chiefs offense

I told one of my kids it was the least impressive blowout I'd ever seen.  That said, I went back and watched the game again (gotta love condensed games) and it wasn't as bad as I thought.

They were close on a few big plays (the hold on Thompson that nullified the amazing catch-and-run by DRob was criminal, and the Kelce bomb was just out of reach), and they were 7-11 on third downs and 4-5 in the red zone.  I watched Reid's and Mahome's press conferences and neither seemed too concerned about it...  They said the game didn't demand big plays so they didn't push it.  I'm sucker enough to believe them, and actually appreciative that they'd rather make sure they win the game than put up fantasy numbers.

At the end of the day, their offense just isn't as good as it was with a great RB.  They haven't been as dangerous without Hunt, teams don't have to respect the run so they can drop more men into coverage and the Chiefs can't make them pay.

I'll always be convinced they lost the superbowl last year when the released him (which was the correct move, btw).  They were unstoppable with him at RB, and he was only getting better.

11 minutes ago, Marleydawg said:

I told one of my kids it was the least impressive blowout I'd ever seen.  That said, I went back and watched the game again (gotta love condensed games) and it wasn't as bad as I thought.

They were close on a few big plays (the hold on Thompson that nullified the amazing catch-and-run by DRob was criminal, and the Kelce bomb was just out of reach), and they were 7-11 on third downs and 4-5 in the red zone.  I watched Reid's and Mahome's press conferences and neither seemed too concerned about it...  They said the game didn't demand big plays so they didn't push it.  I'm sucker enough to believe them, and actually appreciative that they'd rather make sure they win the game than put up fantasy numbers.

At the end of the day, their offense just isn't as good as it was with a great RB.  They haven't been as dangerous without Hunt, teams don't have to respect the run so they can drop more men into coverage and the Chiefs can't make them pay.

I'll always be convinced they lost the superbowl last year when the released him (which was the correct move, btw).  They were unstoppable with him at RB, and he was only getting better.

When all that went down with Hunt last season, someone posted a fake article insinuating that Belichik had something to do with the TMZ leak. It was funny at the time. It would be nice if Thompson turned out to be what the Chiefs need. 

8 hours ago, Holmes4six! said:

it doesn’t seem we are as explosive as last year. i’d prefer long clock eating drives but there just seems to be something just off. perhaps reid has kept his playbook close to his vest these last two weeks. what are your thoughts  

Simply, need complimentary football.

the running game isn’t setting up the pass at all. No threat of play action.

i hope Darwin becomes the guy.

when there’s no featured back, and multiple guys rotate in, it usually gives the defense a tell. Meaning certain backs only run certain plays. Eliminating what the defense has to cover. 

this team needs a feature back.

Mahomes said shorter field due to better defense and situational playing with the lead is the reason. I think it makes sense. A little more small ball to keep the defense fresh. These guys arent playing for fantasy football stats. Taking what the defense is giving.

52 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Simply, need complimentary football.

the running game isn’t setting up the pass at all. No threat of play action.

i hope Darwin becomes the guy.

when there’s no featured back, and multiple guys rotate in, it usually gives the defense a tell. Meaning certain backs only run certain plays. Eliminating what the defense has to cover. 

this team needs a feature back.

Truth. I dont have much faith Thompson is that guy. I dont see anything really special about him. But I could be mistaken.

There have been backs his size like Devonta Freeman that have been feature backs in powerful offenses. And hes built like a brick shithouse. He should be able to withstand a little more abuse than most 200 lb guys. You seen the guy with his shirt off? Dude lives in the gym.

I'm kind of disappointed that it's taken this long for them to involve him, but there is still time to figure out if he can be our feature back going forward.

Would be really nice to check that off the list. And the more he as accomplishes behind this garbage line, the more he will be able to do when they shore it up this offseason.

1 hour ago, FANATIC said:

Mahomes said shorter field due to better defense and situational playing with the lead is the reason. I think it makes sense. A little more small ball to keep the defense fresh. These guys arent playing for fantasy football stats. Taking what the defense is giving.

