Maybe Suggs is more of a need now....

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

This could be a really good move by KC.  Suggs has played well this year and with Kpass, the Chiefs only need him to play 20-30 naps/game.  Suggs is good against the run and can box in his end better than most DEs.  Clark, Jones, Nnadi, Suggs with Kpass, Saunders, and X.Williams in the wings is pretty strong. 

Don't forget Pennel.

Full article & Video Link...With power, IQ and experience, Terrell Suggs will make an impact on the defense

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/12/17/21025501/with-power-iq-and-experience-terrell-suggs-will-make-an-impact-on-the-defense

Terrell Suggs clearly has the ability to be an impactful player against both the run and the pass. Our @barleyhop shows us the film that demonstrates how he’ll anchor the other end of the #Chiefs defensive line:

As it turned out, the Kansas City Chiefs weren’t done adding pieces to their suddenly-surging defense.

After being cut by the Arizona Cardinals, edge rusher Terrell Suggs was claimed by the Kansas City Chiefs on Monday afternoon. Suggs is not simply replacing the recently-injured Alex Okafor. He should be a solid rotational piece — if not a starter.

While most know Suggs’ history through his 17-year career, many question how much gas he has left in the tank. So let’s take a quick look at some clips showing the positives he brings to the Chiefs — and then what we expect from him at the close of the season.

Steve Spagnuolo likes a specific type of defensive end: strong and long — with the ability to set a hard edge in the run game. Frank Clark definitely fits that criteria — but on the opposite side of the line, we’ve only seen flashes of that ability. With Suggs, the Chiefs appear to have obtained it.

As we see in this play, Suggs consistently shows the ability to close off the outside rushing lane, and is also able to drive blockers and squeeze inside gaps with his power.

Throughout his career, he’s been able to use good technique to separate from blockers. That remains in 2019. And with his strong play at the edge, he makes a formidable run defender.

That said, he’s probably still going to be an impact player for Spagnuolo. Prior to his release, Suggs played 50% of the defensive snaps in every game but one — and over 70% of the defensive snaps in 9 of 13 games. He’s a seasoned veteran — and Super Bowl champion — who knows what it takes to get over the hump in January. There’s been a lot of discussion about the mentality the Chiefs defense has adopted this season. Suggs is absolutely made from that same mold.

The Cardinals aren’t a particularly good football team this season. Suggs asked for his release — presumably for one last shot to win a ring. The four Super Bowl contenders that put in claims for him — and the Baltimore Ravens, who were waiting him out — all think he is a player who could make an impact in the stretch run. The Chiefs were lucky to get him — especially since it was suddenly a position of need in Kansas City.

For the Chiefs, the timing couldn’t have been better.

40 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

May be a guy that moves all over the place especially on third and long. Good depth. Guys should be a little more rested during the game.

Good depth, yes.  He will also take away a few key run attempts per game to his side.  That, alone, will cause teams in certain situations to be forced to throw into the wheel houses of Mathieu and Thornhill.  I would expect a couple more interceptions during the playoffs on 3rd and 4 or 5.

Can't expect miracles from a 37 y.o. player who's not with his preferred team, but I am excited that he's a Chief.  Help in the pass rush is good.  Help in the run game is even better and if Suggs plays 20-30 snaps, it could make the difference.  Every Chiefs' loss in the past two seasons have been by seven or fewer points (I think) and one stop makes all the difference. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Can't expect miracles from a 37 y.o. player who's not with his preferred team, but I am excited that he's a Chief.  Help in the pass rush is good.  Help in the run game is even better and if Suggs plays 20-30 snaps, it could make the difference.  Every Chiefs' loss in the past two seasons have been by seven or fewer points (I think) and one stop makes all the difference. 

Nailed it. Just one extra punt 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Haven't lost by more than 7 since mid-2017 at Dallas. Pat has never lost by more than 7.

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

We just need him to give us another solid rotational player. If he can deliver one of those big plays at a crucial time it's a bonus. Haven't we had the lead in every game of the Mahomes era?

4 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

We just need him to give us another solid rotational player. If he can deliver one of those big plays at a crucial time it's a bonus. Haven't we had the lead in every game of the Mahomes era?

Ugh, if I had thought about it I would have realized this is true and I just can't believe it.  How have we even lost 7 games (+ 1 playoff) with this guy?

Craziest Mahomes stat for 31 starts (1 in 2017, 16 in 2018 + 2 playoffs, 12 in 2019)?

• Led every game
  • Never lost by more than 7
  • Team only scored fewer than 23 once, when he clearly aggravated an injury

42 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Ugh, if I had thought about it I would have realized this is true and I just can't believe it.  How have we even lost 7 games (+ 1 playoff) with this guy?

