Whatever happened to ............

What's happen to some of the players we thought might be playing more snaps this year>  Specifically, Watts, Lucas, Lee, and DO'D?  Are they limited to role playing?  Just not good in this system?  Just not good?  Still some potential?  Fuller and Sorenson seem to be the third safeties and Lee has disappeared.  Is DO'D still on the roster?  Just curious. 

20 minutes ago, jetlord said:

What's happen to some of the players we thought might be playing more snaps this year>  Specifically, Watts, Lucas, Lee, and DO'D?  Are they limited to role playing?  Just not good in this system?  Just not good?  Still some potential?  Fuller and Sorenson seem to be the third safeties and Lee has disappeared.  Is DO'D still on the roster?  Just curious. 

Thornhill and Mathieu have played over 95 percent of the snaps at safety and been the biggest reason for our defensive turnaround aside from Spags in my opinion. With Sorenson back to assuming his role as a 3rd safety its just left nothing but scraps for Lucas or Watts. Both have played a ton on special teams.  DOD has the most special teams snaps on the roster but ZERO snaps on defense. Daron Lee was essentially benched after week 6 and has snaps on defense in only one game since then. Ragland and Neiman have gobbled up all of his prior snaps. Darius Harris has gone from the Ravens practice squad to netting 59 snaps the last two weeks. He's listed at LB but appears to play more DE. Seems as though he''s taking some of Wilsons snaps though. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/kan/2019-snap-counts.htm

32 minutes ago, jetlord said:

They all play on special teams. 

Lee can't tackle.  Liability in the defense, which he proved early.  

As far as DOD, I think people had way too high of expectations for him.  He was essentially a 4th round pick, who was known for his great special teams play.  That is his role.

Seeing more of Nieman. Dan has pretty much replaced Lee at Will. I think Watts and Lucas are behind to good healthy safeties. DOD just hasn’t figured it out IMO. Spags has more faith in Dan and Nieman.

Lee is the only one I am surprised about. I really thought he would play better. 

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

Seeing more of Nieman. Dan has pretty much replaced Lee at Will. I think Watts and Lucas are behind to good healthy safeties. DOD just hasn’t figured it out IMO. Spags has more faith in Dan and Nieman.

Lee is the only one I am surprised about. I really thought he would play better. 

Nieman is KC highest rated linebacker per PFF

17 hours ago, SEMO said:

They all play on special teams. 

Lee can't tackle.  Liability in the defense, which he proved early.  

As far as DOD, I think people had way too high of expectations for him.  He was essentially a 4th round pick, who was known for his great special teams play.  That is his role.

Good point about DOD. The guy was a really good LB in college but without the size to realistically hold up at this level. More of a hybrid safety type. It’s surprising however he hasn’t gotten a shot in sub packages with our LBs struggling to cover RBs and TEs.  Then again I’m sure this goes back to what they see on the practice field.  

8 hours ago, Marleydawg said:

He is really solid in coverage and a pretty sure tackler.  Doesn’t hold up well against the run though, has a hard time getting off blocks.

Once Spags benched Lee he tried to use Neiman as an every down player which proved to be a disaster because he’s a major liability vs the run.  Seems to have settled in playing about a third of the snaps now.  Again credit to Spags for learning how to use this group on the fly and making it harder for teams to exploit some clear flaws the group still has. 

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Once Spags benched Lee he tried to use Neiman as an every down player which proved to be a disaster because he’s a major liability vs the run.  Seems to have settled in playing about a third of the snaps now.  Again credit to Spags for learning how to use this group on the fly and making it harder for teams to exploit some clear flaws the group still has. 

One big thing that puts Spags over Sutton is the ability to identify role players and use them in the right situations.  Sutton seemed to be trying to pound square pegs into round holes. 

Lee is the biggest surprise to me also. I thought he would revitalize his career here. Dude is fast as shit, but he can't finish.

Sorenson has been playing that Will LB/Big Nickel role and has done well.......Not well enough for to me start liking him again, but well enough to stay on the field.

Whatever Spags has been doing has been working so I aint complaining.

14 minutes ago, artsy said:

Lee is the biggest surprise to me also. I thought he would revitalize his career here. Dude is fast as shit, but he can't finish.

Sorenson has been playing that Will LB/Big Nickel role and has done well.......Not well enough for to me start liking him again, but well enough to stay on the field.

Whatever Spags has been doing has been working so I aint complaining.

PFF has Sorenson graded above average. Close to Thornhill.

On 12/18/2019 at 10:39 AM, jetlord said:

One big thing that puts Spags over Sutton is the ability to identify role players and use them in the right situations.  Sutton seemed to be trying to pound square pegs into round holes. 

It is kind of nice being able to have faith in our defensive coordinator.  I always knee Marty and Gunther would have a good defense.  But with Grandpa Sutton, gag...