Chiefs v Bears game possibly flexed

The Bears-Chiefs game may be flexed out of Week 16 Sunday Night Football

9b42cb50-0506-11ea-af7f-2ce87eae1148
Kelly Twardziak
NBC Sports ChicagoDecember 11, 2019

If you're a Bears fan traveling the weekend of Dec. 21, you may want to check and see if your plans are adjustable. According to WGN's Adam Hoge, the Bears have the potential to be flexed out of Sunday Night Football for their Week 16 matchup against the 9-4 Kansas City Chiefs.

Multiple sources confirm NFL has executed a 6-day flex window for WK 16. That means #Bears-Chiefs can still be flexed out of Sunday Night Football, depending on Sunday's results. NO-TEN will likely move to SNF if Bears are eliminated. Plan your holiday travel accordingly.

The move hinges on how the Bears play this coming Sunday against the current NFC North leading Green Bay Packers. If the Bears break our hearts this holiday season and lose to the Packers, effectively eliminating them from this postseason, they could lose the Dec. 22 SNF slot to the New Orleans Saints and the Tennessee Titans.

The NFL implemented flexible scheduling to primetime in 2006 to ensure quality matchups during SNF, allowing teams to earn their way into primetime slots. The NFL usually has to give at least 12-days notice if they decide to make the switch, but that becomes more flexible towards the end of the season.

In terms of W-L over the past few years we've been decent on MNF, mixed on TNF, and mixed or a little below average on SNF.  Having said that, I was kind of looking forward to having at shot at improving our record on SNF with this game.  I don't think the Bears will roll over, but I like our chances.

2 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

It’s not getting flexed. 

Is that official somewhere or just your guess?  If Minnesota wins then the Bears are out of playoff contention, the condition that the story said would trigger a flex to NO-TEN.  Not sure that is a much better game.  DAL-PHI is probably the most meaningful game for playoff implications, but might be protected by Fox.

1 minute ago, Okiechief1 said:

It’s not getting flexed. 

Hope you got good information.  While the day game might be better in some respects, with a late game the Chiefs will know the outcome of the Buff/Pats game well in advance.  If the Pats win, the Chiefs should take Hill, Kelce, and Mahomes out early unless the game is within one score.

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Hope you got good information.  While the day game might be better in some respects, with a late game the Chiefs will know the outcome of the Buff/Pats game well in advance.  If the Pats win, the Chiefs should take Hill, Kelce, and Mahomes out early unless the game is within one score.

I don't think it would play out like this.  Yes, against Buffalo is the Pats' best chance to lose, but even if the Pats win the Chiefs still have a chance until the final week as long as they continue to win.

1 minute ago, Adamixoye said:

I don't think it would play out like this.  Yes, against Buffalo is the Pats' best chance to lose, but even if the Pats win the Chiefs still have a chance until the final week as long as they continue to win.

Dolphins playing NE in Boston in late December?  Yeah, right!  ☺️

26 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Dolphins playing NE in Boston in late December?  Yeah, right!  ☺️

I'm pretty sure I implied that I understood that.  It's a crazy long shot but weirder things have happened.  The important question is will Andy throw in the towel just because it's the Dolphins?  I doubt it.  We also might be playing for the 3 vs. 4 seed if Houston keeps winning.

1 minute ago, Adamixoye said:

I'm pretty sure I implied that I understood that.  It's a crazy long shot but weirder things have happened.  The important question is will Andy throw in the towel just because it's the Dolphins?  I doubt it.  We also might be playing for the 3 vs. 4 seed if Houston keeps winning.

Good points and there's no guarantee that KC will win out.  The Bears are out of it but playing in front of the home crowd.  The Chargers upset the Chiefs last season at Arrowhead.

Just now, jetlord said:

Good points and there's no guarantee that KC will win out.  The Bears are out of it but playing in front of the home crowd.  The Chargers upset the Chiefs last season at Arrowhead.

Yes, all of what I'm saying is predicated on KC winning next week.  If we lose at CHI and NE/HOU win next week, and we go into week 17 with only the 3 vs. 4 on the line but HOU in control, I'm not sure if we'll play for the seeding or not when we could just effectively take a bye week then.

45 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Came from the Chicago Tribune but it’s behind a paywall otherwise I would link it.   

Not sure how protecting games works but I’m guessing the games that they would want and be more meaningful the other networks aren’t giving up.  I get it but still kinda stupid as this was the reason flexing games was put in to begin with so the more meaningful games would be on SNF.   

13 minutes ago, jetlord said:

There are no guarantees the sun will come up again either.

19 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

Came from the Chicago Tribune but it’s behind a paywall otherwise I would link it.   

Not sure how protecting games works but I’m guessing the games that they would want and be more meaningful the other networks aren’t giving up.  I get it but still kinda stupid as this was the reason flexing games was put in to begin with so the more meaningful games would be on SNF.   

My understanding is that networks get to protect a certain number of games, maybe a certain total number of games across several weeks.  So they can't always flex the best one, except I think the rules are a little different in Week 17 - they make sure that one matters, usually something that's for the division or a wild card slot.