He has had a pretty good year. Those PFF stats mean very little.

Breeland hands down is by far the best CB we have. #2 is debatable. Ward for sure has a lot of snaps and tight coverage. He has also given up 7 first downs and 66 yards in penalties. I think Fenton has played well as has Fuller of recent, but those guys don’t have near the snap count.

Breeland and Ward are a solid set of starters. I would like to see Ward clean up those holding penalties though. I don’t think he needs to do that as much as he does. 

43 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Breeland hands down is by far the best CB we have. #2 is debatable. Ward for sure has a lot of snaps and tight coverage. He has also given up 7 first downs and 66 yards in penalties. I think Fenton has played well as has Fuller of recent, but those guys don’t have near the snap count.

Breeland and Ward are a solid set of starters. I would like to see Ward clean up those holding penalties though. I don’t think he needs to do that as much as he does. 

Spags has literally been leaving Ward without safety help on opponents top WRs with regularity.  Breeland isn’t in his league. 

2 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

The only major disappointment at CB to me is Fuller. They have done pretty well considering how terrible we were last year.

And he’s been hurt much of the year. Still only 24 he posted his best game of the season in Chicago playing a lot of single high safety. He’s really gonna be needed now. 

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

You down grade ward for sione penalties but put Breeland higher who had more penalties. I don't understand your thought process here? 

Ward is our best CB and has had a good year.  I believe he will continue to get better too.

He's given up 7 first downs in 631 passing snaps. That's a very good percentage for something you are trying to knock him on.  And only 66 yards in penalties in 631 snaps. Also a very good percentage.  

You might want to find a different way to knock ward down.  Because you failed miserably here. 

4 hours ago, Palangi said:

You down grade ward for sione penalties but put Breeland higher who had more penalties. I don't understand your thought process here? 

Ward is our best CB and has had a good year.  I believe he will continue to get better too.

He's given up 7 first downs in 631 passing snaps. That's a very good percentage for something you are trying to knock him on.  And only 66 yards in penalties in 631 snaps. Also a very good percentage.  

You might want to find a different way to knock ward down.  Because you failed miserably here. 

Your right. I didn’t realize that. Twice as many. I wasn’t trying to knock either of them down. I said they were both solid starters. 

4 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Spags has literally been leaving Ward without safety help on opponents top WRs with regularity.  Breeland isn’t in his league. 

Yeah, fair point. Not the first stupid thing I have said. Either way. I think the scheme and safety play is part of it, but these two have been very good. #8 pass defense is quite a change from last year. 

20 hours ago, DieHard said:

Yeah, fair point. Not the first stupid thing I have said. Either way. I think the scheme and safety play is part of it, but these two have been very good. #8 pass defense is quite a change from last year. 

Those two safeties are the glue of this defense. Concerning to lose Thornhill. 

Can you imagine our issue at CB if Ward regressed and Fenton didn't show any positives?    I mean we still have an issue to fix there but at least we have an above avg outside corner and another one with upside.   Credit to Ward for working his tail off and making himself a very very good db in the NFL.   Hope he has lots more room to grow!

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

Ward has given up quite a few first downs but he sure is solid in the endzone. He started the year a bit inconsistent but has been really good later on. Looks like we have a legit starter in our hands for the future. 

7 first downs in 631 passing snaps? That's quite a few? Or a negative? 

1 minute ago, Palangi said:

7 first downs in 631 passing snaps? That's quite a few? Or a negative? 

Does that include the penalties as well? Nevertheless some plays stay in mind over others and Ward has been in quite a few of those to begin the season.