Dorsey out as GM in Cleveland

6 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Yea sure I'll play..wen MVPat can make other than from his players contract or his wife makes and additional $45 Mil a year or becomes worth $400 Mill  he MIGHT take a pay cut

At no point did I suggest this was going to happen, I've even said it's a long shot.  But for some reason some of you get extremely convinced that a person would make the same decisions that you would and can't even entertain possibilities.

36 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

At no point did I suggest this was going to happen, I've even said it's a long shot.  But for some reason some of you get extremely convinced that a person would make the same decisions that you would and can't even entertain possibilities.

Some are just too rigid in their thinking

I have the insight on what really happened that got him fired as GM.  My wife's cousin's, brother-in-law's second cousin, twice removed, knows the sister of the cousin of the nephew of the next door neighbor of the janitor.  The owner of the team found Dorsey trying to signup a guy on the practice squad, who had been cut twice, and returned each time to an eight year, $8.8 million dollar contract.  What tipped the owner off is he found that DE that got suspended and that CB Ward dancing a jig outside of Dorsey's office because they knew what was going on in the office and they were next in line .

No one knows what he will do and everyone has a right to get paid accordingly.  However if he has his eyes set on being the GOAT.....and he has a legit chance.   Then I could see him working out a deal that would help the team keep talent around him.    I won't judge him either way.    

20 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

NBA players do it all the time.  If they wanted to make the most money, they would stay with the teams that have their Bird rights.  But many of them move to take less in order to win and/or play in a bigger market.  And that bigger market affects their endorsement potential, usually.

You can argue an NFL player wouldn't do the same, but Tom Brady has been providing a (slight) discount for years.

We're not really disagreeing by much.  You are saying any discount is impossible.  I am saying a small discount is very unlikely but possible.  And we're also unlikely to ever know whether or not he gets 100% of what he could have had or something less.

The best barometer is not the NBA or Tom Brady and his uber wealthy wife. The best measure is "what is the norm for star QBs signing new deals". If you are telling me the general rule is the QB gives his team a discount and you can back that up with evidence...then I will agree with your original premise. 

6 minutes ago, dhitter said:

The best barometer is not the NBA or Tom Brady and his uber wealthy wife. The best measure is "what is the norm for star QBs signing new deals". If you are telling me the general rule is the QB gives his team a discount and you can back that up with evidence...then I will agree with your original premise. 

But at no point did I say that.  You can't twist my point and then make me defend it.  What I pointed out is that there are examples across sports and at least one example in football (Brady).  There are particulars that may not translate to Mahomes, I get that.  But it's enough to say that it's possible.  I agree it's far from likely.  We're arguing about, I don't know, maybe 5% possible vs. 0% possible.

1 minute ago, Adamixoye said:

But at no point did I say that.  You can't twist my point and then make me defend it.  What I pointed out is that there are examples across sports and at least one example in football (Brady).  There are particulars that may not translate to Mahomes, I get that.  But it's enough to say that it's possible.  I agree it's far from likely.  We're arguing about, I don't know, maybe 5% possible vs. 0% possible.

The norm is the QB gets the best deal he can get and is willing to sign. I expect the same thing will be true of Mahomes.

1 minute ago, dhitter said:

The norm is the QB gets the best deal he can get and is willing to sign. I expect the same thing will be true of Mahomes.

We agree that's the norm and that's also what I would expect.

I disagree that "the norm" means there is zero chance that Mahomes (or anyone else) might break the mold and do something different.

I think the argument should actually be....

Is Mahommes smart enough to look at what Brady has done, and say, hey, if I want to be the goat, then they have to be able to bring players in around me, so do I go for a cap breaking contract, or one that will still set me up for life, and keep being able to compete for a superbowl.  The kid is bright, and I have no doubt, he will understand all that, but, in that respect, he's still getting 200 Million

57 minutes ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

I think the argument should actually be....

Is Mahommes smart enough to look at what Brady has done, and say, hey, if I want to be the goat, then they have to be able to bring players in around me, so do I go for a cap breaking contract, or one that will still set me up for life, and keep being able to compete for a superbowl.  The kid is bright, and I have no doubt, he will understand all that, but, in that respect, he's still getting 200 Million

At one point Brady was the highest paid player in NFL history. It wasn’t until his mid 30s did these extensions start to show a hometown discount. Even still at 42 his CAP hit this year is still 21 million.  
Mahomes is going to be the highest paid player in NFL history very soon. Contract over 200 million is almost a certainty but most importantly that guarantee is likely going to be over 150 million. They can however keep his CAP number reasonable the next two years.  After that he’s likely gonna near a 40 million dollar cap hit. Good news is the salary cap itself is also expected to dramatically rise with new tv/streaming rights contract and CBA.  
On point though Mahomes didn’t hire Leigh Stenberg to give a hometown discount. This contract will need to be creative.  

7 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

At one point Brady was the highest paid player in NFL history. It wasn’t until his mid 30s did these extensions start to show a hometown discount. Even still at 42 his CAP hit this year is still 21 million.  
Mahomes is going to be the highest paid player in NFL history very soon. Contract over 200 million is almost a certainty but most importantly that guarantee is likely going to be over 150 million. They can however keep his CAP number reasonable the next two years.  After that he’s likely gonna near a 40 million dollar cap hit. Good news is the salary cap itself is also expected to dramatically rise with new tv/streaming rights contract and CBA.  
On point though Mahomes didn’t hire Leigh Stenberg to give a hometown discount. This contract will need to be creative.  

