with Mahomes missing a lot of time.

15 minutes ago, DieHard said:

It is a very good conversation. I don’t want the D to go right back on the field after one 89 yard pass to Hill. But I still want the points. I don’t want to punt because we a screwing around trying to pound the ball when we don’t have the line to do it. 

Watching Rogers Monday night scramble around running for his life trying make a play while Jimmy G stood there and looked around reminded me a lot of what Pat has to do. GB has a good RB but they aren’t much better than us in total rushing yards.

We need some studs inside and then I am on the pound it bandwagon. Right now I am on the run for your life and try get the jumping/sidearm/left handed pass off before you get demolished bandwagon.

I hope Brett Veach has learned the hard lesson of Aaron Rodgers has taught us that we need to prioritize a line that can protect our biggest asset and run block enough to close games out. We don't need the 2003 Chiefs oline, but what we have today isn't good enough. 

We all know Derek Carr has struggled at Arrowhead in the 5 trips he has gone there. I decided to go back and see exactly if he looked as bad as I remembered. Here are his QBRs in those games (2014-2018).

• 2014          64.7
  • 2053          77.1
  • 2016          49.1
  • 2017          60.1
  • 2018          60.8

In those games Carr has averaged 185.8 yards passing on 55% completion. He has a total of 3 TD passes in 5 games and 5 INT's. He has been sacked 17 times.

The one caveat to all this is the run game. Raiders haven"t had that bell cow young stud RB during those years. The key to this game is no surprise. Limit Josh Jacobs. If we can do to Jacobs what we did to Dalvin Cook then this game is in the bag because Carr cannot carry a team. Especially at Arrowhead. If Jacobs gashes us and goes off like Henry did in that Titans game? It will be a long day.

53 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

There is nothing scary about the Raiders. But I still say the game hinges on our LBs vs. RBs + TE. But that loss to the Jets is about as bad a loss as any team has had this year.

Until tonight. Rams lose by 39 at home and out of the playoffs as of tonight. . Ouch.

7 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Until tonight. Rams lose by 39 at home and out of the playoffs as of tonight. . Ouch.

Yeah....if you are getting absolutely destroyed at home this time of year then you are not the team you thought you were. 

Has there been a week this season when the Chiefs had FEWER guys listed as not practicing or limited practice?  Except for Damian, every looks good to go.  Of course, that doesn't tke into account the injured reserve list, but it's still welcome news.....except for Raider fans. 

On 11/26/2019 at 3:26 PM, dhitter said:

Yeah....if you are getting absolutely destroyed at home this time of year then you are not the team you thought you were. 

So paying a QB after 32 TD - 22 int/fumble season with a terrible postseason performance wasn't the right move? 

FROM A RAIDER FORUM

Abelardo said: 
Double cover Tyrek Hill for the entire game. Double cover Travis Kelce every offensive play. Put a permanent spy on Mahomes on every down. Finally, go and bet some money on the chiefs, so the loss don't hurt that much.
lol Yep. But give some help over the top on Watkins/Hardman/Robinson side too. Maybe 16 or 17 defenders should just about cover it?

On 11/24/2019 at 9:37 PM, dhitter said:

The league is so desperate for the Raiders to be relevant that they blow smoke up their ass any time they look competent. Then the Raiders turn around and totally drop a turd like they did today and it shuts them up for a while. I look forward to those people who were saying the Raiders were going to win the West....shutting up their stupid faces. Even so some will predict the Raiders will beat the Chiefs. Mark it down.

• Akbar Gbajabiamila
  • Writer | NFL.com
  •  
Raaaiders! Derek Carr earns first-career win over Patrick Mahomes

The Raiders were absolutely dismantled by the Jets last week, and I didn't love it. I have the Raiders going all the way to the Super Bowl, but they currently hold the seventh seed in the AFC playoff picture. The turnaround starts this weekend against a huge rival in Kansas City, even though the stats are against the Silver & Black. The Chiefs have won four straight games vs. the Raiders and nine of the last 10; in fact, they are 11-2 vs. Oakland in the Andy Reid era. Derek Carr has never beaten Patrick Mahomes .... until Sunday! Carr bounces back in a big way to lift the Raiders over the Chiefs, paving the way for a saucy division finish!