offseason plans

Ok.  I"ll be that guy.  The one who is always looking forward to the off season.    So, i think it's pretty much a given that they cut Watkins and Sorenson.   I'm a fan of cutting LDT as well.   Those moves give them close to 40 million in cap space.   Time to re-sign Mahomes, Re-sign one of the corners(Breeland or Fuller).  I also like bringing back Robinson, Xavier Williams and one of the veteran QB's.   Hopefully Speaks, Okafor and Thornhill all recover from their injuries.   I think the Chiefs franchise tag and then trade Chris Jones.  I love the idea of loading up on draft picks to keep the young talent level replenished.  AFter the success of Veachs last draft, why not give him more picks?    Saunders plays more, helping to replace Jones.   Darwin Thompson takes over McCoys snaps.   Ward, Fenton and whichever cb they re-sign are the starters there.   I'd love to see them add a proven interior lineman and a back up linebacker/4th corner.   Then in the draft, go heavy offensive line, along with a back up TE and some linebackers.  

The whole interior of the offensive line needs replaced.  If rankins comes back healthy I think he is one of the guard starters but another guard and a center need to be brought in.  LDT needs to be traded or cut. Reiter can goi back to being the backup.  

LT- Fisher,  Senat

LG- Rankins, wylie

C - ???,  Reiter

RG- ???, Erving

RT- Schwartz, Barton 

38 minutes ago, Calichief said:

1.INTERIOR OLINE is a must. x2 

2. line backer 

3. backup tight-end

4. db - this group has grown immensely  

5. Rb (although I think thompson should be given the chance) 

6. left tackle of the future 

7. wr 

Could Greg Senat be the future LT? Super athletic kid with good size and length

The O-line is critical, but unless the Wisconsin center (Badass?) falls to the Chiefs, they could wait for day two to start replacing it.  Grab the top LB in the first round and use the next  four picks for a CB, two interior linemen, and a RB.  If that requires reaching, there's need of a backup TE and a WR assuming Watkins is gone and maybe Robinson as well.  Probably the Chiefs will have two fourth round picks after the compensatory picks are awarded.  Fifth and sixth rounds go for development or backup players.  Probably don't need to use a pick, but I'd replace Colquit with a cheaper and younger punter.  All of the above could go out the window depending on free agency.  It would also be interesting to know how the staff views Alligretti and whether he fits into future O-line plans.

16 minutes ago, jetlord said:

The O-line is critical, but unless the Wisconsin center (Badass?) falls to the Chiefs, they could wait for day two to start replacing it.  Grab the top LB in the first round and use the next  four picks for a CB, two interior linemen, and a RB.  If that requires reaching, there's need of a backup TE and a WR assuming Watkins is gone and maybe Robinson as well.  Probably the Chiefs will have two fourth round picks after the compensatory picks are awarded.  Fifth and sixth rounds go for development or backup players.  Probably don't need to use a pick, but I'd replace Colquit with a cheaper and younger punter.  All of the above could go out the window depending on free agency.  It would also be interesting to know how the staff views Alligretti and whether he fits into future O-line plans.

The Wisconsin/ Oregon game will be interesting. You mentioned the Wisconsin center.  But pay attention to the Oregon center as well, Jake Hanson. Her is a good one as I'd a second round grade.  Could improve to a a late first rounder with a good game.  He is big 6'5" 305. 

Also watch the RT for Oregon Calvin throckmorton.  He has played center too. And is 6'5" 320

Don't forget Ogbah, he was doing good things before his injury as well

I live outside of DC and i don't  think they let Scherrf just walk out the door but he would be a great addition to protect Mahomes

something else i have thought about, what about bringing Hunt back to KC...he is a FA now and our running game has sucked since he left

30 minutes ago, ChiefsFoolFan said:

Did we trade all of the picks we got for Dee Ford to Seattle for Clark?  I knew at one time, but forgot.

How many draft picks do we have this year?

No. We had a 2nd round last year from the Ford trade and a 2nd this year we used in the Clark trade. Thing is we get the better oick between the SF and KC 2nd rounders with the lower of the 2 going to Seattle.

12 hours ago, beltranfan said:

Ok.  I"ll be that guy.  The one who is always looking forward to the off season.    So, i think it's pretty much a given that they cut Watkins and Sorenson.   I'm a fan of cutting LDT as well.   Those moves give them close to 40 million in cap space.   Time to re-sign Mahomes, Re-sign one of the corners(Breeland or Fuller).  I also like bringing back Robinson, Xavier Williams and one of the veteran QB's.   Hopefully Speaks, Okafor and Thornhill all recover from their injuries.   I think the Chiefs franchise tag and then trade Chris Jones.  I love the idea of loading up on draft picks to keep the young talent level replenished.  AFter the success of Veachs last draft, why not give him more picks?    Saunders plays more, helping to replace Jones.   Darwin Thompson takes over McCoys snaps.   Ward, Fenton and whichever cb they re-sign are the starters there.   I'd love to see them add a proven interior lineman and a back up linebacker/4th corner.   Then in the draft, go heavy offensive line, along with a back up TE and some linebackers.  

