Chiefs vs Bears

11 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

e 19-yard pass to Tyreek Hill on the first drive gives Patrick Mahomes these stats this season on 3rd or 4th and 18 or more:

9-of-10 for 220 yards, 5 first downs, 4 TDs and on interceptions. 

And then watching Trubisky throw a 5 yard pass in that same scenario down by 20 plus just made me remember how it used to be.not all that long ago. 

Bears fans watching Mahomes for the next 10-12 years will not be comfortable.

2 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

Bears fans watching Mahomes for the next 10-12 years will not be comfortable.

I have a buddy who is a ssn ticket holder in Chicago. He says thats all they talk about on sports radio up there. How they drafted Alex Smith II, while we drafted the mvp.

That check down on 4th and 22 yesterday gave me Smith flashbacks. 

**throws up in mouth**

11 hours ago, West said:

Yep....

We have been there and its ugly.  They passed up a generational talent.

w

To be fair...who had Mahomes pegged as a generational talent coming out of college? No one. Not one grading site had Mahomes rated higher than Trubisky. A lot of scouts had a 2nd round grade on Mahomes. I feel sorry for Trubisky. This storyline will follow him his whole career and it's not even his fault. He didn't draft himself. Just thankful the Chiefs swung for the fences. They could have struck out but they hit a monster homerun this time.

8 hours ago, dhitter said:

To be fair...who had Mahomes pegged as a generational talent coming out of college? No one. Not one grading site had Mahomes rated higher than Trubisky. A lot of scouts had a 2nd round grade on Mahomes. I feel sorry for Trubisky. This storyline will follow him his whole career and it's not even his fault. He didn't draft himself. Just thankful the Chiefs swung for the fences. They could have struck out but they hit a monster homerun this time.

I had Mahomes as the best QB in the class by far and was very loud and annoying about it. I think there were a few online analysts that did too but yeah most had Trubisky first.

What sucks worse for Chicago is Watson is better too, by a lot.  And they could have had one of the QBs the next year too.  So they didn't just pass on Mahomes.  

Mloe is right.  This truly is their Blackledge moment.

Sucks to be them.

9 hours ago, dhitter said:

Go back and look at the draft threads that year.  A lot of us had Mahomes picked as the best QB in the draft.

10 hours ago, dhitter said:

I had a hunch KC was looking at QBs that year in the draft and was hopeful they would get Mahomes.  I would've been happy with Watson but it was clear Mahomes had more upside.  I didn't want Trubisky because he had only played like 11 games in his college career before getting drafted.

Of course no one could predict/see Mahomes playing at a MVP level his first year starter, but you could see the athletic abilities shine in college and he was the one I wanted to take a shot on.

2 hours ago, SEMO said:

Go back and look at the draft threads that year.  A lot of us had Mahomes picked as the best QB in the draft.

Draft threads from fans is one thing. I too hoped the Chiefs would take Mahomes. A lot of draft sites had us maybe taking Watson. I didn't want Watson...I wanted Mahomes. But most every site I looked at that actually graded players as a course of business had Trubisky higher. I cannot fathom all  the "why's" but the whole Air Raid system thing, poor mechanics, not ever being under center, believing he could force throws into coverage, etc....all had to factor. Let's also acknowledge that Mahomes landed into the perfect spot for him with Reid and the skill players he has to work with. Pat would be good in Chicago (or wherever) but with less talent what are the numbers?

12 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Draft threads from fans is one thing. I too hoped the Chiefs would take Mahomes. A lot of draft sites had us maybe taking Watson. I didn't want Watson...I wanted Mahomes. But most every site I looked at that actually graded players as a course of business had Trubisky higher. I cannot fathom all  the "why's" but the whole Air Raid system thing, poor mechanics, not ever being under center, believing he could force throws into coverage, etc....all had to factor. Let's also acknowledge that Mahomes landed into the perfect spot for him with Reid and the skill players he has to work with. Pat would be good in Chicago (or wherever) but with less talent what are the numbers?

That's a point that the talking heads don't emphasize enough.  Mahomes, starting in Chicago with a different head coach and no Kelce or Hill, might not be the same player he is under Reid.  Giving him a year to sit under Smith was also big.  Trubisky isn't a bad as Bears' fans seem to think.  Sure, he suffers by comparison to who the Bears could have drafted, but he may be the guy who plays very well for a different team.  Like David Carr, who knows what a QB can be if he's with the right or wrong team?

12 hours ago, jetlord said:

That's a point that the talking heads don't emphasize enough.  Mahomes, starting in Chicago with a different head coach and no Kelce or Hill, might not be the same player he is under Reid.  Giving him a year to sit under Smith was also big.  Trubisky isn't a bad as Bears' fans seem to think.  Sure, he suffers by comparison to who the Bears could have drafted, but he may be the guy who plays very well for a different team.  Like David Carr, who knows what a QB can be if he's with the right or wrong team?

Agreed. When the Chiefs drafted Mahomes, I didn't know much about him, and was just excited about them drafting a QB in the 1st round, despite having Alex Smith. I was happy they were willing to take a risk, but also excited because they moved up to get him.  I thought for Reid and Co. to want to move up and give up draft picks, they saw something in him

I watched Mahomes highlights at Texas Tech after they drafted him, and knew the Chiefs offense would be explosive with the skill players the Chiefs had. I just figured he throw a lot of INT's.

When I heard about an interview with Mahomes,  he stated that one of the reasons he chose Football over baseball was, because he liked the strategy and chess match of football. That  told me that he was a thinking man, and looked at the game more deeper than some QB's. Now, I'm a Chiefs fan so my homersim surely formed this opinion, but I think there's something to that. 

I like your point of bringing up if Mahomes was drafted by the Bears , and how he would do. I have to ask, if Marino( the QB mahomes is sometimes compared to) had been drafted by the Chiefs in 83, instead of Blackledge, how would he have done with the Chiefs talent at the time, and Mackovich as coach vs. Shula?  The Dolphins had Duper & Clayton, but the Chiefs had Carlson.

On 12/24/2019 at 11:11 PM, qnet said:

I  like your point of bringing up if Mahomes was drafted by the Bears , and how he would do. I have to ask, if Marino( the QB mahomes is sometimes compared to) had been drafted by the Chiefs in 83, instead of Blackledge, how would he have done with the Chiefs talent at the time, and Mackovich as coach vs. Shula?  The Dolphins had Duper & Clayton, but the Chiefs had Carlson.

And yet Mahomes has as many SB wins as Marino. 😉

On 12/24/2019 at 6:21 AM, xen said:

I had Mahomes as the best QB in the class by far and was very loud and annoying about it. I think there were a few online analysts that did too but yeah most had Trubisky first.

What sucks worse for Chicago is Watson is better too, by a lot.  And they could have had one of the QBs the next year too.  So they didn't just pass on Mahomes.  

Mloe is right.  This truly is their Blackledge moment.

Sucks to be them.

Mahomes was the QB I really wanted. But didn't think we'd get him at 27. I was on vacation in Savannah. My son texted me that we moved up to 10 to get him. If you knew my son, I thought he was messing with me because he knew how bad I wanted Mahomes. Glad he wasn't on that day.