Why has Veach and Andy ignored the Oline in the draft?

Can’t fix it all. They’ve grabbed some guys, and brought some in.

rankins and wiz for example. And they both should start. 
center is a dumpster fire. Wish we would have kept last years backup/ temp starter. I thought it changed when he took over for Morse.

21 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Can’t fix it all. They’ve grabbed some guys, and brought some in.

rankins and wiz for example. And they both should start. 
center is a dumpster fire. Wish we would have kept last years backup/ temp starter. I thought it changed when he took over for Morse.

It was Reiter.

Reid is like a kid who loves getting new toys and Veach is basically a nobody. They probably didn't expect Reiter to be so awful with Wylie and LDT joining him. It's not like their job is to assess these guys.

Can't fix them all at once but front office messed up the priorities. 

It’s Andy more than Dorsey or Veach.    Since Andy has been here they have used  2 picks on the line in the first 3 rounds and none since 2015.  

Our 2 best lineman are a round 1 pick and even though we didn’t draft Schwartz he was drafted in the 2nd round.  It’s time to spend some draft capital in that area,  first 3 rounds.    

Lots of reasons:

• One of the best offenses in the history of football in 2018
  • One of the highest rated offensive lines in 2018
  • One of the worse defenses in the league in 2018
  • 3 of the six highest paid players on the team(in terms of cap space this year) are currently on the Online
  • Those same three players are all under contract through at least 2022
  • LDT wasn't expected to play as poorly as he has
  • The O-line takes up more cap than any other position group on the team already
  • If the chiefs would have spent money on Oline over defense the fan base would have put their heads on stakes
  • When drafting Rankin in the 3rd rd last year, you expected to see solid play year 2 and for him NOT to end up on IR
  • The FA market for online this offseason was either WAY too expensive or not really upgrades over what we currently had
  • MOST o-lineman drafted need 2-3 seasons to reach potential.  Chiefs don't have that kind of time or money when in a superbowl window for drafted players

REALLY long story short, the chiefs didn't think they had as big of a problem as everyone else did with their o-line.  They saw 3 very solid spots on the o-line with another elevating from their 2018 3rd round pick and felt that the strength of the rest could make up for one below average spot.  Don't forget that Fisher and Schwartz were both on the injury list all week, meaning they aren't 100% either.

4 minutes ago, WichitaZRide said:

Lots of reasons:

• 3 of the six highest paid players on the team(in terms of cap space this year) are currently on the Online
  • The O-line takes up more cap than any other position group on the team already
  • If the chiefs would have spent money on Oline over defense the fan base would have put their heads on stakes
  • When drafting Rankin in the 3rd rd last year, you expected to see solid play year 2 and for him NOT to end up on IR
  • The FA market for online this offseason was either WAY too expensive or not really upgrades over what we currently had
  • MOST o-lineman drafted need 2-3 seasons to reach potential.  Chiefs don't have that kind of time or money when in a superbowl window for drafted players

REALLY long story short, the chiefs didn't think they had as big of a problem as everyone else did with their o-line.  They saw 3 very solid spots on the o-line with another elevating from their 2018 3rd round pick and felt that the strength of the rest could make up for one below average spot.  Don't forget that Fisher and Schwartz were both on the injury list all week, meaning they aren't 100% either.

Good post. They probably wanted to resign Morse but the concussions just kept piling up. Reiter had to be a stop gap plan where I’m guessing they thought return of LDT would offset the difference. Hasn’t happened and then you add injury to Fisher and it served to expose the whole thing. Erving was a former 1st round pick who simply doesn’t have it at this level.  
I get why we are here, but moving forward we need at least one high level interior lineman to stabilize group.  

49 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Good post. They probably wanted to resign Morse but the concussions just kept piling up. Reiter had to be a stop gap plan where I’m guessing they thought return of LDT would offset the difference. Hasn’t happened and then you add injury to Fisher and it served to expose the whole thing. Erving was a former 1st round pick who simply doesn’t have it at this level.  
I get why we are here, but moving forward we need at least one high level interior lineman to stabilize group.  

I don't think they ever wanted to keep Morse. They were reportedly interested in Jansen the year before and didn't look like we made an attempt at resigning Morse. However I don't think they expected such a bad performance from Reiter. Resembled Fulton when he came in last year but so far he has been terrible. 

I don't know if the hits and the ankle injury has a major role but Mahomes doesn't look as comfortable as last year behind the line and it's definitely the biggest issue on offense right now. Fisher sure isn't an all-pro but the switch to Erving was a major downgrade as well. 

