Wild Card games

7 hours ago, FANATIC said:

Different Defense Now 

Much different. But Thornhills loss is very concerning especially if Fuller can play for the Texans. Those safeties are the glue of this defense and a big reason Spags can disguise coverages so well.  Just not sure what to expect. 

I'm sort of worried about Fuller, but I looked at his game logs and the raw stats against us were pretty pedestrian.  If he wasn't ready to go yesterday it's unlikely he'll be 100% next week.

Even with the loss of Thornhill last time we didn't have Jones or a balling Frank Clark or Pennel or...

I don't think Bill O'Brien is a great coach. Give Andy an extra week to prepare and he is pretty scary and the Chiefs are better than the Texans. That having been said injuries, penalties and turnovers are all factors. If the Chiefs don't turn the ball over and we don't suffer any key injuries we should be able to win comfortably.

8 minutes ago, dhitter said:

I don't think Bill O'Brien is a great coach. Give Andy an extra week to prepare and he is pretty scary and the Chiefs are better than the Texans. That having been said injuries, penalties and turnovers are all factors. If the Chiefs don't turn the ball over (commit drive killing or Texan drive extending penalties) and we don't suffer any key injuries we should be able to win comfortably.

FIFY

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Much different. But Thornhills loss is very concerning especially if Fuller can play for the Texans. Those safeties are the glue of this defense and a big reason Spags can disguise coverages so well.  Just not sure what to expect. 

Yup. It will be interesting. Texans look like a second half team. Chiefs will need to put the foot on there neck for 4 qtrers. 

Reid it’s time now to unveil the playbook and don’t hold back! 

59 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

Yup. It will be interesting. Texans look like a second half team. Chiefs will need to put the foot on there neck for 4 qtrers. 

Reid it’s time now to unveil the playbook and don’t hold back! 

Exactly right!  They rallied from 17 down at Arrowhead and 16 down yesterday.  Some teams you can just milk leads against, Andy has to know this isn’t one of those.  

Chiefs open as a staggering 9 1/2 point favorite.  

Just re-watched the Houston game on game-pass. KC got the ball just 2 times in the second half. Mahomes fumble with 39 seconds in the first half was a huge play. Other than that Houston dominated TOP and the ground game against the KC defense. Hyde with a huge game.  We will know for sure if KC D is legit this week. Can KC STOP the RUN? 

1 hour ago, dhitter said:

I don't think Bill O'Brien is a great coach. Give Andy an extra week to prepare and he is pretty scary and the Chiefs are better than the Texans. That having been said injuries, penalties and turnovers are all factors. If the Chiefs don't turn the ball over and we don't suffer any key injuries we should be able to win comfortably.

May be our biggest advantage in the game Reid > OBrien.  Great QB play can mitigate that. Spags needs a great game plan vs Watson.  

4 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Spags need a great game plan to STOP the RUN. 

Make Watson a pocket passer. He can destroy a defensive game plan if you let him run wild. We’ve got to be better against a mediocre Hyde. Not sure if we’ve given up a 100 yard rusher since then so there’s hope.  And we need to run better ourselves. 

18 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Make Watson a pocket passer. He can destroy a defensive game plan if you let him run wild. We’ve got to be better against a mediocre Hyde. Not sure if we’ve given up a 100 yard rusher since then so there’s hope.  And we need to run better ourselves. 

Hyde proved he is not mediocre. Stop the run and get pressure on Watson before he does the short release beating the linebackers. Watson did not beat KC out of the pocket as much as the running game and short passes. I think Williams is set to have a good playoff run like last year. He looks fresh and explosive.

14 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Hyde proved he is not mediocre. Stop the run and get pressure on Watson before he does the short release beating the linebackers. Watson did not beat KC out of the pocket as much as the running game and short passes. I think Williams is set to have a good playoff run like last year. He looks fresh and explosive.

Hyde went over 100 yards only once in his last 8 games and added almost zero as a receiver. Only 3 TDs.  He’s basically what we have in LeShon McCoy with more carries. If he gobbled is up again we are in trouble. Duke Johnson scares me more with Thornhill out. Who’s gonna cover him? 

33 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Hyde went over 100 yards only once in his last 8 games and added almost zero as a receiver. Only 3 TDs.  He’s basically what we have in LeShon McCoy with more carries. If he gobbled is up again we are in trouble. Duke Johnson scares me more with Thornhill out. Who’s gonna cover him? 

HYDE rushed for over 1,000 on the year and dominated KC in the last game. So there is that. Hardy mediocre/average. Yes Johnson is a force as well. KC did fine with the HYDE trade. That does not make HYDE less of a player. Note: McCoy is not mediocre. 

29 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

HYDE rushed for over 1,000 on the year and dominated KC in the last game. So there is that. Hardy mediocre/average. Yes Johnson is a force as well. KC did fine with the HYDE trade. That does not make HYDE less of a player. Note: McCoy is not mediocre. 

He averaged 65 yards per game rushing and barely broke 1000 yards.  He was 13th in the league in rushing yards, 26th in yards per attempt, which are both mediocre.  Both Hyde and McCoy are very mediocre RBs.

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

The Chiefs run defense has improved, but still allowed 100 yard rushers. It got better after the Titans game, allowing an average of 95 yard a game. The previous ten games they allowed 148 yards per game.  

In the last game, we controlled Hyde some but he got 116 yards.  it was Watson's additional 42 yards with 2 rushing tD's that really hurt.

I agree with your gameplan. 

1 hour ago, FANATIC said:

I just don’t think Hyde is a guy you have to account for more than simply keeping gap responsibility and making the tackle. Something we were struggling with in October. 

6 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

I'm sort of worried about Fuller, but I looked at his game logs and the raw stats against us were pretty pedestrian.  If he wasn't ready to go yesterday it's unlikely he'll be 100% next week.

Even with the loss of Thornhill last time we didn't have Jones or a balling Frank Clark or Pennel or...

It’s a groin deal which isn’t going away overnight. He’s gonna have some limitations if he plays.  Hopkins is elite so being able to get Ward some help with him seems like a good plan even as Charvarius has held up in solo coverage a lot. 

Andy Reid gets a lot of what I believe is bad criticism for “turtleing up” with leads. But most of the time he’s absolutely doing the right thing and his winning percentage reflects that.
In this case however he’s got to go in knowing the Texans are explosive and have proven they can rally. Whatever the game plan is, he needs to stick with it if it’s working and not go conservative. Same for Spags who’s proven throughout the year he’s not a big fan of the prevent D. 

3 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

It occurs to me that this year we played 4/5 of the other AFC playoff teams.

In every game we had a double-digit lead but the other team came back, and we split the games 2-2, all decided by <= 7 points.

No point, just an observation.

And, of course, we went 1-1 against NFC playoff teams in another pair of one score games...with Matt Moore.