Mahomes contract

I know there are many other things to talk about and this can wait, but it’s been on my mind...

everyone is saying how mahomes will break the bank, everyone.

he seems like a guy who will put winning first, I truly do 

with all the money he’s going to make in endorsements (probably record breaking), I could really see him taking less to win..

does anyone else think this is a possibility?

especially if they fail to win this year

I think he will kinda do both....

I think he will become the highest paid QB by a million or so with a very high guarantee instead of going after some contract that’s 10 or so million higher than the current highest paid QB.

3 hours ago, Calichief said:

I know there are many other things to talk about and this can wait, but it’s been on my mind...

with all the money he’s going to make in endorsements (probably record breaking), I could really see him taking less to win..

No.  He will be the highest paid player in NFL history. Look at whatever the biggest contract a QB has ever gotten is...then add more.

9 hours ago, Calichief said:

NO

I'm thinking there already has been an agreement not to do the contract thing until the next TV Contract comes about to not decimate the team.. but I also expect a high guarantee with an average of 45 Mil a year. I hope Hunt/Veach and Company are smart enough not to let this get adversarial.. the fan base will go ape shit 

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

I'm thinking there already has been an agreement not to do the contract thing until the next TV Contract comes about to not decimate the team.. but I also expect a high guarantee with an average of 45 Mil a year. I hope Hunt/Veach and Company are smart enough not to let this get adversarial.. the fan base will go ape shit 

He just seems different. I don’t see him putting the team in a bad spot.

A guy on the radio said that Pat might be the first to have a salary that is a percent of the cap. So as the cap grows his salary grows. Interesting thought and never been done. Something like 20% fully guaranteed for 5 years with options to extend I guess. They weren’t real specific about how it would work

4 hours ago, DieHard said:

A guy on the radio said that Pat might be the first to have a salary that is a percent of the cap. So as the cap grows his salary grows. Interesting thought and never been done. Something like 20% fully guaranteed for 5 years with options to extend I guess. They weren’t real specific about how it would work

I'm not 100% sure, but I assume that if this were allowed by the current CBA we already would have seen it.  Maybe it will be in the next CBA.

4 hours ago, Calichief said:

He just seems different. I don’t see him putting the team in a bad spot.

I think the first contract will be enormous, then after he's made a mountain of money, subsequent contracts later in the career will be more friendly.  He could have a career ending injury tomorrow and cost him millions.  Get the money first, then once you're set like Brady or Mahomes who will be, then you can take less.

4 hours ago, Biggjliv4 said:

He's given us a phenomenal performance on a rookie contract, he doesn't owe us anything. He deserves and should be the highest paid player in history. Next contract maybe, but this contract is his payday and should be. 

I agree. I don't how accurate it is, but according to Pro-football-reference he makes $645,000 per season. That's a lot of money compared to most of us, but not compared to other NFL players who have done way less than Mahomes, some of them Chiefs Players..  

2 hours ago, qnet said:

I agree. I don't how accurate it is, but according to Pro-football-reference he makes $645,000 per season. That's a lot of money compared to most of us, but not compared to other NFL players who have done way less than Mahomes, some of them Chiefs Players..  

He’s is making millions on  endorsements. I bet that Oakley deal is massive.

I am by no means, saying he should do it. I just think he’s a different cat.

25 minutes ago, Calichief said:

He’s is making millions on  On endorsements. I bet that Oakley deal is massive.

i by no means saying he should do it. I just think he’s a different cat.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from, and it's possible. 

I actually wouldn't mind him doing it, especially if it helped the team; I just wouldn't blame him if he didn't. My thoughts on the subject are coming from an emotional fan aspect. He's given me a lot of enjoyment & excitement watching the Chiefs, knowing they have a chance in every game.  

I think Pat gets the highest QB salary but doesn't really push the market as high as he could. He knows the importance of a team to win. I think Mahomes simply gets the highest QB contract but loses the "highest" within a year or two at most. 

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

IIRC there is a length  of time limit that can be done..6 years maybe?

There's no real time limit but the signing bonus cannot exceed 5 years so that's why most contracts are done for 6. It would be possible to make a 10-year deal but that would require some weird guarantees involved. 

It makes no sense to sign him 10 years except in Madden and fantasy land. Too much can happen in that time span. Yes he's elite and i hope he's a chief for life,  but real life stuff happens every day. What if he gets hurt and can't play the same after or something tragic happens in his family and the love of the game leaves? Both parties must have reasonable outs just in case. Gonna cost is now and again in 5 to 6 years, it's business. 

On 12/31/2019 at 10:39 PM, Calichief said:

In my Madden 20 franchise, Mahomes demands over $250 MILLION, the Chiefs can't afford him, he becomes a free agent, and the New England Patriots sign him just as Tom Brady retires.