Clinton Portis, nine other ex-NFL players charged with health care fraud

Clinton Portis, nine other ex-NFL players charged with health care fraud

Posted by Josh Alper on December 12, 2019, 10:55 AM EST
gettyimages-107740361-e1576166036966.jpg
Getty Images

The United States Department of Justice has charged 10 former NFL players with defrauding a health care program for retired players.

Former Washington and Denver running back Clinton Portis is among those who have been charged. He is joined by Carlos Rogers, Robert McCune, John Eubanks, Tamarick Vanover, Ceandris Brown, James Butler, Frederick Bennett, Correll Buckhalter and Etric Pruitt.

Former NFL wideouts Joe Horn and Reche Caldwell are also expected to be charged with conspiracy to commit health care fraud.

The charges were filed in the Eastern District of Kentucky this week allege that the retired players submitted fradulent claims for medical equipment costing between $40,000-50,000 to the Gene Upshaw NFL Player Health Reimbursement Account Plan. They would fabricate prescriptions and invoices to support while recruiting others to make false claims in exchange for payments of up to $10,000.

“Ten former NFL players allegedly committed a brazen, multimillion dollar fraud on a health care plan meant to help their former teammates and other retired players pay legitimate, out-of-pocket medical expenses,” assistant attorney general Brian Benczkowski said, via the Washington Post. “Today’s indictments underscore that whoever you are, if you loot health care programs to line your own pockets, you will be held accountable by the Department of Justice.”

According to the indictment, the claims filed between June 2017 and December 2018 totaled $3.9 million and the health care plan paid out more than $3.4 million.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/12/clinton-portis-nine-other-ex-nfl-players-charged-with-health-care-fraud/

2 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

How crappy did these guys manage their money if they are trying to defraud health insurance subsidies for a few hundred thousand here and there? Vanover isn’t a big surprise but Horn had a long career.

There was an oft quoted article in Sports Illustrated a few years back that claimed the 70% of NFL players are bankrupt within several years of their retirement from playing.  Probably not accurate, but the idea is real.  No many have the financial education, smarts, discipline, or long range planning attitudes to live off their 3.5 average years of earnings.  Easy to see how those with no other skills could be desperate for some easy money.  

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

There was an oft quoted article in Sports Illustrated a few years back that claimed the 70% of NFL players are bankrupt within several years of their retirement from playing.  Probably not accurate, but the idea is real.  No many have the financial education, smarts, discipline, or long range planning attitudes to live off their 3.5 average years of earnings.  Easy to see how those with no other skills could be desperate for some easy money.  

Not surprised. People buy homes with high property taxes and when the big income isn't coming, that property tax can literally end up being 20% of their current income. Add in other financial debt and their incomes do not exceed their bills. Add in groceries and daily living expenses...BANKRUPT!  

I'm not the model of good financial decisions, hell I'm still paying for debt I would kick my younger self in the head for getting BUT I have not lived beyond my means in so damn long that I actually see the financial freedom. Hope I live to enjoy it! Hahahahaha 

18 hours ago, WichitaZRide said:

Is it bad that neither of the former Chiefs mentioned surprise me?

That said, i opened the article expecting Larry Johnson's name to be on the list, lol

17 hours ago, jetlord said:

I was thinking Barry Word. 

15 hours ago, reesebobby said:

Bam Morris 

Vanover had already been in some legal trouble, but I don't think I ever remember hearing anything about Horn.  Johnson has turned his life around since his playing days, I think.  Word and Morris I have no idea where they are at now, obviously they had some trouble back in the day.

On 12/13/2019 at 9:58 AM, Adamixoye said:

Vanover had already been in some legal trouble, but I don't think I ever remember hearing anything about Horn.  Johnson has turned his life around since his playing days, I think.  Word and Morris I have no idea where they are at now, obviously they had some trouble back in the day.

I'm surprised this subject hasn't been moved out of CTO, but It's no big deal to me. Other than the incident of throwing water on a woman in a club,  I don't remember Larry Johnson being that bad of a dude off the field. He just seemed to have that crappy east-coast attitude that rubs some people the wrong way at times. 

5 hours ago, qnet said:

I'm surprised this subject hasn't been moved out of CTO, but It's no big deal to me. Other than the incident of throwing water on a woman in a club,  I don't remember Larry Johnson being that bad of a dude off the field. He just seemed to have that crappy east-coast attitude that rubs some people the wrong way at times. 

I think he had some woman slapping issues if I remember right.

I too seem to remember there being more to Johnson's issues than just throwing a drink, but again, I believe I read some things about him (I can't remember if it was an article or just some tweets) where he talked about owning past mistakes.  Maybe I'll look it up at some point...

5 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

I too seem to remember there being more to Johnson's issues than just throwing a drink, but again, I believe I read some things about him (I can't remember if it was an article or just some tweets) where he talked about owning past mistakes.  Maybe I'll look it up at some point...

He has done so many times, link is just one example

https://www.tmz.com/2018/11/30/larry-johnsonkareem-hunt-domestic-violence-chiefs/

10 hours ago, qnet said:

That's a little worse, if true, but I don't remember.  

Johnson has been arrested at least six times since 2003. Five of the arrests were on various assault charges against women, four while he was an active player in the NFL. In 2003, he was arrested for felony aggravated assault and misdemeanor domestic battery for waving a gun at his then-girlfriend, during an argument at his home. The charges were dropped when Johnson agreed to participate in a domestic violence diversion program. In 2005, he was again arrested for assault when a woman accused Johnson of pushing her to the ground, but the case was dropped after the alleged victim failed to appear in court for three hearings.