Hypothetically

I suppose this could go in the draft thingie, but I don't care.  I'm a rebel.

Given the teams current situation,  you could draft one of the following with the first pick.

1.  A guard that has a Will Shields career

2.  A middle linebacker that has a Ray Lewis career (minus the murders)

3.  A tight end that has a Tony Gonzales career.

4.  A running back that has an Emmitt Smith career

5.  A Mike Webster center.

6.  A Reggie White defensive lineman. 

7.  A Champ Bailey cornerback.

8.  A Ronnie Lott safety.

Who would you take?

2 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

In rough order:  OL (C or G, don't care), LB, CB, RB, DE, S, TE

I'm not talking necessarily about what you think our immediate needs are.  I'm asking if you could have a hall of fame type of player, what position other than quarterback would give you the best long term value. 

1 minute ago, reesebobby said:

I'm not talking necessarily about what you think our immediate needs are.  I'm asking if you could have a hall of fame type of player, what position other than quarterback would give you the best long term value. 

I was trying to be funny. To answer this question I would say Middle Linebacker.

4 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I'm not talking necessarily about what you think our immediate needs are.

I guess I thought that's what you meant by "given our team's current situation."  I see them as mostly the same...our situation is that we should maximize our short-term upside, though not at the risk of the long-term.

Just now, Adamixoye said:

I guess I thought that's what you meant by "given our team's current situation."  I see them as mostly the same...our situation is that we should maximize our short-term upside, though not at the risk of the long-term.

That's fair enough.  I guess I put position of need, but meant for long term.  I didn't put wide receiver or quarterback as choices. 

Based on our current team and scenario given, I'd lean towards a Ray Lewis type (preferably without murders). OL isn't ideal, but Pat is still able to get by with the group we have so middle tier replacements would do. Safety isn't a glaring weakness at the moment, DE like Reggie would be hard to pass up as he'd stop run and rush, and Kelce will last a few years. Currently our LB is a shit show and a Lewis type player would turn us around overnight I think.

2 hours ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Based on our current team and scenario given, I'd lean towards a Ray Lewis type (preferably without murders). OL isn't ideal, but Pat is still able to get by with the group we have so middle tier replacements would do. Safety isn't a glaring weakness at the moment, DE like Reggie would be hard to pass up as he'd stop run and rush, and Kelce will last a few years. Currently our LB is a shit show and a Lewis type player would turn us around overnight I think.

Yup. This.

A MLB that knows how to play. Hell, we could even get by with Damien Wilson and Reggie Ragland if we had a real MLB.

For this team at this time, certainly the linebacker.  That not to say the O-line isn't just as important or the needs aren't just as great there.  The thing is that O-line can be had on the second day without the drop off as at the skilled positions.  Second choice would be a CB, but this season, that position isn't hurting the defense to the same degree as the lack of defense up the middle.

Pretty easy for me....

First you said "first pick"..Do you mean the #1 pick in the draft or 1st pick in the draft, thus a late round 1st? 

Regardless I take Reggie White talent DL 

THEN trade Chris Jones for close to a Khalil Mack value....Raiders got 2-1st, 3rd and sixth for Mack+2nd+5th.  Give me a high 1st+2nd for Jones and call it a day.

Then I turn around and spend those two extra picks on OL/LB.

Come out of the draft with a future Hall of Famer Reggie White type DL on a cheap rookie contract, high first round OL or LB pick that's also cheap contract and then a couple of 2nd rounders that is made up or either BOTH OL if we took a LB in the 1st OR a OL/LB if we took a OL in the first.

See pretty easy

BPA, but I hope it’s Oline. We need help passing and running and that does both. A Ray Lewis career would be great but I am torn by how much the bad run D is LB v. D line.

I like our young talent on D line though. Saunders and Kpass look like they could be dominate. Jones already is, but can we pay Pat and Jones.

I want to send Tyreek’s crazy ex a fruit basket for helping us get him signed. That WR group looks thin next year. 

32 minutes ago, Balto said:

Pretty easy for me....

