6 hours ago, azchief21 said:

As far as defense, I wasn't a big fan of bringing Spags in. Now I don't want him to leave for a HC job. He might get an offer after turning around the disaster of a defense we had last year. 

This is my biggest fear..Spags leaving for a HC job. 

That's why we have to win the SB this year!!

19 minutes ago, artsy said:

His defenses twice broke into the top 5 in year two after inheriting bottom 5 defenses.  So I’m expecting the D to be better next year with Spags.  I can’t see him getting a job after a few flops. Looks more like the classic d coordinator. But Andy’s coaching tree runs deep so you never know. 

54 minutes ago, artsy said:

He wasn't very successful in his first stint, and he was out of football for an entire year before this one.  It's not completely out of the question, but I doubt he's on any short lists.  Bieniemy is the one with the buzz.

15 hours ago, artsy said:

That won't happen this year.  If you look around the league or watch national media stuff they are just NOW picking up on our defense coming around and seemed shocked when they present stats from our defense even going back to 6 weeks ago until now.  

In the small chance this would happen even next year, I think the Chiefs are grooming Brendan Daly to be the next DC.  You can see alot of what the Patriots do on defense in our defense now.

5 hours ago, sith13 said:

Spags didn't have a good tenure as a HC so I think he'll have to sit out a few years before getting the job again. You never know in the NFL but I think he won't be getting a HC offer for another year or two. 

He's also 60 years old as of a few days ago.  While a handful of HCs are over 60, most teams are looking for someone who is young enough that they could be the HC for a decade or two.

2 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

He's also 60 years old as of a few days ago.  While a handful of HCs are over 60, most teams are looking for someone who is young enough that they could be the HC for a decade or two.

Betcha Ron Rivera is the first to get a new HC  job..he's a Defensive guy and next week he'll be 58

41 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Betcha Ron Rivera is the first to get a new HC  job..he's a Defensive guy and next week he'll be 58

I don't know how old Fangio is, but he got hired last year.  Again, I'm not saying it's impossible, but you're going to get a lot more Zac Taylors and Kliff Kingsburys hired than Vic Fangios.

On 12/24/2019 at 10:01 AM, dksww said:

That won't happen this year.  If you look around the league or watch national media stuff they are just NOW picking up on our defense coming around and seemed shocked when they present stats from our defense even going back to 6 weeks ago until now.  

In the small chance this would happen even next year, I think the Chiefs are grooming Brendan Daly to be the next DC.  You can see alot of what the Patriots do on defense in our defense now.

Chris Collinsworth pointed that out. He was on the Rich Eisen show, and said the Chiefs change coverages from play to play, depending on what the opposing offense is doing. He was really impressed, and said it was Belichick-like. I thought that was really cool. 

8 hours ago, qnet said:

Chris Collinsworth pointed that out. He was on the Rich Eisen show, and said the Chiefs change coverages from play to play, depending on what the opposing offense is doing. He was really impressed, and said it was Belichick-like. I thought that was really cool. 

I've said this before, the book on Spags (as DC, not HC) coming in was really high highs and really low lows.  The best case for him is that his lows came when the team was falling apart for reasons greater than the defense.  Whether or not he becomes a HC again, if he even wants that, I think he is really bolstering his rep as a DC.

15 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

I've said this before, the book on Spags (as DC, not HC) coming in was really high highs and really low lows.  The best case for him is that his lows came when the team was falling apart for reasons greater than the defense.  Whether or not he becomes a HC again, if he even wants that, I think he is really bolstering his rep as a DC.

I remember those points being brought up.

About a year ago,  I posted a video of him talking defense, which was mostly ignored (or seemed to be). What impressed me is,  being a person who has never played organized football on any level;  I understood very easily what he was talking about. 

He seemed like a smart dude and good teacher. It's just speculation, but Grunhard on 810 said that Spags defense isn't any simpler than what Sutton ran, and in fact may be more complicated. He speculated that maybe Spags is just better at teaching what he wants done, and I agree.

1 minute ago, qnet said:

I remember those points being brought up. About a year ago,  I posted a video of him talking defense, which was mostly ignored (or seemed to be). What impressed me is,  being a person who has never played organized football on any level;  I understood very easily what he was talking about. 

He seemed like a smart dude and good teacher. It's just speculation, but Grunhard on 810 said that Spags defense isn't any simpler than what Sutton ran, and in fact may be more complicated. He speculated that maybe Spags is just better at teaching what he wants done, and I agree.

It's really hard to know without being in the room, and also I'm not an expert on NFL defense, but it seems like compared to Sutton:

• He has a pulse and gets fiery with players
  • He makes adjustments
  • He doesn't try to force-fit players into roles or force schemes into situations

That along with our improved personnel has made a world of difference.

8 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

It's really hard to know without being in the room, and also I'm not an expert on NFL defense, but it seems like compared to Sutton:

• He has a pulse and gets fiery with players
  • He makes adjustments
  • He doesn't try to force-fit players into roles or force schemes into situations

That along with our improved personnel has made a world of difference.

Yeah, those are common thoughts on this forum I've read before. You guys may be correct, because I'm certainly not an expert either, and Kpass is a good example.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but Fuller was used a lot as a deep safety and excelled at it vs the Bears. Allowed Honey Badger to play closer to the LOS and slot corner. With that type of versatility from Fuller, Thornhill and HB it gives Spags a lot of ways to disguise coverages. I’d love to see more and Fuller extended if this continues.