I would offer Mahomes 100 million for 15 years as a starting point.  And then promise to find a Victoria's Secret for him to marry. 

22 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

NBA players do it all the time.  If they wanted to make the most money, they would stay with the teams that have their Bird rights.  But many of them move to take less in order to win and/or play in a bigger market.  And that bigger market affects their endorsement potential, usually.

You can argue an NFL player wouldn't do the same, but Tom Brady has been providing a (slight) discount for years.

We're not really disagreeing by much.  You are saying any discount is impossible.  I am saying a small discount is very unlikely but possible.  And we're also unlikely to ever know whether or not he gets 100% of what he could have had or something less.

Durant left money on the table when he went from OKC to Golden State then took a pay cut of almost 10 million to help keep the team that won it all together.  Duncan was said to do the same thing, take less than the max allowed to add players that would help them win.

If anything I could see Mahomes going  the Jordan route.   Jordan was always around the top paid guy but wasn’t always the top paid guy until his final 2 years with Chicago.  He became a billionaire from his endorsements.   I could see Mahomes doing something close to that.  Doing a deal that pays him close 37 to 38 a year  instead of the 40 to 45 million a year that’s being rumored and the guaranteed money around 130 to 140  but still making him the highest paid if it’s only for a year or 2 cause one of the other young QBs will come along and want more.     

Granted I know very little about the guy personally but he doesn’t strike me as the kind of guy that will really care if he is the top paid or not as long as he is close cause he probably already knows his legacy won’t be defined by how much he makes but how many SBs he has won and he knows he can’t do it alone.  

18 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I would offer Mahomes 100 million for 15 years as a starting point.  And then promise to find a Victoria's Secret for him to marry. 

Lol. He’s already got a fiancé. But from what I hear she does have a thriving internet based apparel business.  

On 12/31/2019 at 7:05 PM, dhitter said:

Dorsey let Baker Mayfield influence his decision to hire Kitchens...a guy with no head coaching experience and it bit him hard. Kitchens was a bad choice both from an Xs and Os level as well as how he handled himself and the team in the public eye. I would be shocked if they hired EB since he has no head coaching experience. They would more likely be looking for a Mike McCarthy type hire IMO.

Kitchens' playcalling and formation sets were the shit of nightmares this year for Cleveland and Mayfield.  He repeatedly called long developing play after long developing play despite the fact that Cleveland's offensive line is awful.  Mayfield is at his best when he is in shotgun picking apart defenses in the spread, and Kitchens did literally the opposite of that this season.

He deserved to be fired for his offensive system alone.  Throw in the other stuff in addition to losing their asses off, it was a no-brainer.

9 hours ago, BroncoStud said:

Kitchens' playcalling and formation sets were the shit of nightmares this year for Cleveland and Mayfield.  He repeatedly called long developing play after long developing play despite the fact that Cleveland's offensive line is awful.  Mayfield is at his best when he is in shotgun picking apart defenses in the spread, and Kitchens did literally the opposite of that this season.

He deserved to be fired for his offensive system alone.  Throw in the other stuff in addition to losing their asses off, it was a no-brainer.

Astute and correct.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 9:54 AM, Okiechief1 said:

Durant left money on the table when he went from OKC to Golden State then took a pay cut of almost 10 million to help keep the team that won it all together.  Duncan was said to do the same thing, take less than the max allowed to add players that would help them win.

If anything I could see Mahomes going  the Jordan route.   Jordan was always around the top paid guy but wasn’t always the top paid guy until his final 2 years with Chicago.  He became a billionaire from his endorsements.   I could see Mahomes doing something close to that.  Doing a deal that pays him close 37 to 38 a year  instead of the 40 to 45 million a year that’s being rumored and the guaranteed money around 130 to 140  but still making him the highest paid if it’s only for a year or 2 cause one of the other young QBs will come along and want more.     

Granted I know very little about the guy personally but he doesn’t strike me as the kind of guy that will really care if he is the top paid or not as long as he is close cause he probably already knows his legacy won’t be defined by how much he makes but how many SBs he has won and he knows he can’t do it alone.  

This is my view of him as well.  He is already set for life from his commercials from the ones he has done and will do in the future.  I could be wrong, and it certainly will not be the 1st time, but I do not believe he is the kind of person that will break the bank with contract demands.  Just from interviews I have seen with him, I do believe that he is more concerned with the team winning the SB than the being the highest paid QB.  Getting a high paid contract, sure!  but not the highest.  He will want the tools and protection around him.  JMHO

2 hours ago, NCK Chiefs Fan said:

This is my view of him as well.  He is already set for life from his commercials from the ones he has done and will do in the future.  I could be wrong, and it certainly will not be the 1st time, but I do not believe he is the kind of person that will break the bank with contract demands.  Just from interviews I have seen with him, I do believe that he is more concerned with the team winning the SB than the being the highest paid QB.  Getting a high paid contract, sure!  but not the highest.  He will want the tools and protection around him.  JMHO

He has an agent that will do his job

Agent has to make money and get the best deal. It affects him with other players who may sign with him if he does not. That is unless Mahomes publicly states differently.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

He has an agent that will do his job

Agent has to make money and get the best deal. It affects him with other players who may sign woth him if he does not. That is unless Mahomes publicly states differently.

Exactly. Mahomes hired Leigh Steinberg for a reason.