Pretty much agree with this.  

Brady has done the same thing for years just taking what the defense gives him.   If what he said is true it shows he is evolving more as a QB.   

Keep in mind that the last 3 games have been the first time since the first quarter of week 1 that the offense as a whole has been healthy at the same time.   Whether it be Patrick n his ankle and then his knee, Tyreek or the revolving doors on the line or Watkins the starters haven’t played together much in the regular season since week 1.   

Last year the offense put up 31 in a half against a  pretty good defense without Hunt and the D knowing they were going to pass and still couldn’t stop it.   

I love a good running game but I don’t believe it’s the reason for the lack of explosiveness right now.  

I think Thompson’s balance and ability to disappear among those big linemen make him hard to defend. Not going with the Hunt comparisons. Thompson is a complimentary change of pace back IMO. Not a work horse. 

I would roll with Shady for that and hope he doesn’t fumble. Ware might help. The Williams brothers don’t bring much to the table in my opinion. Run yards are going to be hard to come by regardless of who is rushing right now.

12 hours ago, Marleydawg said:

Don't forget the Sammy Watkins mugging that cost us a big play TD.  I think we still scored a TD but that ball was right in stride had he not been mugged from behind.  I felt the same way too initially but I do think the windy conditions and Mahomes still settling in have our O playing a little less efficient.  It doesn't look like Mahomes trusts the interior of the pocket to hold up and is throwing a lot of balls off balanced.    With that said the D looks like its slowing figuring out the D and gelling.  We might not win the SB this year but I think we are making good progress and I think the O should round into form at just the right time for the playoffs.

3 hours ago, Okiechief1 said:

Pretty much agree with this.  

Brady has done the same thing for years just taking what the defense gives him.   If what he said is true it shows he is evolving more as a QB.   

Keep in mind that the last 3 games have been the first time since the first quarter of week 1 that the offense as a whole has been healthy at the same time.   Whether it be Patrick n his ankle and then his knee, Tyreek or the revolving doors on the line or Watkins the starters haven’t played together much in the regular season since week 1.   

Last year the offense put up 31 in a half against a  pretty good defense without Hunt and the D knowing they were going to pass and still couldn’t stop it.   

I love a good running game but I don’t believe it’s the reason for the lack of explosiveness right now.  

He looked pretty content just winning the game.  It doesn't seem like he's concerned with stats over winning which I like.   I still think the O is geling and the weather didn't do us any favors.

17 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Don't forget the Sammy Watkins mugging that cost us a big play TD.  I think we still scored a TD but that ball was right in stride had he not been mugged from behind.  I felt the same way too initially but I do think the windy conditions and Mahomes still settling in have our O playing a little less efficient.  It doesn't look like Mahomes trusts the interior of the pocket to hold up and is throwing a lot of balls off balanced.    With that said the D looks like its slowing figuring out the D and gelling.  We might not win the SB this year but I think we are making good progress and I think the O should round into form at just the right time for the playoffs.

Good point, although muggings are going to happen (especially in the playoffs).  Agreed about trusting the pocket, seems like every other throw is off his back foot (it's pretty awesome to have a QB who can do that effectively!!!). 

I /do/ disagree about this not being a SB team.  I don't think the offense will ever be quite like it was last year; as good (FUN) as it was, it wasn't enough to get the job done.  The team needs balance, and assuming the D continues to round in form, it's as balanced a Chiefs team as we've seen since 2015 -- now with an elite QB capable (but not required) to make plays when it matters.  As much as I appreciated AS11, he was not that guy.

Not saying they're a lock, but they have as good a chance as anyone in the league.  The running game on both sides of the ball is what's going to doom them (if they are to be doomed); no team is complete (except maybe Baltimore at the moment -- but the SB isn't won in December).

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

Interior oline gets blown up with regularity for sure. I also think Mahomes looks a little gun shy about the knee since he came back. As you said too many backfoot passes.