what is it about our run game that’s makes so crappy. lineman or is it the play design 

i think we have good enough backs and lineman to at least be respectable. i am leaning towards the play designs. what do u all think? 

it was nice to see ware out there getting us some tough yards.

On 12/8/2019 at 10:17 PM, WichitaZRide said:

Yep...beat the Patriots on the Road...snapped a 22 game home win streak, rushed for more yards against the #6 run defense than they averagea, and we are complaining...sounds about right...

Not sure I saw anyone complaining.  Looks like someone tried to start a discussion on..........wait for it..................................A DISCUSSION BOARD!!!  Who woulda thunk it!

I agree it's the interior Oline that is the biggest culprit. They do not move people out very often. They get stood up at the line of scrimmage or are being pushed. Won't win too many battles in the trenches doing that. When they do execute we get decent runs. They just aren't good enough to do it on a consistent basis.

4 minutes ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

Not sure I saw anyone complaining.  Looks like someone tried to start a discussion on..........wait for it..................................A DISCUSSION BOARD!!!  Who woulda thunk it!

LITERALLY the first thing on this thread, "What is it about our run game that's makes so crappy"  I know spelling and phrasing isn't correct, but PLEASE tell me how that would be seen as anything other than a complaint?  If you want to start a discussion you say something like, "I've noticed that the chiefs are ranked 27th in average rush yards per game, why do you think that's so low?"  Additionally, timing plays a role in something being interpreted as a complaint vs an item for discussion.  If you choose to post something with a negative connotation less than three hours after a game, it would be considered a complaint. 

I don't know why you felt the need to call my comment out, but its really not rocket science.  If you prefer, we can have a DISCUSSION on my feelings on badmouthing a team less than three hours after securing what is arguably the Chief's most meaningful regular season victory in the last 5 years, but I think we already know where I stand on that.

On 12/8/2019 at 9:31 PM, Holmes4six! said:

what is it about our run game that’s makes so crappy. lineman or is it the play design 

i think we have good enough backs and lineman to at least be respectable. i am leaning towards the play designs. what do u all think? 

it was nice to see ware out there getting us some tough yards.

We’ve got an elite game planner who’s had six different RBs have 1,000 plus yard seasons. It’s not play design.  Our oline can’t run block and our RBs struggle to break tackles in short space. Andy will occasionally abandon run too fast but that’s not the issue this year.   IE..we didn’t have this problem with Kareem Hunt and Mitch Morse.  

On 12/8/2019 at 10:22 PM, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Some can't be happy for a win, not even for a few hours.

People that don’t enjoy wins really should do themselves a favor and stop following the team. This isn’t real life, it’s entertainment. Win the championship and I’ll never get any enjoyment or satisfaction until they do people just don’t get it. 
That said you seem to always take issue with people bringing up issues that could keep us from the ultimate goal.

It’s very reasonable to both really enjoy this team and this very good four year run we are on and still bring up discuss or have concern over things we are struggling with.

On 12/8/2019 at 9:22 PM, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Some can't be happy for a win, not even for a few hours.

The Chiefs can win and still have a shitty run game. So people will discuss the shitty run game because it's a discussion board. Personally I was very happy with the win AND think they have a shitty run game.

50 minutes ago, WichitaZRide said:

LITERALLY the first thing on this thread, "What is it about our run game that's makes so crappy"  I know spelling and phrasing isn't correct, but PLEASE tell me how that would be seen as anything other than a complaint?  If you want to start a discussion you say something like, "I've noticed that the chiefs are ranked 27th in average rush yards per game, why do you think that's so low?"  Additionally, timing plays a role in something being interpreted as a complaint vs an item for discussion.  If you choose to post something with a negative connotation less than three hours after a game, it would be considered a complaint. 

I don't know why you felt the need to call my comment out, but its really not rocket science.  If you prefer, we can have a DISCUSSION on my feelings on badmouthing a team less than three hours after securing what is arguably the Chief's most meaningful regular season victory in the last 5 years, but I think we already know where I stand on that.

LOL!  WHOA THERE TRIGGER!!!  Would you say our run game is good?  I think he just called a spade a spade.  I can see where it could be seen as complaining.  I actually thought it was a good topic for a DISCUSSION board.  Yes, we won, and I love that, but our run game SUCKS!  and YES I am complaining about it!

19 minutes ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

LOL!  WHOA THERE TRIGGER!!!  Would you say our run game is good?  I think he just called a spade a spade.  I can see where it could be seen as complaining.  I actually thought it was a good topic for a DISCUSSION board.  Yes, we won, and I love that, but our run game SUCKS!  and YES I am complaining about it!

Yea Im complaining too. It's trash.

Imo, it's more Oline than RBs. The oline has really struggled. All of them, from Fish to Schwartz. But the interior guys have really sucked ass, especially Reiter.

Mahomes knows it, which is why he's so jumpy and uncomfortable in the pocket. Just watch him.

