Titans in the first round

3 minutes ago, dksww said:

I actually wouldn't mind facing PIT in the 1st round(unless we get a bye), that way we can pound on them and send them home so they can see how it feels to try and win a game with a much inferior QB.

I feel you there. In the last 30 years how many playoff games have we actually had the clearly superior QB? Not many.  

11 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I feel you there. In the last 30 years how many playoff games have we actually had the clearly superior QB? Not many.  

2.  Last year with Mahomes.

Well, let me think on that.  Probably 1991 against OAK with DeBerg vs Marinovich.  Probably WC 1994 with Joe Montana vs PIT.  Not sure he was better than Jim Kelly and Warren Moon at the time either.  We beat HOU but got drubbed by BUF in the AFCCG.  After that, we never had the superior QB in any playoff games.

50 minutes ago, dksww said:

2.  Last year with Mahomes.

Well, let me think on that.  Probably 1991 against OAK with DeBerg vs Marinovich.  Probably WC 1994 with Joe Montana vs PIT.  Not sure he was better than Jim Kelly and Warren Moon at the time either.  We beat HOU but got drubbed by BUF in the AFCCG.  After that, we never had the superior QB in any playoff games.

Those games you mention we had better QB, we won too. Speaks volumes. I’d say Moon and Kelly were toss ups with the 36 year old Joe. And he didn’t even play the second half vs Buf. His last game was against Marino. 

Alex Smith was clearly better than Brian Hoyer though. And hence his lone playoff win. He did beat Brees in SF. So it doesn’t always hold up. 

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

Looking like it’s very possible now. We’ve lost three straight to them including two at Arrowhead. If we get to Miami it’s going to take one of the best months in franchise history.  

The announcers for the Saints/Titans game  just said that they could get in with two scenarios. A Pit loss next week against the Ravens or a win over the Texans. So I'm assuming they can get in even at 8-8? 

If the Chiefs do play them, I think they win this time.  

I agree with you that it will be a tough row, but just think how awesome that would be.

20 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

The 5 and 6 seed will be the same kind of team regardless who it is. Mediocre to bad QB with strong defense. If we cannot beat any of them, we obviously need Andy to go back to the drawing board.

Tannehill has been really good since taking over for Mariota.  20 TDs, 6 INTs completing over 70 percent of his passes. 

8 minutes ago, mex said:

Looks like they can get in at 8-8 as long as Pitt also loses to Balt. If they beat Hou next week, they're guaranteed a wild card. If both Tenn and Pitt lose, I think Tenn gets in on the same tie-breaking criteria used if they both win.

Yep, if BAL wins, the Titans will be coming to KC.........unless the Chiefs drop to #4 by losing to the Bears or Chargers.

5 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Yep, if BAL wins, the Titans will be coming to KC.........unless the Chiefs drop to #4 by losing to the Bears or Chargers.

Raiders fans are claiming.a scenario they can be the 6 seed still but I haven’t checked on that. 

17 minutes ago, jetlord said:

unless the Chiefs drop to #4 by losing to the Bears or Chargers.

Then we would still get a home game, vs Buff likely. At this point, I don't see much difference between playing Buff or Tenn. Especially if Derrick Henry gets healthy again

5 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Raiders fans are claiming.a scenario they can be the 6 seed still but I haven’t checked on that. 

not sure how... both Pitt and Tenn lost today... which means if Oak wins two straight and Pitt/Tenn both lose next week, they all finish at 8-8, with conference records of 6-6

then it comes down to common games (minimum 4) which makes it too complicated for me to want to make the effort :lol: 

44 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Don't see it.  If Tenn and PIT and OAK all finish 8-8, I think TENN gets the #6.  Could be wrong. 

According to CBS Sports here’s the scenario the Raiders get in if they win today. 

Week 17 

Raiders beat Broncos
Browns beat Bengals
Ravens beat Steelers
Texans beat Titans
Colts beat Jaguars

Another kind of strange scenario for the Titans is if we drop to the 4 seed they will play the Texans in the first round. The third time in four weeks the two teams will have played.  I would think the Texans cringe over that scenario. Hard enough to beat a team three times, much less three times in a month. 

21 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Another kind of strange scenario for the Titans is if we drop to the 4 seed they will play the Texans in the first round. The third time in four weeks the two teams will have played.  I would think the Texans cringe over that scenario. Hard enough to beat a team three times, much less three times in a month. 

we did that once with the raiders in the 90's IIRC... didn't go well for the raiders :lol: 

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Hard enough to beat a team three times, much less three times in a month. 

This is a myth.  Teams that sweep the regular season series win third matchup in the playoffs about 2/3rds of the time.

https://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/28800/panthers-saints-its-not-as-tough-beating-team-three-times-as-the-cliche-says