1 hour ago, WichitaZRide said:

Lots of reasons:

Whoever rated us as one of the best lines in 2018 should avoid watching the sport of football. Are these the same guys that said Steven Nelson was one of the best CBs in the league? PFF? The line was terrible last year. Very few QBs took as much punishment as Pat.  I know we will blame that on Pat, but its the line.

I will say that LDT has never stood out to me other than a play here and there several years ago. Average at best. The rest are not even starters. Morse too. They are injury prone as well.

I think they felt really good with the guys they had.  I am not sure why, though. Going forward, I expect we will see some moves there.

Also have to recognize reality that Veach took over a defense where he has had to subtract as many pieces as he's added due to bad contracts and our overall CAP situation. He's used every pick on day one or two the draft since he's gotten here on the defensive side of the ball other than Hardman. That said he's also traded for a former first round pick in Erving and a former thrid round pick in Rankins. So he knows it needs attention. Hopefully this year we will use some real resources to address it. I think even one good interior linemen would help a TON. 

3 hours ago, DieHard said:

Whoever rated us as one of the best lines in 2018 should avoid watching the sport of football. Are these the same guys that said Steven Nelson was one of the best CBs in the league? PFF? The line was terrible last year. Very few QBs took as much punishment as Pat.  I know we will blame that on Pat, but its the line.

The Chiefs allowed 106 QB hits(9th) and 26 sacks(28th) last season.   League average was 90, so he basically took one more hit per game than average.  Additionally, when you ratio the number of QB hits vs attempts, it drops the oline rank to 11.  While it could certainly be improved on, it wasn't as bad as your statement.  The Chiefs expected a healthy LDT(who had allowed next to no Sacks/Pressures/Hits up to the point of his injury last year) to improve that in 2019.  Combined with an up and coming Reiter I can see why they weren't as worried as the rest of us.

Additionally, the Chiefs are at 57 QB hits(25th) and 20 sacks(28th) in 2019 so far.  That scales out to 76 QB hits and 27 sacks through 16 games.  While I think the original intent of this post was more about the run game than pass protection, that feels like a HUGE improvement since your concern is Mahomes getting hurt.

I think fans in general magnify the number of hits their QB takes because the position is so important to them...

4 minutes ago, WichitaZRide said:

The Chiefs allowed 106 QB hits(9th) and 26 sacks(28th) last season.   League average was 90, so he basically took one more hit per game than average.  Additionally, when you ratio the number of QB hits vs attempts, it drops the oline rank to 11.  While it could certainly be improved on, it wasn't as bad as your statement.  The Chiefs expected a healthy LDT(who had allowed next to no Sacks/Pressures/Hits up to the point of his injury last year) to improve that in 2019.  Combined with an up and coming Reiter I can see why they weren't as worried as the rest of us.

Additionally, the Chiefs are at 57 QB hits(25th) and 20 sacks(28th) in 2019 so far.  That scales out to 76 QB hits and 27 sacks through 16 games.  While I think the original intent of this post was more about the run game than pass protection, that feels like a HUGE improvement since your concern is Mahomes getting hurt.

I think fans in general magnify the number of hits their QB takes because the position is so important to them...

More importantly, how come you show up at JPPT1974 in some places and WIchitaZRide in others?

6 minutes ago, WichitaZRide said:

All this analytic geek crap is for fantasy twits.  Mahomes will take a few more sacks and hits because he is extending plays. Mahomes also moves well and that makes the oline look better than it is in the stupid stats world.

Using MY EYES its easy to see the oline has never been great. AND Now there are no holes for anyone to hit. So you could have your choice of backs and the results would not change much. 

1 hour ago, WichitaZRide said:

I agree it is a little better this season. Not where it needs to be IMO. The dangerous thing it looks to me is when 2 or 3 guys get there and sandwich him. I am very glad Fish is back. It should be better now that he has his mobility back. Hope the run blocking improves.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned (though I did only skim so maybe I missed it) that our general draft and team-building philosophy is that we grab projects and try to coach them up and invest our resources elsewhere.  We've used a few late-round picks the last couple of years.  I don't expect much else, or for that to change.

11 hours ago, WichitaZRide said:

Mahomes had to avoid quite a bit of hits by running all over. If he wasn't as mobile we could have broken some records in that area. 

Overall the numbers are simply hiding how pathetic our line has been over the last two years.