offseason plans

43 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Etienne thread in the draft forum

hes my favorite college player

hes going late round 1 in all the mocks 

I saw one where he fell to bottom of 2nd and thought this is a dumb mock draft.   I like the kid a lot but can't warrant drafting him that high especially when we need long term solutions at IOL, DB and LB and we've been known to find stud later in the draft.

6 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I saw one where he fell to bottom of 2nd and thought this is a dumb mock draft.   I like the kid a lot but can't warrant drafting him that high especially when we need long term solutions at IOL, DB and LB and we've been known to find stud later in the draft.

Yep.

So the Bengals resigned Hopkins to a good sized contract.  He plays center for them. I wonder if they would be open to a Sammy Watkins for Billy Price swap?  I know price has struggled since being drafted.  But he I'd only in year 2. And is young.  A change of scenery could be useful.  He could be an answer to our center issue.  And could come compete with Allegretti. 

Thus allowing us to use draft pick in other areas. 

4 hours ago, Palangi said:

So the Bengals resigned Hopkins to a good sized contract.  He plays center for them. I wonder if they would be open to a Sammy Watkins for Billy Price swap?  I know price has struggled since being drafted.  But he I'd only in year 2. And is young.  A change of scenery could be useful.  He could be an answer to our center issue.  And could come compete with Allegretti. 

Getting rid of a definite cut for a young prospect would be a huge win but I don't know if Bengals would be up for it. Doesn't hurt to ask though.

On 1/7/2020 at 1:01 AM, Palangi said:

Sammie has the highest cap hit of any WR in the league and it gets worse next year. They would be better served just waiting for us to cut him. 

2 hours ago, DieHard said:

Sammie has the highest cap hit of any WR in the league and it gets worse next year. They would be better served just waiting for us to cut him. 

There is no guarantee for them that way.  They could rework his deal once they get him too. But with a rookie QB coming in ther money isn't a huge issue for them.  But getting a proven veteran is.  

3 hours ago, Palangi said:

There is no guarantee for them that way.  They could rework his deal once they get him too. But with a rookie QB coming in ther money isn't a huge issue for them.  But getting a proven veteran is.  

I wouldn’t touch it. 

I am not turning loose of a quality young asset on a cheap contract to assume a $13+ million salary in the hopes that he gives me a good deal. He would hold you hostage to buck up or take the money and leave next year. Think about it. 
Maybe if you are desperate and one 600 yard injury prone WR away from a Super Bowl. But these guys are 2-14. 

3 hours ago, DieHard said:

I am not turning loose of a quality young asset on a cheap contract to assume a $13+ million salary in the hopes that he gives me a good deal. He would hold you hostage to buck up or take the money and leave next year. Think about it. 
Maybe if you are desperate and one 600 yard injury prone WR away from a Super Bowl. But these guys are 2-14. 

The way he started the season a trade was gonna be possible. Just let him go out and negotiate a new deal first. Why would someone give up anything now is beyond me unless he has a huge postseason and helps us win the Super Bowl.  

On 1/9/2020 at 7:57 AM, Palangi said:

He is a non factor. Almost a waste of a roster spot. He has the MVP at QB and his results a awful. Cut him so others can step up.

2 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

The way he started the season a trade was gonna be possible. Just let him go out and negotiate a new deal first. Why would someone give up anything now is beyond me unless he has a huge postseason and helps us win the Super Bowl.  

He needs to be cut regardless.. Way too much money. Jones or Watkins. Easy choice.

3 hours ago, DieHard said:

And need help for a rookie QB coming in. Price is a backup for them. They just resigned Hopkins to a big contract. And again Watkins is an asset when you QB is in his rookie contract. 

12 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

He needs to be cut regardless.. Way too much money. Jones or Watkins. Easy choice.

I’m not saying we keep him. I’m saying if he tears it up in the Super Bowl ala Larry Brown maybe there’s a Raiders type dumb organization out there who might trade something for him. 

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

I’m not saying we keep him. I’m saying if he tears it up in the Super Bowl ala Larry Brown maybe there’s a Raiders type dumb organization out there who might trade something for him. 

Dream on. No one is taking on that contract. 

2 hours ago, Palangi said:

And need help for a rookie QB coming in. Price is a backup for them. They just resigned Hopkins to a big contract. And again Watkins is an asset when you QB is in his rookie contract. 

OK, I guess it’s a done deal then. Great for us. I am good with it.

35 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Dream on. No one is taking on that contract. 

They aren’t taking much. One year 13 million.  Had he gone for 1000 yards and 10 TDs it was doable.  If he goes off in January we’ve seen team way overpay for those types before. No doubt the chances of this are very slim. 

10 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

They aren’t taking much. One year 13 million.  Had he gone for 1000 yards and 10 TDs it was doable.  If he goes off in January we’ve seen team way overpay for those types before. No doubt the chances of this are very slim. 

13 million is a huge contract for a guy that has been ON A MILK CARTON the last 10 weeks or so on perhaps the best offense in the league.. Teams will wait....knowing he gets cut....then offer him a one year prove it deal.