Craziest Mahomes stat for 31 starts (1 in 2017, 16 in 2018 + 2 playoffs, 12 in 2019)?

• Led every game
  • Never lost by more than 7
  • Team only scored fewer than 23 once, when he clearly aggravated an injury

It’s actually an important question Andy and Brett need to ask themselves going forward no matter what happens in 2019. Obviously last year a historically bad defense was the biggest contributor. I’d suggest the lack of any sustainable running game is likely the biggest culprit this year. And I think this is another reason for the clear red zone regression which keeps teams in games  

From a play calling and time management standpoint Andy’s gotta look at himself too. He gets way to much blame when we lose IMO, but there are ways he can help. 

26 minutes ago, qnet said:

Yeah, I visited one of their forums, and it was more of the same. 

I think it's crap that people think we took him to prevent him to go to the Ravens because we're scared of them. If Ogbah & Okafor were healthy, don't think we make this move. But the timing was perfect and unlike with the Cardinals, he has something to play for and I think he'll help quite a bit.

21 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

It’s actually an important question Andy and Brett need to ask themselves going forward no matter what happens in 2019. Obviously last year a historically bad defense was the biggest contributor. I’d suggest the lack of any sustainable running game is likely the biggest culprit this year. And I think this is another reason for the clear red zone regression which keeps teams in games  

From a play calling and time management standpoint Andy’s gotta look at himself too. He gets way to much blame when we lose IMO, but there are ways he can help. 

Man, what I wouldn't give for Clark to go to Andy and say:  "You're a great coach, you've given us arguably the best QB in the league, your teams are prepared and don't get blown out.  But we need to be more analytically minded.  You're going to stay the coach but I want you to hire an analytics team that weighs in on in-game decisions like the Colts."

35 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

MY Take: KC is in the playoff dance. There are no culprits at this point. In fact KC..... goes to the superbowl except for FORDS STUPIDITY....so the defense was not the culprit last year either. Ford was the CULPRIT. The defense got an INT when it mattered most. 

Its not fantasy football. Just win is what KC is focused on. It will be one game, one play at a time................. very soon. 

RUNNING GAME....Maybe this trade is the problem/culprit?

Houston%20Texans.png
Carlos Hyde (ankle) was a limited participant in practice Tuesday.

The 29-year-old back passed 1,000 yards on the ground for the first time in his career on Sunday. He did so with his third 100-yard performance of the season. Hyde is 10th in the NFL with 224 carries so his limited status is likely nothing more than a rest day for the veteran. He faces a stout Buccaneers run defense this week and will be a touchdown-dependent flex option for fantasy championships.

the biggest thing this team needs is mental and physical toughness. the physical part is coming along on the defensive side of the ball but we need the offense to step up. i also think no metal toughness is the most important. can’t beat ourselves with penalties and fumbles and drops. kelce came to play last week after that fumble the week before. ware can turn into that bell cow we need and the timing couldn’t be better. there seems to be a different vibe with this team. most noticeable in the NE game and it carried over to the broncos game. 

adding in suggs is only going to help the mental aspect of the game that we lack. once we get that part right there’s no team that chiefs can’t beat convincingly. 

This GM is making a statement, we are all in for this run. If the guy can still produce and wants another legit opportunity to win another one on his HOF caliber resume then this year’s Chiefs are as legit as any. Great signing! 

1 hour ago, FANATIC said:

MY Take: KC is in the playoff dance. There are no culprits at this point. In fact KC..... goes to the superbowl except for FORDS STUPIDITY....so the defense was not the culprit last year either. Ford was the CULPRIT. The defense got an INT when it mattered most. 

Its not fantasy football. Just win is what KC is focused on. It will be one game, one play at a time................. very soon. 

RUNNING GAME....Maybe this trade is the problem/culprit?

Houston%20Texans.png
Carlos Hyde (ankle) was a limited participant in practice Tuesday.

The 29-year-old back passed 1,000 yards on the ground for the first time in his career on Sunday. He did so with his third 100-yard performance of the season. Hyde is 10th in the NFL with 224 carries so his limited status is likely nothing more than a rest day for the veteran. He faces a stout Buccaneers run defense this week and will be a touchdown-dependent flex option for fantasy championships.

We;ll never know, but if Williams had stayed healthy, Hyde wouldn't have gained 400 yards here.  Bad O-line, Coach not committed to establishing the run, Four other backs on the roster, poor pre-season performance.  Hyde fell into a good spot for himself.  Maybe Rankin will be a solid back up or even start next season.  Can't blame the Chiefs for doing the deal.