First you said "first pick"..Do you mean the #1 pick in the draft or 1st pick in the draft, thus a late round 1st? 

Regardless I take Reggie White talent DL 

THEN trade Chris Jones for close to a Khalil Mack value....Raiders got 2-1st, 3rd and sixth for Mack+2nd+5th.  Give me a high 1st+2nd for Jones and call it a day.

Then I turn around and spend those two extra picks on OL/LB.

Come out of the draft with a future Hall of Famer Reggie White type DL on a cheap rookie contract, high first round OL or LB pick that's also cheap contract and then a couple of 2nd rounders that is made up or either BOTH OL if we took a LB in the 1st OR a OL/LB if we took a OL in the first.

See pretty easy

It's not about this draft or Chris Jones.  The question is, what do you think is the most impactful position for a teams long term success other than quarterback.  A great middle linebacker like Lewis?  A great corner like Bailey?  The all time leading rusher?  A great lineman like Roaf or Shields?  Jerry Rice?  Tony Gonzales?

It's a passing league ya'll.  The correct answers are pass rusher and corner out of those options.  They're the hardest to find.  Now, if instead of Ray Lewis it was a Luke Kuechly type at MLB I'd put that right up there.  A MLB who can defend the pass that well is a hell of a matchup weapon.  After that, safety and the interior line positions listed.  Then the rest.  RB is dead last.  Wait, what's after dead last?  RB is that.

11 minutes ago, xen said:

It's a passing league ya'll.  The correct answers are pass rusher and corner out of those options.  They're the hardest to find.  Now, if instead of Ray Lewis it was a Luke Kuechly type at MLB I'd put that right up there.  A MLB who can defend the pass that well is a hell of a matchup weapon.  After that, safety and the interior line positions listed.  Then the rest.  RB is dead last.  Wait, what's after dead last?  RB is that.

I think RB changes this team the most at this moment. At the moment. Db’s are balling. Emmit smith or mike Webster, I’m taking emmit.

long term, I choose differently.

20 minutes ago, Calichief said:

I think RB changes this team the most at this moment. At the moment. Db’s are balling. Emmit smith or mike Webster, I’m taking emmit.

long term, I choose differently.

Oh I thought he said long term.  Immediately we need a MLB who can cover in the worst way, then offensive line.  I'd still take DE or CB over all of them, even with the current roster.  Can't have too many cover corners or pass rushers.  

36 minutes ago, xen said:

Oh I thought he said long term.  Immediately we need a MLB who can cover in the worst way, then offensive line.  I'd still take DE or CB over all of them, even with the current roster.  Can't have too many cover corners or pass rushers.  

Yea, maybe 1a. Is cover lb and then RB. Offense really needs that RB at this moment. But I’m hoping it’s Darwin.

add an all world guard, in particular on the right side, and our running backs look like emmit smith, who for a long time played behind one of the best lines ever created, there backups where pro bowl worthy. 

now our corners, aint all that but I dont see that as the biggest problem. 

The dline is pretty decent with an all world interior lineman already on the roster.  The DE's arent the greatest in the history of the nfl.. but there decent.. 

but, to say theres not room for an impact line backer would be incorrect, ours are mostly forgettable.  but as Xen said.. I dont want ray lewis.. 

I want a do it all quick on his feet middle linebacker. 

running backs... you want a great running back... then you need a pair of gaurds and a center.  There is no other way. 

No way I’m wasting that pick on an offensive lineman especially on the interior. So that’s out. You can find elite RBs all over the place so that’s not a consideration for me. QB can elevate the WRs so I’d pass there.  That said with by far the most important part of the offense already in place, I’m going D

Reggie White- best defensive lineman in my lifetime or Deion Sanders - best cover corner of my lifetime both get strong looks but I’m looking for versatility  So a Ronnie Lott CB/S combo has to be considered   But ultimately I’m going with the best defensive player of this generation LT   He impacted a game like nobody else  I still value the OLB position but he’s so much more than a pass rusher  Hes a game wrecker   Mahomes on one side, LT on the other   Line the trophies up