And to think.

10 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

ATT, the Chiefs would put up 31 points with Mahomes throwing for 174 yds 1 TD and 1 int.

I've yet to watch the game, but looking at the Gamecast on ESPN was getting frustrated the offense wasn't moving the ball at times. It's nice to see the other guys step up, and it seems like Mahomes to Hill bomb can always happen against any team. For some reason the Chargers this season sort of had Mahomes number, but he still made plays when it counted. 

16 minutes ago, qnet said:

I've yet to watch the game, but looking at the Gamecast on ESPN was getting frustrated the offense wasn't moving the ball at times. It's nice to see the other guys step up, and it seems like Mahomes to Hill bomb can always happen against any team. For some reason the Chargers this season sort of had Mahomes number, but he still made plays when it counted. 

The offense moved the ball okay for my taste.  Not great, not terrible.  The INT, Hardman KR TD, and WIlliams' long TD run suppressed the volume stats for Mahomes and kept us from getting in a nice rhythm, but we had multiple sustained drives and scored when we needed to.

1 hour ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

That many in here wanted the Chiefs to rest their starters, because you know there is no way Miami wins in Foxborough. 😜

I'm surprised but not shocked that Miami won.  It's why we had to play it out today.  We'll see if it cost us Thornhill or not.  It's crass but it might have been worth it for the bye and HFA in Round 2.

16 minutes ago, Burpo The Mad Clown said:

Well, yeah, but that fails to take into account that the teams earning a bye are the better teams to begin with, Thus, they played their way into a bye week. 

There's no doubt that the better teams tend to play themselves into the bye.  But there's more to it than that.  A bye week followed by a home game is a huge advantage this time of year. 

16 hours ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

That many in here wanted the Chiefs to rest their starters, because you know there is no way Miami wins in Foxborough. 😜

Show me people that wanted to rest the starters with that game still in jeopardy. Most people, myself included, would’ve sat a questionable player or emptied benches had the Patriots game been out of reasonable reach. It absolutely would not have been worth losing Juan Thornhill if the game meant nothing. Texans has zero to play for and wisely did this. Not real hard to figure out. 

5 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

There's no doubt that the better teams tend to play themselves into the bye.  But there's more to it than that.  A bye week followed by a home game is a huge advantage this time of year. 

Andy Reid is 5-1 following postseason bye week. As Mahomes said yesterday it’s basically a free win.  Anything can happen in this league so you take the free win whenever you can get it.

15 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Show me people that wanted to rest the starters with that game still in jeopardy. Most people, myself included, would’ve sat a questionable player or emptied benches had the Patriots game been out of reasonable reach. It absolutely would not have been worth losing Juan Thornhill if the game meant nothing. Texans has zero to play for and wisely did this. Not real hard to figure out. 

I didn't want to rest the starters, but not because I really thought we had a shot at the 2 seed.  I just didn't want the 4 seed. 

1 hour ago, Burpo The Mad Clown said:

Well, yeah, but that fails to take into account that the teams earning a bye are the better teams to begin with, Thus, they played their way into a bye week. 

Did you...did you read the tweet?

"Based on historically similar teams."  Team quality (based on measures other than just W-L) is already taken into account and factored out.  If team quality is factored back in, the stats are even stronger, as you would expect, but that wouldn't tell us something we don't already know.

Most of the improved chances are based on not having to play an extra game and playing Round 2 at home.

34 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I didn't want to rest the starters, but not because I really thought we had a shot at the 2 seed.  I just didn't want the 4 seed. 

I agree with you, although his point is that we were never really in danger of slipping to the 4.  We gambled on the long shot of NE losing and it paid off.  Our chances of getting to the AFCCG are now significantly higher, but if it cost us Thornhill our chances of winning it all have probably dipped a bit.

6 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

I agree with you, although his point is that we were never really in danger of slipping to the 4.  We gambled on the long shot of NE losing and it paid off.  Our chances of getting to the AFCCG are now significantly higher, but if it cost us Thornhill our chances of winning it all have probably dipped a bit.

We absolutely were in danger of that.  If we sat starters and lost that game, the Texans would have played their starters and had a real shot of finishing with identical 11-5 records with them having the head to head tie breaker. 

1 minute ago, reesebobby said:

We absolutely were in danger of that.  If we sat starters and lost that game, the Texans would have played their starters and had a real shot of finishing with identical 11-5 records with them having the head to head tie breaker. 

I understand the math and the scenarios, but they announced they were sitting starters before our game started, so are you suggesting they would have reversed course and made literally a last-minute game-time decision to put them back in?  Seems unlikely.  I think the 3 vs. the 4 just didn't matter to them.

Just now, Adamixoye said:

I understand the math and the scenarios, but they announced they were sitting starters before our game started, so are you suggesting they would have reversed course and made literally a last-minute game-time decision to put them back in?  Seems unlikely.  I think the 3 vs. the 4 just didn't matter to them.

Smoke Screen? I think they would have played to win.

1 minute ago, Adamixoye said:

I'm saying we were in danger of the 4th seed.  In the same way the Patriots were in danger of the 3 seed.  Unless there's nothing to play for, you play for seeding.  I felt there was a higher probability of slipping to 4 than jumping to 2, but I didn't want to play backups in a game with potential seeding implications. 

Just now, FANATIC said:

Smoke Screen? I think they would have played to win.

There is plenty of historical precedent for teams punting on seeding if a bye or tangible HFA (not hypothetical down-the-road HFA) are not at stake.

I can't think of a precedent for when a team announced they were resting starters and decided to play them based on what happened that day.