Should Hill return kicks in the playoffs?

1 hour ago, FANATIC said:

I vote YES ! In the past teams had to make big adjustments with Hill set to return kicks. Call it FEAR. That can lead to mistakes and of course Hill is a game changer. 

What say you?

Toub is adamant Hardman is going to be an elite kick returner and is sitting on breaking one soon. He's also 2nd in the NFL in punt return average and 8th in kick returns. So he's the guy I'd go with and have Tyreek focused on WR. That said if it its the second half in a crucial situation I think Dave Toub has already said he'd go to Hill. He did it in the Vikings game. 

2 hours ago, DieHard said:

It will be a tough decision. Punts probably yes.

28 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

I am not a fan of doing things differently with guys if they don’t regularly practice and execute it. Punts sure, since he does it time to time. But not kickoffs.

I feel the opposite, I feel like Hill is too cute with punts.  He has some small chance of breaking one but he'll hurt us on others.  I want him on kickoffs.

1 hour ago, Thegoatee said:

I am not a fan of doing things differently with guys if they don’t regularly practice and execute it. Punts sure, since he does it time to time. But not kickoffs.

Except for kick offs short of about the 5, I'd just as see no one return them.  Seems the majority don't make it out to the 25 and long returns are very rare.  Add in the possibility of the block in the back or holding, and taking the touch back is usually better. 

5 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Except for kick offs short of about the 5, I'd just as see no one return them.  Seems the majority don't make it out to the 25 and long returns are very rare.  Add in the possibility of the block in the back or holding, and taking the touch back is usually better. 

Most announcers say the 10. I guess the mindset is that if the ball hits the 10, its going to travel into the endzone, on kickoffs that is. Punts are a different story altogether. 

3 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Most announcers say the 10. I guess the mindset is that if the ball hits the 10, its going to travel into the endzone, on kickoffs that is. Punts are a different story altogether. 

Usually, but on the off-chance it doesn't it's a live ball, unlike a punt.

1 hour ago, Adamixoye said:

I feel the opposite, I feel like Hill is too cute with punts.  He has some small chance of breaking one but he'll hurt us on others.  I want him on kickoffs.

Tyreek hasn't returned a kickoff since his rookie season. 

11 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Tyreek hasn't returned a kickoff since his rookie season. 

Well, that's not really relevant to my point.

I looked up the stats and forgot just how many punt return TDs Hill has had (2 in 2016, 1 each in 2017-2018, has just one return for zero yards this year) and his averages were not bad.  So maybe he doesn't lose yardage as often as I feel like he does.

In that one year of returning kicks he had one TD and a nice average of more than 27 yards.

FWIW his one KR TD was in 14 returns.  He has 4 PR TDs in 85 returns, or one out of every 21.25.

9 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

That's why they just don't let it go and stay around it. No reason to catch and get to the 15.

You originally suggested that kickoffs that hit the 10 will sail into the endzone.  You're probably right most of the time, but the risk is huge for the odd bounce.  I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

Just now, Adamixoye said:

You originally suggested that kickoffs that hit the 10 will sail into the endzone.  You're probably right most of the time, but the risk is huge for the odd bounce.  I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

I still stand by not catching it at 10 or less. But it doesn't mean to ignore it like they do now days when it lands in the endzone. 

Just now, Chiefsfan1963 said:

I still stand by not catching it at 10 or less. But it doesn't mean to ignore it like they do now days when it lands in the endzone. 

I don't fully understand what the rules are for when it lands in the endzone, the officials seem to blow that dead pretty quickly the last few years.  But I don't think it's reasonable to suggest letting it go and hoping for the right bounce when it lands in play on a kickoff.

6 minutes ago, moons314 said:

Hardman has been an excellent returner, and eventually he's going to break one.  There's no reason to give his duties to Hill in a playoff game, especially since Hill has spent so much time this year banged up.  

Could be the last game of the year with a loss. Hill is a game breaker. Hardman is unproven. Teams fear Hill not so much Hardman. Playoffs are often decided by one big play or turnover.