Agreed cut watkins, sorenson, and ldt. I have no interest in bringing back fuller or Robinson or xavier williams. I would only bring breelund back on a short cheap deal. Hitchens should be cut as well.

do everything possible to bring back chris jones, and extend mahomes. We are lucky in the sense we have several guys making good money that could be replaced with equal talent by guys making almost nothing, although it hurts us to waste that money currently.

10 hours ago, Palangi said:

The Wisconsin/ Oregon game will be interesting. You mentioned the Wisconsin center.  But pay attention to the Oregon center as well, Jake Hanson. Her is a good one as I'd a second round grade.  Could improve to a a late first rounder with a good game.  He is big 6'5" 305. 

Also watch the RT for Oregon Calvin throckmorton.  He has played center too. And is 6'5" 320

My general draft philosophy is that the first round can be used for skill players and linemen, with the possible exception of OTs can be had in the second and third rounds.  Guess it's better to draft a "can't miss" lineman in the first rather than to whiff on a CB or WR, but in general, there's less drop off among O-linemen than other positions.  Maybe someone can correct me, but isn't it likely that the Chiefs will be awarded a compensatory pick, probably a fourth?   

The Alabama/ Michigan game also has a couple lineman prospects we should be looking at. 

Michigan

Ben Bredeson 6'4" 325 guard

Michael Onwenu 6'3" 350 Guard

Jon Runyan 6'5" 320 T/G

Alabama

Leatherwood 6'6" 315 T

Jerick Willis 6'4" 325 T/G

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

My general draft philosophy is that the first round can be used for skill players and linemen, with the possible exception of OTs can be had in the second and third rounds.  Guess it's better to draft a "can't miss" lineman in the first rather than to whiff on a CB or WR, but in general, there's less drop off among O-linemen than other positions.  Maybe someone can correct me, but isn't it likely that the Chiefs will be awarded a compensatory pick, probably a fourth?   

Well drafting back of each round we are pretty much getting that O line guy as a 2nd rounder etc. I would be fine drafting one end of 1st round as we have gone after a center before mid 2nd round and it worked out with Hudson and Morse. If the guy is good then it is worth it imo.

4 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Agreed cut watkins, sorenson, and ldt. I have no interest in bringing back fuller or Robinson or xavier williams. I would only bring breelund back on a short cheap deal. Hitchens should be cut as well.

do everything possible to bring back chris jones, and extend mahomes. We are lucky in the sense we have several guys making good money that could be replaced with equal talent by guys making almost nothing, although it hurts us to waste that money currently.

According to "Over the Cap," it would cost over $12.6 million to cut Hitchens and only save us $52,500.  I bet he stays. 

17 hours ago, beltranfan said:

Well done. Although I’d resign Chris Jones.  But if his contract demands get too out of control tag and trade is certainly an option. I’m not content with our RB situation either.  And we’ve got to get another red zone target for Mahomes.  
I think 13-14 wins is possible with some injury luck and a strong offseason. 

49 minutes ago, SarcasticOne said:

According to "Over the Cap," it would cost over $12.6 million to cut Hitchens and only save us $52,500.  I bet he stays. 

Omfg you are absolutely right, i just assumed a player like hitchens would be cuttable after year two, thats how players like him are usually structured. Regardless they contracts are usually not reported verbatim and i would be willing to bet we can get out from hitchens. For instance last year no one thought berry was cutable.

whoever masterminded this hitchens deal needs their brain examined

2 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Omfg you are absolutely right, i just assumed a player like hitchens would be cuttable after year two, thats how players like him are usually structured. Regardless they contracts are usually not reported verbatim and i would be willing to bet we can get out from hitchens. For instance last year no one thought berry was cutable.

whoever masterminded this hitchens deal needs their brain examined

He is if he is designated as a post june 1st cut, I believe. He has a 12 million dollar cap number next year. That's not in line with his productivity at all. Although he had his best game of the year last Sunday.

Since the draft was brought up, what does everyone think about the 'Bama LB, Moses.  He was their best LB and got hurt before the season started.  Is he damaged goods, how far will he slip, and should the Chiefs take a chance on him on the second day if he does? 

52 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Since the draft was brought up, what does everyone think about the 'Bama LB, Moses.  He was their best LB and got hurt before the season started.  Is he damaged goods, how far will he slip, and should the Chiefs take a chance on him on the second day if he does? 

I think he announced he's going back to Bama 

Here is a LB to keep an eye on. and if he is around when we pick in round 2 I think we should jump on it.  

William Gay JR Mississippi state LB 6'2" 240

This kid is electric,  fast,  and nasty.  Unfortunately for him he is like that off the field too. As he has been suspended by the coach previously.  Had academic issues. And most recently got into an altercation with their QB during bowl preparation.  Causing the QB to not be able to play for (rumor) broken orbital bone.  But I think with guys like Frank Clark and Tyronn Mathieu over there hr would be kept in check and focused.  He's also the son of William Gay, the safety from the Steelers.  

7590212.jpg

10 hours ago, SarcasticOne said:

Yep Veach's only really bad miss this offseason was restructuring him.....we haven't even used that money.