He bails when he doesn't need to and he absolutely refuses to step up in the pocket.

And it's not just guys not playing together, they're are just losing.....sorta like Cam Erving when he's in the game. Just getting whipped.

4 hours ago, azchief21 said:

The Chiefs can win and still have a shitty run game. So people will discuss the shitty run game because it's a discussion board. Personally I was very happy with the win AND think they have a shitty run game.

Yep. Its important to run the ball enough to keep defenses and especially safeties honest. But we simply don't have a lot of playmaking ability out of the run game this year. It's something i think we can fix next year though and give our offense that extra dimension again as well as a better ability to close out games. 

3 hours ago, artsy said:

Yea Im complaining too. It's trash.

Imo, it's more Oline than RBs. The oline has really struggled. All of them, from Fish to Schwartz. But the interior guys have really sucked ass, especially Reiter.

Mahomes knows it, which is why he's so jumpy and uncomfortable in the pocket. Just watch him.

He bails when he doesn't need to and he absolutely refuses to step up in the pocket.

And it's not just guys not playing together, they're are just losing.....sorta like Cam Erving when he's in the game. Just getting whipped.

And again why Andy Reid has his hands full calling plays to protect Mahomes and keep defenses honest. Our run game is simply there as a decoy of sorts rather than something we can count on most games to truly produce. As such we've got to live with the ugly 1-2 yard runs up the middle or short screens until we fix the above. Also three different plays last week in the second half I have seen now that show open players downfield with Mahomes taking the bailout option because of pressure. I can't impress in my opinion how important it is to upgrade this oline for next year. 

4 hours ago, VIChiefsFan said:

Tim Grunhard says it is personnel.  Our linemen are more athletic and built for the screen and pulling game.  We don't have road graders.

Reid has always wantes a more athletic line. It is what he goes for and has always been this way. 

I don’t know if he would do much better. Shady is a legit PB RB and there just isn’t anything there. Johnson would do no better. He had one 1000 yard season. Shady averages that.

Not saying I am an expert on Johnson, just saying talent at RB is sufficient. RB ain’t the problem IMHO. I roll with Shady, Dtrain and Ware.

3 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

And again why Andy Reid has his hands full calling plays to protect Mahomes and keep defenses honest. Our run game is simply there as a decoy of sorts rather than something we can count on most games to truly produce. As such we've got to live with the ugly 1-2 yard runs up the middle or short screens until we fix the above. Also three different plays last week in the second half I have seen now that show open players downfield with Mahomes taking the bailout option because of pressure. I can't impress in my opinion how important it is to upgrade this oline for next year. 

My question is, what in Reid's philosophy requires athletic pulling guards?  I mean yes the ability to get linemen out in space is awesome, but is our offense really that dependent on them?  Is there really anything in the current offense that we wouldn't be able to do if we had big maulers on the line?  I think the screen game was a lot more important with Alex Smith than it is with Mahomes.  The screen game is an extension of the running game,  but with Mahomes' ability to stretch the field and make all the throws, a solid run game would make those screens of less importance.  To me it's simple, what is more dynamic, the current state of the offense with mobile linemen and screens, or big nasty linemen enabling play action with Mahomes beating defenses over the top?  I like the idea of speed on the outside, but it's high time we stopped overvaluing mobility on the line.  

17 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Johnson anyone? I bet he would thrive if it ever happened which i highly doubt it would.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2019/12/11/chiefs-tyrann-mathieu-cardinals-david-johnson-come-kc/4399051002/

I think it's gotta be a draft pick moving forward.  There's a lot of other money that needs to be sorted out, and I wouldn't want to commit 10 million to a single RB next season.  

2 minutes ago, moons314 said:

I think it's gotta be a draft pick moving forward.  There's a lot of other money that needs to be sorted out, and I wouldn't want to commit 10 million to a single RB next season.  

Agreed, but i do find it interesting when i come across things like this.

2 hours ago, moons314 said:

My question is, what in Reid's philosophy requires athletic pulling guards?  I mean yes the ability to get linemen out in space is awesome, but is our offense really that dependent on them?  Is there really anything in the current offense that we wouldn't be able to do if we had big maulers on the line?  I think the screen game was a lot more important with Alex Smith than it is with Mahomes.  The screen game is an extension of the running game,  but with Mahomes' ability to stretch the field and make all the throws, a solid run game would make those screens of less importance.  To me it's simple, what is more dynamic, the current state of the offense with mobile linemen and screens, or big nasty linemen enabling play action with Mahomes beating defenses over the top?  I like the idea of speed on the outside, but it's high time we stopped overvaluing mobility on the line.  

I can’t answer that except to say his style of linemen has produced 4 different Pro Bowl RBs. Problem isn’t their style, in my opinion, it’s reality they aren’t very good at it.  I read the offensive line film breakdown of Sunday’s game and by far the worst player was by far our higher paid interior lineman LDT. First and foremost Andy wants to protect his QB and they are awful at it.